PDA

View Full Version : Listing of Karate Ryuha of Japan

Prince Loeffler
8th October 2008, 00:53
I am assisting one of my student who decided to undertake a long term project. So far this is what we both found. The criteria is really simple. This "art" must be established in Japan pre-war or post war. if the art was established or founded outside of Japan, it does not count. What we are looking for is the Name and the Founder's Name and the current status ( Active, Renamed or Defunct)

A

Ashihara Kaikan - Founded by Hidiyuki Ashihara [ active ]

B

C

Chito Ryu - Founded by Chitose Tsuyoshi [ active ]

D

Daido Juku Karate-Do - Founded by Jukucho Azuma Takashi [ active ]

E

Enshin Karate - Founded by Joko Ninomiya [ active ]

F

G

Gensei Ryu - founded by Seiken Shukumine [ active ]

Gosuku-ryu - Founded by Takayuki Kubota [ active ]

H

I

J

K

Kansuiryu Karate - Founded by Yukio Mizutani and Kanji Inoki [ active ]

Kyokushin Kaikan - Founded by Masutatsu Oyama [ active ]

Koei-Kan - Founded by Onishi Eizo [ active ]

Kishimoto-ha Karate - Founded by Kishimoto Sokō [ Status: Unknown ]

L

M

N

O

P

Pan Gai Noon Ryu - Uechi Kanbun (renamed: Uechi ryu) [ active ]

Q

R

S

Seidokaikan - Founded by Kazuyoshi Ishii [ active ]

Shotokan - founded by Gichen Funakushi [ active ]

Shito Ryu - Founded by Kenwa Mabuni [ active ]

Shidokan Karate - Founded by Yoshiji Soeno [ active ]

Seido Juku - Founded by Tadashi Nakamura [ active ]

Shorinji Kempo - Doshin So [ active ]

Shorinji-Ryu Renshinkan - Founded by Isamu Tamotsu [ active ]

Shorinji-Ryu Kenkokan - Founded by Kori Hisataka [ active ]

T

Tani-ha Shito-ryū - Founded by Chojiro Tani [ active ]

U

V

W

Wado Ryu - Founded by Hironori Otsuka [ active ]

X

Y

Yoseikan Karate - Founded by Minoru Mochizuki [ active ]

Yoshukai Karate - Founder by Mamuro Yamamoto [ active ]

Z

For Okinawan Karate Listing , Click Here (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41484)

powerof0ne
8th October 2008, 01:12
Daido Juku isn't really Karate anymore but is an offshoot from Kyokushin. It's known as Kudo and can be looked at by some as a MMA style. Unlike most MMA fighters that have a strong background in wrestling or BJJ most winners in the hakutoki have a strong muay thai, knockdown karate, and/or kickboxing background. Fighters like Schilt and Kato had success in Kudo competition(Kato was a strong thaiboxer under Master Toddy in the 90s)and also in Muay Thai/kickboxing/mma competition.
Many people that train in Daido Juku also go to Thailand to train in Muay Thai and to other gyms to train in BJJ, etc. Daido Juku is Kudo, not Karate-do.
http://www.daidojuku.com/eng/index.htm

Prince Loeffler
8th October 2008, 01:30
Daido Juku isn't really Karate anymore but is an offshoot from Kyokushin. It's known as Kudo and can be looked at by some as a MMA style. Unlike most MMA fighters that have a strong background in wrestling or BJJ most winners in the hakutoki have a strong muay thai, knockdown karate, and/or kickboxing background. Fighters like Schilt and Kato had success in Kudo competition(Kato was a strong thaiboxer under Master Toddy in the 90s)and also in Muay Thai/kickboxing/mma competition.
Many people that train in Daido Juku also go to Thailand to train in Muay Thai and to other gyms to train in BJJ, etc. Daido Juku is Kudo, not Karate-do.
http://www.daidojuku.com/eng/index.htm

Thanks Brian. They did start off as Karate right ? Would it be a safe bet to remove it from the list or keep on the list and "label" it as renamed ?

powerof0ne
8th October 2008, 03:02
I was going to say no, Prince, but I reread the history of it and it says:
""Kudo" was born and developed from Kakutou Kara-te(-do) founded by Azuma Takashi in 1980."

