PDA

View Full Version : All Japan Budo Federation-Nippon Seibukan Dojo

A.J. Bryant
20th November 2008, 11:44
Greetings,

We are proud to announce the establishment of the US branch of the All Japan Budo Federation-Nippon Seibukan Dojo.

Important Disclaimer: The "All Japan Budo Federation-Nippon Seibukan Dojo" should not be confused with the "Dai Nippon Seibukan Budo/Bugei Kai" of which George Parulski is the International Director. It should also not be confused with any other organization using the name “Seibukan”, especially in the US or Europe.

The All Japan Budo Federation-Nippon Seibukan Dojo (AJBF-NSD) was founded by Suzuki Masafumi, Hanshi in 1969. Under Suzuki Sensei’s leadership the organization grew to include members in thirty-two different countries. At the time of its founding it was one of the world’s largest budo academies. After Suzuki Sensei passed away in 1991, leadership was passed to Kawano Yasuo, Hanshi, Suzuki sensei's successor and current Kancho of the federation.

Divisions in the AJBF-NSD include Karate, Jujutsu, Judo, Aikido, Kendo and Iaido. All legitimate practitioners of traditional Japanese and Okinawan martial arts are encouraged to join.

The US representative is Roy Jerry Hobbs, Hanshi. All questions regarding the AJBF-NSD, membership and activities within the US may be directed to him through the US branch website listed below.

In addition, interested parties are encouraged to direct questions related to the organization’s activities in Japan directly to the Hombu dojo liaison officer, who's address is also located on the US branch’s website (Japanese language inquires preferred).

The first US Taikai has been announced for the spring of 2009 and the first international Taikai is to be held 2010 at the Seibukan Hombu in Kyoto, Japan. Details will be forthcoming (see the “Seminar & Tournament Announcements” forum).

For more information, please visit us at: www.alljapanbudofederation.com (www.alljapanbudofederation.com)

dengle
22nd November 2008, 21:10
http://www.alljapanbudofederation.com/

This very well may not belong in this section. It would be nice if there were a secetion dedicated to this type of question:

This seems like a pretty new organization. I would just like to know who these people are and where they came from in the Budo world;

Thanks

dengle
22nd November 2008, 21:43
When I first read this web site I was just curious and not really thinking that there may be something funny going on. I just wanted to know about the organization. The main web site seems to be on the up-and-up.
BUT
There is a European version of the web site that indicates that the organization has ties to the "great grand master" Bob Trias, who claimed to have received his 10th Dan from Yasuhiro Konishi. I understand that Konishi Sensei always denied this and Trias students later claimed it came from Funakoshi and even others. Each time the story was debunked, the 10th Dan was suddenly awarded by someone else.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.zndkbk.com/dainippon.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DKobayashi%2BTetsuo,%2BRenshi%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DRN0

Assuming that this AJBF is a legit organization, why do they so prominently feature one of the bigegst frauds in American budo history?

dengle
23rd November 2008, 01:04
I was asking about this organization in the baffling budo section

Please see my post there.

According to the organizations European web site, they have close ties to Robert Trias, one of the most successful frauds in U.S. budo history.
What are his ties to this organization?

gokenkan
23rd November 2008, 06:20
check out the dis-claimers http://www.alljapanbudofederation.com/faq.html

Also Suzuki Masafumi was a student of Miyazato Eiichi and Izumikawa Kanki

Mike

Prince Loeffler
23rd November 2008, 18:34
I understand that Konishi Sensei always denied this and Trias students later claimed it came from Funakoshi and even others. Each time the story was debunked, the 10th Dan was suddenly awarded by someone else.

I am curious about this statement regarding Trias's ranking. Can you tell me more ?.

A.J. Bryant
23rd November 2008, 20:10
Mr. Engle,

Thank you for your question. In regards to the late Mr. Trias, we would like to issue the following statement:

"Suzuki Masafumi Hanshi had an association with Robert Trias at one time. It's not possible to fully determine the depth of that association today, but it is a part of the Seibukan Academy's history. However, the All Japan Budo Federation-Nippon Seibukan Dojo of today, under the leadership of Kawano Yasuo Hanshi, has no relationship with the organization founded by Mr. Trias."

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

dengle
24th November 2008, 17:53
On the surface it looked like this was a fine organization.
Then the Trias connection came up, bringing some real concern.

This clarification restores my original positive opinion.

