PDA

View Full Version : shorinji kempo techniques?

merlin98
2nd October 2008, 05:26
It has been a while since I practiced Shorinji Kempo, so my memory is a little rusty of the techniques, but I'm not sure if I recognize the techniques shown here: http://www.yumedojo.net/Basic%20Techniques.htm

He states these were shown to him by visiting sensei's of Shorinji Kempo, and that some of SK's principles and concepts are taught as part its Kempo curriculum.

Not bashing the guy or anything, just curious about the techniques and the claims.

Paul Chan

merlin98
2nd October 2008, 05:29
deleted...

merlin98
2nd October 2008, 05:31
whoops...upon closer reading, it says that the techniques were SHOWN to the Sensei's of the dojo...but I think I recognzie some of the techniques now...*sgh*...the problems of aging...

tb055
2nd October 2008, 08:28
One for the WSKO lawyers I think.

One a lighter note, I never knew big game cats stuck their fingers in the eyes of their prey when performing a palm strike. Everyday is a learning day.:D

dirk.bruere
2nd October 2008, 13:40
One for the WSKO lawyers I think.

One a lighter note, I never knew big game cats stuck their fingers in the eyes of their prey when performing a palm strike. Everyday is a learning day.:D

They also bite their necks to sever the spine.
I wouldn't mind betting that someone somewhere claims to be able to do that as well.

Dirk

Tripitaka of AA
2nd October 2008, 18:14
I always enjoy reading through websites.
This one appears to have included quite a lot of "roots" for its curriculum, including various types of Okinawan Kempo, some Hawaiian Kempo and sundry others. It explains that it originally began with Aikido.

The sections "About Yume Dojo", "Yume Dojo Family Tree" and "Masters Bios" explain how it comes to have such an interesting mix of styles. None of these sections mentions any sources for what they term "Shorinji Kempo" techniques.

It would appear that they are unaware of the copyright issues concerning the term "Shorinji Kempo".

Kari MakiKuutti
3rd October 2008, 14:42
It would appear that they are unaware of the copyright issues concerning the term "Shorinji Kempo".
The term Shorinji Kempo is not copyrighted. Only the (new) trademark is.

dirk.bruere
3rd October 2008, 14:44

Is that a factor in why the Swastika was dumped? I imagine it would be rather difficult to trademark it.

Dirk

Steve Malton
3rd October 2008, 15:04
Is that a factor in why the Swastika was dumped? I imagine it would be rather difficult to trademark it.

Dirk
In part, yes. A unified logo was required for a trademark to be established - the manji couldn't be used in Germany/Austria by law and would be near impossible to trademark in Asia. Would also be pretty tricky to use in the US I imagine...

sean dixie
3rd October 2008, 15:05
We never used the swastika, we used the manji. Not normaly a pedant but there is a critical difference.

dirk.bruere
3rd October 2008, 15:12
We never used the swastika, we used the manji. Not normaly a pedant but there is a critical difference.

What difference?

Dirk

Steve Williams
3rd October 2008, 15:37
What difference?

Dirk

Mainly the perception, not the physical difference......

The swastika, once a symbol of good luck welfare prosperity or victory, was taken and "misused/abused" by the nazi party in germany , so whenever people say "swastika" then 99.99% of people think of Nazi germany and their wartime atrocities (certainly everyone outside of Asia).

More swastika info is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

hsuntzu
4th October 2008, 08:11

"Shorinji Kempo" is a registered service mark (in US lingo, I'm not sure about the terminologies used in other countries) in countries that WSKO is active. Therefore it is not free to be used by anyone, and improper use needs to be reported to properly protect the name.

As to what a "service mark" is versus a "trademark"... I'm not an IP lawyer, so my understanding is limited. The way its been explained to me is whether it is physically tangible or not. My limited understanding is that:

Trademark - registering of a specific design or art for uses as in a Logo. Ex: the so-en/double circle is a logo, the stylized & specific way of writing out "Shorinji Kempo" as part of the new logo is...obviously... a logo, and therefore "trademark"

Service Mark - registering a name that represents something intangible, like a type of service, work offered, or activities. I think slogans used can fall in this category as well.

They both can be generally referred as "trademark" also, so I guess one way to put it is that a "service mark" is one type of a "trademark".

Gassho