I will ask and see if perhaps they used to practice kata? Call me crazy, but karate without kata isn't karate anymore(at least to me).

I know that today the style has no kata in it's syllabus to make rank but does place emphasis on knockdown kumite for rank. I know somebody that tested for shodan a year or two ago(he passed) and had to do knockdown kumite(kyokushin rules) when he said he rarely, if ever even practices that in the dojo he trains in. He's more of a muay thai guy and has had some success in the tournaments but has lost to some superior grapplers by way of submission.
In all honesty, if I ever lived nearby a Daido Juku dojo I would train there. I like that it has a budo kind of spirit but does grappling, thaiboxing, and knockdown kumite. Too bad it doesn't have kata but no style that I have found is perfect :D.
I wasn't trying to nitpick but was just remembering how it pushed to be known as Kudo recently.

Prince Loeffler
8th October 2008, 04:26
Hi Brian

I can't find anything on "Kakutou Kara-te(-do)" , Is this style now "defunct" ?

powerof0ne
12th October 2008, 03:48
From what I understand it's been even known as Hamidashi(sp?)karate and kakato karate(again sp?). As of 2006 from Kudoka the Daido Juku prefer it only being called Kudo, not Karate. I know they're even working on opening a dojo in NY and a kyokushin guy I know of in NC is trying to start a branch around the Lexington, NC area. I believe they will be even having a Daido Juku seminar in Nov(in NC) a few days before Thanksgiving.
I will be there, but not participating...I'm lucky I can even walk right now but have been interested in this style for many years.
On a side note can we add Hayashi ha shito ryu kai to this list?

Prince Loeffler
12th October 2008, 03:56
From what I understand it's been even known as Hamidashi(sp?)karate and kakato karate(again sp?). As of 2006 from Kudoka the Daido Juku prefer it only being called Kudo, not Karate. I know they're even working on opening a dojo in NY and a kyokushin guy I know of in NC is trying to start a branch around the Lexington, NC area. I believe they will be even having a Daido Juku seminar in Nov(in NC) a few days before Thanksgiving.
I will be there, but not participating...I'm lucky I can even walk right now but have been interested in this style for many years.
On a side note can we add Hayashi ha shito ryu kai to this list?

Thanks and Yes Hayashi ha shito ryu is added

Andrew S
12th October 2008, 09:29
Jinen Shindo Ryu, founded by Yasuhiro Konishi.

drosera99
12th October 2008, 17:37
Uechi-ryu founded by Uechi Kanbun. The art is still active.

powerof0ne
12th October 2008, 18:02
Uechi-ryu founded by Uechi Kanbun. The art is still active.
It's also on the list...Pangai noon ryu, check it out.

Andrew S
12th October 2008, 18:27
Nippon Kempo, founded by Muneomi Sawayama.

Prince Loeffler
12th October 2008, 22:15

Added ! Thanks !

TimoS
13th October 2008, 09:31

This style has some off-shoots. Here's what I know of (from a list compiled by other finnish ex-Renshinkan practitioners):

Shorinryu Joshinmon, founded by Hoshu Ikeda
Ryukyu Shorinryu Gesshinkai Karatedo, founded by Toshiro Okada
Reiwaryu Ryushinkan, founded by Shosaku Ueno
Shorinryu Seishinkan, founded by Yoshitoshi Sato
Taura ryu karate, founded by Motomu Ikubo
Gijomonkai karate, founded by Yoshiji Kaku

Taura ryu is quite recent, having been founded only this year. The others have been around for years and should all be active.
As for Gijomonkai karate, I think it is still practised, but the only links that mention the style or the founder seem to be in finnish

john_lord_b3
13th October 2008, 10:20
http://kushinryu-m-karatedo.blogspot.com/2006/05/kushin-ryu-m-karate-do-indonesia.html

Kushin-ryu Karatedo, founded by Ueshima Sannosuke. Still active in Indonesia (brought to Indonesia by its current soke, Matsuzaki).

Kushin-ryu also contains a lineage of Kukishin-ryu Bojutsu, whom Ueshima Sannosuke learned from Matsuhara Kahei.

Spyder
13th October 2008, 10:20
I wouldn't characterize Shorinjikempo as Karate. Sure, it certainly has influences from Karate but so does Taido for example.

