PDA

View Full Version : Good Magazines

Victor Smith
25th January 2001, 18:43
I can suggest one more "GOOD" magazine. The internet's http://www.FightingArts.com .

It only represents the traditional arts and I believe it is worthy of mention (and yes I'm an associate Editor with them).

It's interesting how "Bad Budo" can eventually get around to Good Publications.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

Joseph Svinth
25th January 2001, 22:51
"If I see farther than others," Isaac Newton reportedly said, "It is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." Lots of people complain about the nonsense out there, but how many of them actually do something to stop its spread?

Think of those medieval maps, the ones that showed dragons beyond the edges of the known world. Knowledge is always like that -- the nonsense is always just over the horizon. Therefore the goal of a better quality publication should be to constantly push the horizon just a bit further.

In this area, "Dragon Times" also deserves mention as a publication with its heart in the right place. Okay, it has lots of ads, but hey, in case you hadn't noticed, it costs money to print newspapers and maintain a website that isn't cluttered with banner ads. Koryu.com and Furyu.com deserve similar mention.

And a minor spam :) -- we posted 184 articles at EJMAS last year, and expect to post a similar number this year.

Bottom line? One can say the same old bilge or one can go beyond. The choice is yours; the venues for publication, at least electronically, do exist.

TommyK
26th January 2001, 02:40
Greetings,

I'm sorry I missed both of Joe's entries and he is right! Dragon Times is decent and EJMAS is right up there with JAMA. I honestly forgot about Dragon Times and didn't consider EJMAS because I was thinking as a 20th century person and only thought of PRINT media. What a dummy, I'm sorry Joe, you're stuff is right up there with the best.

Regards,
TommyK

Steve Williams
9th February 2001, 10:23
I think that this may get a better response in the lounge (or maybe 'research methods', or maybe 'media and the martial arts'??)

Anyway it is not really relevant to bad budo.