Perhaps the Euro branch should not offer so much praise for Trias and perhaps even remove him from the site.

dengle
24th November 2008, 17:59
I am curious about this statement regarding Trias's ranking. Can you tell me more ?.

Konishi Sensei had stated that he was in a restaurant and was recognized by Trias who came over to him. There was some conversation and a photo op.
Trias came home claiming that the photo was taken when Konish awarded him the 10th Dan and placed him in charge of Karate in the USA.

I'm sure that Konishi went unaware of such claim for a very long time. He always denied giving any rank to trias, as does his son. There used to be a "reccomended books" page on the Ryobukai web site. That page also had a link to a pages marked "books to avoid". That page had one line: "Any books by Robert Trias". It was taken down some time ago. I doubt they would have had that page if trias had gotten a 10th Dan from Konishi Sensei.

Some years after the Konishi connection was debunked, I was told by one of trias' students that it was in fact Funakoshi who geve trias the 10th Dan. And some have even claimed it was Hohan Soken.

Andrew S
24th November 2008, 20:00
This site (http://www.afsk-fm.org/) claims that Trias' 10th dan was awarded by Makoto Gima.(Although I'm certain it should be Shinkin Gima). I recall seeing sites claiming that his certificate was signed by Gima, Yamaguchi and Konishi.

dengle
24th November 2008, 20:28
How the names of the promoting teachers keep changing.

It seems pretty odd that no one knows who signed this 10th Dan certificate.
It was Konishi, then Funakoshi, now someone named Gima, although we don't know which one, or was it Yamaguchi? Or was it Konishi, Yamaguchi and some or all of the Gima? I've also been told by Shuri Ryu stylists that trias was student of Choki Motobu. Maybe it was just all of the "grand masters" coming together to declare trias to be the greatest and grandest of all the great grand masters and there just wasn't enough room on the certificate for all the signatures.

Either way, it is nice to see this distancing from the fraud. Others should do the same.

Thank you.

dengle
24th November 2008, 20:40
This post is just for those who do not go to the other thread to read the comments.

I am convinced that this organization has no material connection to Robert Trias and should not be tainted by the fraud committed by him.

I'm sure it's a fine organization.

Prince Loeffler
24th November 2008, 21:57
How the names of the promoting teachers keep changing.

It seems pretty odd that no one knows who signed this 10th Dan certificate.
It was Konishi, then Funakoshi, now someone named Gima, although we don't know which one, or was it Yamaguchi? Or was it Konishi, Yamaguchi and some or all of the Gima? I've also been told by Shuri Ryu stylists that trias was student of Choki Motobu. Maybe it was just all of the "grand masters" coming together to declare trias to be the greatest and grandest of all the great grand masters and there just wasn't enough room on the certificate for all the signatures.

Either way, it is nice to see this distancing from the fraud. Others should do the same.

Thank you.

Hello Mr. Engle

I am getting confused here. Perhaps I am way too late or not enough coffee , but this Trias Controversy does pique my interest.

I keep getting the According to "they" or "them" stories about Trias's certification ligitimacy.

Can you perhaps open a thread in regards to this "Controversy" regarding Robert Trias as the All Japan Budo Federation has no connection with him (Trias).

If possible , can you start from the beginning as this thread is starting to get more and more convoluted with bits and pieces.

Thanks !

A.J. Bryant
24th November 2008, 23:45
To the moderators,

If there are no objections, I respectfully request that this thread be removed, or at least combined with the thread in the Gendai Budo forum.

Sincerely,

P Goldsbury
25th November 2008, 01:31
At Mr Bryant's request, I have merged the two threads and left the combined thread in this Gendai Budo forum.

However, since the question of Mr Trias appeared to be of some importance, I have left these posts in the thread.

If the matter of Mr Trias is an issue, someone should begin a new thread in the Baffling Budo forum and I will consider putting these posts in the new thread.

Best wishes to all,

dengle
25th November 2008, 02:33
As far as I am concerned.
I am, as I said, glad to see that the All Japan Budo Federation is NOT in any way connected Trias.

I have posed a question to one of the Ryobukai representatives to clarify some of my thoughts. Then I will just start a new thread on Trias.

Prince Loeffler
25th November 2008, 03:38
As far as I am concerned.
I am, as I said, glad to see that the All Japan Budo Federation is NOT in any way connected Trias.

I have posed a question to one of the Ryobukai representatives to clarify some of my thoughts. Then I will just start a new thread on Trias.

Looking forward to it.