Prince Loeffler
13th October 2008, 18:32
I wouldn't characterize Shorinjikempo as Karate. Sure, it certainly has influences from Karate but so does Taido for example.

Thanks ! Do you wish to "remove" Shorinji Kempo off the list ?

Prince Loeffler
13th October 2008, 20:21
http://kushinryu-m-karatedo.blogspot.com/2006/05/kushin-ryu-m-karate-do-indonesia.html

Kushin-ryu Karatedo, founded by Ueshima Sannosuke. Still active in Indonesia (brought to Indonesia by its current soke, Matsuzaki).

Kushin-ryu also contains a lineage of Kukishin-ryu Bojutsu, whom Ueshima Sannosuke learned from Matsuhara Kahei.

In my Okinawan Ryuha list, I have Kushin Ryu founded by Shintaro Yoshizato. Any relationship ? Lineage ? Offshoot ? Breakaway ?

Thanks Ben ! Good to see you here brother !

Prince Loeffler
13th October 2008, 20:24
This style has some off-shoots. Here's what I know of (from a list compiled by other finnish ex-Renshinkan practitioners):

Shorinryu Joshinmon, founded by Hoshu Ikeda
Ryukyu Shorinryu Gesshinkai Karatedo, founded by Toshiro Okada
Reiwaryu Ryushinkan, founded by Shosaku Ueno
Shorinryu Seishinkan, founded by Yoshitoshi Sato
Taura ryu karate, founded by Motomu Ikubo
Gijomonkai karate, founded by Yoshiji Kaku

Taura ryu is quite recent, having been founded only this year. The others have been around for years and should all be active.
As for Gijomonkai karate, I think it is still practised, but the only links that mention the style or the founder seem to be in finnish

Added ! Thanks Timo ! I will be posting the updated list soon. I like this project a lot.

TimoS
13th October 2008, 21:12
Added ! Thanks Timo ! I will be posting the updated list soon. I like this project a lot.

No problem. There were at least two federations mentioned in the list too, but I didn't include those as there was no mention of the style

There is also a finnish off-shoot from Renshinkan, but I guess you're not interested in that. The head of that particular style is originally from Japan, but he's been living here for over 30 years now and back in 2005 he formed his own style here.

john_lord_b3
14th October 2008, 06:26
In my Okinawan Ryuha list, I have Kushin Ryu founded by Shintaro Yoshizato. Any relationship ? Lineage ? Offshoot ? Breakaway ?

According to their website:

http://kushinryu-m-karatedo.blogspot.com/2005/12/kushin-ryu.html

In the decade one of the 20, several teachers of Karate arrived from Okinawa at the city of Osaka, and with them the Ueshima teacher practice this branch of the martial arts. Their professors were: Choki Motobu, that taught the Tomari-Ja style. Kanamori Kinzyo, that taught the styles Shorin and Goju. Choshin Chibana, founder and professor of the Shorin style. In 1932 the Ueshima teacher found the style of Karate Kushin Ryu, result of the union of the Konshin-Ryu with elements of the Karate that the teacher add.

Therefore, their line is from Choki Motobu, Kanamori Kinjo and Choshin Chibana. I think Ueshima sensei was a Jujutsu-Bojutsu person who later interested in Karate, learned from resident Okinawan in Tokyo and later founded his own style.

john_lord_b3
14th October 2008, 06:28

Good to see you to Prince. How's training?

Prince Loeffler
14th October 2008, 19:08
No problem. There were at least two federations mentioned in the list too, but I didn't include those as there was no mention of the style

There is also a finnish off-shoot from Renshinkan, but I guess you're not interested in that. The head of that particular style is originally from Japan, but he's been living here for over 30 years now and back in 2005 he formed his own style here.

I am saving this part of ths list. There will be a section for Karate Ryuha outside of Japan / Okinawa soon. I just want to get all ones from Japan and Okinawa.

The list is growing.

Prince Loeffler
14th October 2008, 19:15
Good to see you to Prince. How's training?

