PDA

View Full Version : Several versions of Unsu.. the favorite tournament Kata

john_lord_b3
4th October 2008, 20:59
Dear friends,

Here are several varations of the Kata UNSU, the favorite tournament Kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8rHWmzZ9c

Shotokan version of Unsu by Kanazawa shihan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLrqgGPKelA

Wado version of Unsu by Ajari sensei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtCZQN60Xc

Shito-ryu version by Rose sensei

Just like Sochin, legends has it that this Kata was created by Aragaki sensei of Okinawa. And now we have three versions of it, three versions which are clearly connected to each others (unlike the versions of Sochin which does not resembles each others at all).

Each versions has their own beauty and strength, I admire them all.

What are your thoughts, friends? Don't you think it will be interesting to see which version are oldest/newest, why the founder of each style adjust the Kata to their ideas, what changes has been made, what improvements has been adapted, etc?

Thank you for your kind attention.

powerof0ne
8th October 2008, 01:24
I found the Shito ryu video weird because I was a shito ryu stylist and was taught Unsu quite a bit differently...more similar to the Shotokan video.
I found the Wado video interesting and quite a bit different.
Any idea what ha the shito ryu stylist is from? His form looked good but was just different than I was taught Unsu in '96. Granted, me being a former hayashi ha shito ryu guy, things might have changed since.
I myself, prefer chinto and paiku as my favorite kata.

Rob Alvelais
8th October 2008, 01:41
Granted, me being a former hayashi ha shito ryu guy, things might have changed since.

Hayashi Ha, as far back as the late 80's in the USAKF competitions did their Unshu very much like the Shitokai version (http://shitokai.com/movies/unsu.php) which, to my eye is close to the version posted above.

Some shito groups (Kotaka Ha comes to mind) have adopted the Shotokan Unsu, but that's not the one traditionally seen in shito ryu.

Rob

john_lord_b3
8th October 2008, 07:56
I found the Wado video interesting and quite a bit different.

Yes, it was a version which Otsuka sensei taught to his senior students, but he died before the Kata become standarized. During his lifetime, Otsuka sensei only standarized 9 Katas. to learn the rest we must go to the seniors such as Mr. Ajari who performed the Kata in the video above. From what I heard (I might be wrong), Otsuka sensei learned Unsu from Funakoshi sensei and Mabuni sensei, and he might have adjusted the two versions of Unsu to fit to his way of thinking, then later completely discard it because later in life he consider 9 Kata is enough.

Which Chinto that you are doing Brian san. The one that goes diagonal, or the one that has the Nidan Geri double flying kick several moves from the beginning?

john_lord_b3
8th October 2008, 08:02
Hayashi Ha, as far back as the late 80's in the USAKF competitions did their Unshu very much like the Shitokai version (http://shitokai.com/movies/unsu.php) which, to my eye is close to the version posted above.

I remember I learned a version of Kata "Hakaku" (or was it Hakutsuru?), the white crane Kata, which is said to came from Hayashi-Ha Shito-ryu. The opening looks a little bit like Unsu. Do you know this Kata Rob san?

Rob Alvelais
8th October 2008, 13:54
I remember I learned a version of Kata "Hakaku" (or was it Hakutsuru?), the white crane Kata, which is said to came from Hayashi-Ha Shito-ryu. The opening looks a little bit like Unsu. Do you know this Kata Rob san?

No, I never picked up that kata, but there's a video floating around out there of Hayashi sensei performing the kata. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkeEB6DOLzs)

john_lord_b3
8th October 2008, 14:14
Yes, that's the one. I also learned something else which looks like it, it is called Paiho.

Kobudo
22nd October 2008, 21:33
In traditional karate there are four different styles, shito ryu, wado ryu, goju ryu, and shodakon (I think i got the spelling right) anyway, yes they may look somewhat the same they all have thier own flavor which identifies them to their own style. Hashashi ha is the only style that mixes all the styles and makes its own. Example circulair foot movement (gojo ryu) lenair movement (shito ryu) low stance Shodakan The placement of your chambered hand may also indentify your style as in Wado Ryu. I can't see myself performing a Kata with my foot movement of gojo ryu and my upper body movements of shito ryu with my hand movement of shodakon.
Just thinking
Kobudo

john_lord_b3
23rd October 2008, 08:15
In traditional karate there are four different styles, shito ryu, wado ryu, goju ryu, and shodakon (I think i got the spelling right) anyway, yes they may look somewhat the same they all have thier own flavor which identifies them to their own style. Hashashi ha is the only style that mixes all the styles and makes its own. Example circulair foot movement (gojo ryu) lenair movement (shito ryu) low stance Shodakan The placement of your chambered hand may also indentify your style as in Wado Ryu. I can't see myself performing a Kata with my foot movement of gojo ryu and my upper body movements of shito ryu with my hand movement of shodakon.
Just thinking
Kobudo

Maybe what you meant by Shodakon is Shotokan. :)

It is always a problem to try to write down a term in foreign language. :(

Kobudo
23rd October 2008, 13:58
Bad language or not point is made, yes karate is foreign language is foreign. But we must all agree it is a way of life (Karate). Oh remember there are two types of karate. Frist we have tradition karate styles (there are four styles), second we have mix martial arts.
Kobudo

john_lord_b3
24th October 2008, 05:31
agree, and I do the traditional Karate. I am yet to see mix martial arts Karate. What they looks like? Do they practice Kata too?

Casper Baar
25th October 2008, 12:20
All karate is traditional. The four major traditional styles strory does not make sense in the context of traditional (really, think about it). Uechi-ryu is not tradional? Or Kyokushin? There are just older and newer traditions. The four major styles are certainly not the oldest traditions.
Matter of fact, if the the teacher made the mix and the student follows the mix, MMA is traditional to the student. Like someone who used to hang out here said: traditional is what sensei says is traditional...

When practicing one tradition we soon use this frame of reference to look at other traditions. That's what makes comparing kata whith the same origin so difficult. For instance in wado Unsu is not praticed much there is not a standard set by the founder, probably because he thought the kata wasn't really important. Unsu might be making a come-back in wado because of kata-tournaments (a tradition by itself?). In other styles Unsu might be instrumental in teaching what needs to be learned.

It's always fun to look at kata from different styles, but to say something intelligent about the comparison?

Kobudo
28th October 2008, 18:02
Unsu may look somewhat the same in some styles and it may look different in other. Yes it all depends on the style or system of karate. The two that I find hard to tell apart is Shotokan and Hayashi and thats because Hayashi is Shotokan. You've got me thinking because Unsu is the Kata I plan to learn next. Shito kai or Wado Ryu? Will you give you input on Unsu?
Kodudo

john_lord_b3
29th October 2008, 04:57
I think Shotokan Unsu has the biggest chance of winning in tournaments, because it has the 360 degrees jump which are impressive.