It was brutal, unrelenting and utterly chaotic brother ! ....wait a sec..Oh you mean my karate training ? Its good ! I thought we were talking about my date last night :D

john_lord_b3
16th October 2008, 11:44
It was brutal, unrelenting and utterly chaotic brother ! ....wait a sec..Oh you mean my karate training ? Its good ! I thought we were talking about my date last night :D

Haha, glad to hear the training is good. As for your last date, sorry to hear that, but I am sure good looking Asians like us will have no trouble getting dates ;)

In Indonesia there are several new Karate organizations founded by people who studied Karate with Japanese masters or their Indonesian representatives, then broke away and became independent. I think they cannot be included on the list, but if you are interested I can give you info. Thank you.

beto_gutz
24th October 2008, 00:07
No listing for Taishu-Kai Goju Ryu? Soke is Shirota,Taishu.Thanks Beto Gutierrez

Prince Loeffler
24th October 2008, 00:22
No listing for Taishu-Kai Goju Ryu? Soke is Shirota,Taishu.Thanks Beto Gutierrez

Thanks Beto San, Could tell me more of Taishu-Kai Goju Ryu ? I can't find anything on google. The ones I find bring me back here in E-Budo and the rest are in spanish.

Thanks again !

Prince Loeffler
24th October 2008, 01:31
A

Ashihara Kaikan - Founded by Hidiyuki Ashihara [ active ]

B

C

Chito Ryu - Founded by Chitose Tsuyoshi [ active ]

D

Daido Juku - Founded by Jukucho Azuma Takashi [ active ]

E

Enshin Karate - Founded by Joko Ninomiya [ active ]

F

G

Gensei Ryu - founded by Seiken Shukumine [ active ]

Gosuku-ryu - Founded by Takayuki Kubota [ active ]

Gijomonkai karate - Founded by Yoshiji Kaku [ active ]

H

Hayashi-ha Shito Ryu - Founded by Teruo Hayashi [ active ]

I

J

Jinen Shindo Ryu - Founded by Yasuhiro Konishi [ active ]

Joshinmon Shorinryu - Founded by Hoshu Ikeda [active]

K

Kansuiryu Karate - Founded by Yukio Mizutani and Kanji Inoki [ active ]

Kyokushin Kaikan - Founded by Masutatsu Oyama [ active ]

Koei-Kan - Founded by Onishi Eizo [ active ]

Kishimoto-ha Karate - Founded by Kishimoto Sokō [ Status: Unknown ]

Kakutou Karatedo - Founded by Azuma Takashi [renamed: Daido Kudo]

Kushin-ryu Karatedo - Founded by Ueshima Sannosuke [ active ]

L

M

N

Nippon Kempo - Founded by Muneomi Sawayama [ active ]

O

P

Pan Gai Noon Ryu - Uechi Kanbun (renamed: Uechi ryu) [ active ]

Q

R

Ryukyu Shorinryu Gesshinkai Karatedo - Founded by Toshiro Okada

Reiwaryu Ryushinkan - Founded by Shosaku Ueno [active]

S

Seidokaikan - Founded by Kazuyoshi Ishii [ active ]

Shotokan - founded by Gichen Funakushi [ active ]

Shito Ryu - Founded by Kenwa Mabuni [ active ]

Shidokan Karate - Founded by Yoshiji Soeno [ active ]

Seido Juku - Founded by Tadashi Nakamura [ active ]

Shorinji Kempo - Doshin So [ active ]

Shorinji-Ryu Kenkokan - Founded by Kori Hisataka [ active ]

Shudokan - Founded Kanken Toyama [ active ]

Shindo Jinen-Ryu Karate-Jutsu - Yasuhiro Konishi [ active ]

Shorinryu Seishinkan - Founded by Yoshitoshi Sato [active]

T

Tani-ha Shito-ryū - Founded by Chojiro Tani [ active ]

Taura ryu - Founded by Motomu Ikubo [ active ]

U

V

W

Wado Ryu - Founded by Hironori Otsuka [ active ]

X

Y

Yoseikan Karate - Founded by Minoru Mochizuki [ active ]

Yoshukai Karate - Founder by Mamuro Yamamoto [ active ]

Z

Joseph Svinth
24th October 2008, 02:00
Since you are including Pangai-nun/Uechi-ryu and Shito-ryu, why are you excluding the Goju-ryu derivative systems?

Prince Loeffler
24th October 2008, 02:13
Since you are including Pangai-nun/Uechi-ryu and Shito-ryu, why are you excluding the Goju-ryu derivative systems?

I am not, I just don't know how or where the styles are now. Just asking the forumites to keep posting all they know.

Thanks !

Joseph Svinth
24th October 2008, 04:49
Goju Kai (Gogen Yamaguchi) is one of the major Japanese systems. There are offshoots, of course, but in terms of numbers of students, it is one of the big ones.

beto_gutz
24th October 2008, 04:51
Thanks for your response. Photos,circa 1920-1930 and history will be coming to you soon.Thank you.Beto Gutierrez,Student of Nakamura,Isao,Kyoshi.Goju Ryu Taishu-Kai.

Prince Loeffler
24th October 2008, 04:51
Goju Kai (Gogen Yamaguchi) is one of the major Japanese systems. There are offshoots, of course, but in terms of numbers of students, it is one of the big ones.

Listed ! Thanks Mr. Svinth !

Jinmukan
27th November 2008, 05:20

Actually, it's Shindo Jinen Ryu.

The CyberDojo had a list like yours, Prince. But that was many years ago and I don't know what happened to it.

But good work, Prince! The list will be an excellent reference.

Prince Loeffler
27th November 2008, 09:25

The CyberDojo had a list like yours, Prince. But that was many years ago and I don't know what happened to it.

But good work, Prince! The list will be an excellent reference.

Thanks ! I intend to keep this list growing. It will something I plan to do for a long time. I am also going to start a website just based on this but more in-depth with my students as well as members of E-budo

Andrew S
27th November 2008, 11:18

Thanks for the correction. Serves me right for posting when wife was calling...

Phil Farmer
28th November 2008, 03:39
Your notation of Yoseikan Karate is interesting but not quite accurate. In 1931 Minoru Mochizuki started the Yoseikan in Shizuoka, Japan. He was a student of Kano, Ueshiba, and Funikoshi, but initially karate skills were not practiced. Instead, Kano Sensei, a highly ranked Shotokan instructor taught at Hombu Dojo. In recent years, about the last 20 or so, Yoseikan karate, under Kano was taught, especially in Australia.

In the 1950's, Mochizuki Sensei introduced aikido to Europe and then a few years later, Hiroo Mochizuki introduced Shotokan karate in Europe. Over the years, he began to develop Yoseikan karate and then by the 1980's, it became Yoseikan Budo, which is what is taught now, in 35 plus countries around the world. The karate skills of Yoseikan Budo are from shotokan, wado ryu, and boxe francais (savate). Shihan Mochizuki was awarded a ninth dan in Karate by the french karate federation. To my knowledge, Yoseikan karate is only practiced in Australia and on a limited basis in Japan.

I hope this helps clarify the Yoseikan connection.

john_lord_b3
28th November 2008, 05:58
In the 1950's, Mochizuki Sensei introduced aikido to Europe and then a few years later, Hiroo Mochizuki introduced Shotokan karate in Europe. Over the years, he began to develop Yoseikan karate and then by the 1980's, it became Yoseikan Budo, which is what is taught now, in 35 plus countries around the world. The karate skills of Yoseikan Budo are from shotokan, wado ryu, and boxe francais (savate).

I think I have mentioned this elsewhere in e-budo..from what I know, my teacher who is a direct student of Otsuka soke (founder of Wado) once remarked that Mochizuki soke (Hiroo) is known as a Wado black belt who lives in Paris, and whose father (Mochizuki Minoru) is a Jujutsu master.

Hiroo sensei is also known to have surprised a French boxer whom are much bigger than him during a friendly sparring, by forcing a draw with the boxer, despite not being experienced (at that time) in French boxing. I read this in a an article long ago.

What I would like to ask Farmer sensei is this: What is the official position of the Yoseikan Hombu (Hiroo sensei) regarding the individual parts of the Mochizuki arts? Are they all ordered to dissolve into one single Yoseikan Budo, or are they allowed to exist in individual parts i.e "Yoseikan Karate", "Yoseikan Jujutsu", "Yoseikan Aikido", etc?

Because, if all of them are dissolved into one single Yoseikan Budo, then the style of Yoseikan Karate should be considered "cease to exist due to superior order" and should not be included in the list of still-existing Karate groups.

Thank you Farmer sensei for your kind participation.

Prince Loeffler
28th November 2008, 08:20
I think I have mentioned this elsewhere in e-budo..from what I know, my teacher who is a direct student of Otsuka soke (founder of Wado) once remarked that Mochizuki soke (Hiroo) is known as a Wado black belt who lives in Paris, and whose father (Mochizuki Minoru) is a Jujutsu master.

Hiroo sensei is also known to have surprised a French boxer whom are much bigger than him during a friendly sparring, by forcing a draw with the boxer, despite not being experienced (at that time) in French boxing. I read this in a an article long ago.

What I would like to ask Farmer sensei is this: What is the official position of the Yoseikan Hombu (Hiroo sensei) regarding the individual parts of the Mochizuki arts? Are they all ordered to dissolve into one single Yoseikan Budo, or are they allowed to exist in individual parts i.e "Yoseikan Karate", "Yoseikan Jujutsu", "Yoseikan Aikido", etc?

Because, if all of them are dissolved into one single Yoseikan Budo, then the style of Yoseikan Karate should be considered "cease to exist due to superior order" and should not be included in the list of still-existing Karate groups.

Thank you Farmer sensei for your kind participation.

Thanks Ben and Farmer San, Your post are duly noted and I will be updating my list soon. Also, Ben San , Yoseikan Karate status will be updated to Inactive.

Phil Farmer
28th November 2008, 15:42
Thanks for the attentive reading of my post and excellent questions. At this time, Yoseikan Budo is one art. Six years ago there were different sections within the art, karate, aiki, jiujutsu, etc. Now, it is one art, so you should consider it to be inactive. But, there may be a change, Shihan Mochizuki has been asked to do different clinics in karate and judo in the last year or two. He has begun to consider having karate Mochizuki, aiki Mochizuki, judo Mochiauki, etc. If he decides to do so, these arts would be under the supervision of Yoseikan World Federation, but students in each one would not have to learn the comprehensive budo, only the parts that apply to the particular art they want to study.

As an aside, Shihan related to me a couple of years ago that he had indeed studied savate with a master of the art while he lived in Paris. That influence can still be seen in many of the ways we block and kick. Also, his talents are incredible, since he became a Golden Gloves boxer while in France. Hope this helps...

Jinmukan
2nd December 2008, 03:38

They may be two different styles of the same name. Kushin Ryu in my records indicate that Ueshima is the founder, but is "Japanese" karate. According to my records, Kushin ryu is one of the first six schools recognized by the Dai Nippon Butokukai.

Prince Loeffler
2nd December 2008, 07:01
They may be two different styles of the same name. Kushin Ryu in my records indicate that Ueshima is the founder, but is "Japanese" karate. According to my records, Kushin ryu is one of the first six schools recognized by the Dai Nippon Butokukai.

You may be right, perhaps I may have overlooked the fact that Kushin Ryu was indeed established in Osaka Japan. The founders Kensei Kinjo and Sannosuke Ueshima were Okinawan. Interestingly enough, Kinjo's top student / disciple Shintaro Yoshizato was the person responsible in introducing this art to Okinawa in the 60's.

Thanks Mr. High !

john_lord_b3
11th December 2008, 05:52
Thanks for the attentive reading of my post and excellent questions. At this time, Yoseikan Budo is one art. Six years ago there were different sections within the art, karate, aiki, jiujutsu, etc. Now, it is one art, so you should consider it to be inactive. But, there may be a change, Shihan Mochizuki has been asked to do different clinics in karate and judo in the last year or two. He has begun to consider having karate Mochizuki, aiki Mochizuki, judo Mochiauki, etc. If he decides to do so, these arts would be under the supervision of Yoseikan World Federation, but students in each one would not have to learn the comprehensive budo, only the parts that apply to the particular art they want to study.

As an aside, Shihan related to me a couple of years ago that he had indeed studied savate with a master of the art while he lived in Paris. That influence can still be seen in many of the ways we block and kick. Also, his talents are incredible, since he became a Golden Gloves boxer while in France. Hope this helps...

thank you very much Farmer sensei for your very informative post. I hope Yoseikan Budo will grow more in the future. I am sure the plan for further subdivision of Yoseikan Budo will only bring good things for Yoseikan, because it will allow Yoseikan student to choose which aspect of the art they will prefer to study more in-depth.

PS: I am sending you a PM.

john_lord_b3
8th January 2009, 13:59
Kushin-ryu Karatedo - Founded by Ueshima Sannosuke [ active ]

just a tiny bit of details..

http://kushin-ryu.blogspot.com/

Kushin-ryu Karatedo in Indonesia teaches not only Karate but also a style of Jujutsu called Kushin-ryu Jujitsu.

Juara dunia karate asal Jepang, Sawanori Matsuzaki berikan pelatihan kepada 315 karateka sabuk hitam Kushinryu M Karatedo Indonesia (KKI) di Pantai Pangandaran, Ciamis, Jabar selama tiga hari. Sawanori yang juga putra bungsu Presiden Kushin Ryu Soke Horyu Matsuzaki itu, selain memberikan pembekalan teknik kumite dan Jujitsu Kushin Ryu, juga memberikan pemahaman secara menyeluruh mengenai spirit bushido yang harus tertanam dan dipegang teguh oleh pelatih maupun para atlet. “Aliran Kushin Ryu memiliki teknik beladiri yang sudah ada sejak lima ratus tahun lalu. Teknik-teknik ini harus mutlak dikuasai seorang Kushin Ryu. Teknik tersebut tak bisa diubah-ubah karena sudah teruji oleh para pendiri Kushin Ryu sejak ratusan tahun lalu. Dan inilah keunggulan aliran karate Kushin Ryu dengan karate lainnya,”

according to above quote, Sawanori Matsuzaki the son of Kushin-ryu President Soke Horyu Matsuzaki teaches also Kushin-ryu Jujitsu, which he said has been created five hundred years ago.

robertmrivers
8th January 2009, 20:37
Tozan Ryu: Shinsuke Kaneshima
Seidokan: Shian Toma
Motobu Kempo: Choki Motobu
Okinawan Kempo: Shigeru Nakamura
If you want to get creative
Shorin: Matsubayashi (Nagamine), Kobayashi (Chibana,Nakazato), Shobayashi (Shimabuku).

Actually, Mark Bishop's book should be a pretty good reference for those compiling the information. There's a lot to list...

All the best

Rob

Prince Loeffler
8th January 2009, 20:50
Tozan Ryu: Shinsuke Kaneshima
Seidokan: Shian Toma
Motobu Kempo: Choki Motobu
Okinawan Kempo: Shigeru Nakamura
If you want to get creative
Shorin: Matsubayashi (Nagamine), Kobayashi (Chibana,Nakazato), Shobayashi (Shimabuku).

Actually, Mark Bishop's book should be a pretty good reference for those compiling the information. There's a lot to list...

All the best

Rob

Thanks Robert !

I have already used up the list off Mark Bishop's book !

Andrew S
9th January 2009, 13:31
Jugo Shizen Ryu created by Seijiro Sakihama.

powerof0ne
16th January 2009, 08:44
Hi Brian

I can't find anything on "Kakutou Kara-te(-do)" , Is this style now "defunct" ?

Didn't really find out any on that but I participate on another forum with a few Kudo/Daido Juku yudansha..3 of them run schools, 2 in England and one in France and from the way it was explained to me by Lee Hasdell(He fought Fedor before) is that there isn't a set syllabus for Daido Juku. Meaning, you could train in England and be trained much different than how you're trained at the honbu, etc. However, you're more or less expected to arrive at the same "destination" but there are more ways to skin a cat, basically..in that sense, I'd consider Daido Juku similar to JKD.
Also, some Daido Juku dojo do practice kata..like Tensho for instance but as noted above there isn't a set syllabus for all Daido Juku branches. So In a way I'm kind of contradicting myself but info on this slowly comes to me.
However, if you're looking for training in kata I wouldn't train in this style. If you're looking to get the crap knocked out of you in kumite, I would :)
There is also a private Daido Juku club in the US now..unfortunately, it's not open up to the public but I'd expect a full US branch within the next year. There has been a lot of interest in a Daido Juku branch being brought here in the last few years. Who wouldn't want to be able to head butt and strike to the groin in kumite?!!! ;)

Kaori Iida
20th January 2009, 00:14
Kenkojuku Karate Association - Founded by Tomosaburo Okano [ active ]
Shintaiikudo - Founded by Makoto Hirohara [ active ]
Kazumi Dojo - Founded by Hajime Kazumi [ active ]
Satojuku - Founded by Katsuaki Sato [ active ]
Gyakushin Karate - Founded by Terutomo Yamazaki [ active ]
Kansuiryu Karate - Founded by Yukio Mizutani & Antonio Inoki [ active ]
Seishinkaikan - Founded by Masashi Aoyagi [ active ]
Toshinkaikan - Founded by Yuji Shimizu [ unknown ]
Makikaikan - Founded by Hisao Maki [ unknown ]
Kyokushin-Kan - Founded by Hatsuo Royama [ active ]
Kyokushin Rengokai - Founded by Kazuyuki Hasegawa [ active ]
Shinkyokushin - Founded by Keiji Sanpei [ active ]

According to your criteria, Seidojuku - Tadashi Nakamura or Enshinkaikan do not count. I believe both arts were founded in and while both were in the United States and had separated from their respective Sensei/Organization/Art.

-Harley Martin

Prince Loeffler
20th January 2009, 02:53
Kenkojuku Karate Association - Founded by Tomosaburo Okano [ active ]

-Harley Martin

Thanks Harley !

Few questions:

Kenkojuku is an organization or style ?

Kaori Iida
24th January 2009, 14:56
Thanks Harley !

Few questions:

Kenkojuku is an organization or style ?

Kenkojuku would be the style and Kenkojuku Karate Association would be the organization that came to be after it was formed.

PictonMA
27th January 2009, 05:56
As far as the Ryuha:

Goju Ryu (Founded by Miyagi Chojun, active)

Now when it comes to the Kaiha, some of the larger ones that are either based in Okinawa / Japan or have their roots there:

Jundokan, Ei'ichi Miyazato - founder
Meibukan, Meitoku Yagi - founder
Goju Kai, Gogen Yamaguchi - founder
Shinbukan, Katsuyoshi Kanei - founder
Eibukan, Yoshihiro Hisanaga - founder(?)
Shobukan, Masa Shinjo - founder
Shoreikan, Seikichi Toguchi - founder
IOGKF - Morio Higaonna - founder
Seiwakai - Shuji Tasaki - founder
Jundokan International - Teruo Chinen - founder (based out of Spokane Washington, but from Okinawa)

Prince Loeffler
27th January 2009, 06:25
As far as the Ryuha:

Goju Ryu (Founded by Miyagi Chojun, active)

Now when it comes to the Kaiha, some of the larger ones that are either based in Okinawa / Japan or have their roots there:

Jundokan, Ei'ichi Miyazato - founder
Meibukan, Meitoku Yagi - founder
Goju Kai, Gogen Yamaguchi - founder
Shinbukan, Katsuyoshi Kanei - founder
Eibukan, Yoshihiro Hisanaga - founder(?)
Shobukan, Masa Shinjo - founder
Shoreikan, Seikichi Toguchi - founder
IOGKF - Morio Higaonna - founder
Seiwakai - Shuji Tasaki - founder
Jundokan International - Teruo Chinen - founder (based out of Spokane Washington, but from Okinawa)

Thanks Jason,

But the above are considered organizations as opposed to style, Am I right ?

PictonMA
5th February 2009, 19:05
Prince,

Yes those are organizations, most of which teach / train what most would consider to be 'traditional' goju-ryu.

Now when we talk about other organizations (in particular those outside of Okinawa / Japan) they would be better served renaming what they teach to something other than Goju-Ryu as often times it doesn't resemble what Miyagi Chojun Sensei or his senior students taught...

Shikiyanaka
26th March 2009, 12:36
I don't like "styles", but here are some using a certain terminology which was used somewhere sometimes, which doesn't mean that it means anything. Today, I think, you also call it by a Dojo or Juku name...

I've extracted all Karate and Kobudô lineages from the 1978 edition of the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten. They are not all correct, but nice for cross reference and checking with all the other major works available.

Here are some
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.8.gif
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.7.gif
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.6.gif
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.2.gif
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.1.gif
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.5.gif
http://www.ryukyu-bugei.com/01/matsu/matsu.4.gif

Toranaka
26th March 2009, 22:09
Shotokan Kenkojuku Karate-Do
Founder: Tomosaburo Okano