PDA

View Full Version : The Basics

tgace
22nd November 2008, 20:10
In my opinion there are some basic skills that are fairly universal for all firearms:

Weapon manipulation: Learn how to open the action on the basic firearm types. Learn how to remove the ammunition source and check for a clear and safe condition. Slide stops, magazine releases, safety levers, charging handles etc. all have basic similarities. You can figure out how to operate almost any small arm with some basic knowledge.

Sight alignment: Learn the proper sight picture and sight alignment with the basic sight types. These days that comes down to basically two. Post and notch and aperture sights of various types. While the type may vary the concept is the same. Line up the front and rear sights and put them on the target.

Trigger control: While the method of trigger control may vary, the idea is universal. You have to pull the trigger in a manner that keeps the sights on the target when the weapon fires.

Even someone who doesn't like weapons yet likes to consider themselves "prepared" can gain a conceptual understanding of firearms by studying these basic skills.

TonyU
23rd November 2008, 15:33
In my opinion there are some basic skills that are fairly universal for all firearms:

Weapon manipulation: Learn how to open the action on the basic firearm types. Learn how to remove the ammunition source and check for a clear and safe condition. Slide stops, magazine releases, safety levers, charging handles etc. all have basic similarities. You can figure out how to operate almost any small arm with some basic knowledge.

Sight alignment: Learn the proper sight picture and sight alignment with the basic sight types. These days that comes down to basically two. Post and notch and aperture sights of various types. While the type may vary the concept is the same. Line up the front and rear sights and put them on the target.

Trigger control: While the method of trigger control may vary, the idea is universal. You have to pull the trigger in a manner that keeps the sights on the target when the weapon fires.

Even someone who doesn't like weapons yet likes to consider themselves "prepared" can gain a conceptual understanding of firearms by studying these basic skills.

Yeah, but like Martial Arts or anything else for that matter get lessons from a competent instructor. You can't learn from a video, book, or the internet.

Hissho
23rd November 2008, 15:36
I think one of the reasons firearms disarm training is sometimes so lacking is that many martial arts/self defense instructors typically have little experience with firearms, and even less in any kind of legitimate force on force practice.

Duanew
23rd November 2008, 20:08
My new favorite quote, "Shooting a pistol is easy, just not simple."

tgace
23rd November 2008, 21:36
Firing any weapon is easy and simple...

Hitting what you want to/need to hit. That is another story.

tgace
23rd November 2008, 21:54
Yeah, but like Martial Arts or anything else for that matter get lessons from a competent instructor. You can't learn from a video, book, or the internet.

True..although I guess you can say "that depends". My first "instructors" in firearms were my dad and my uncle who taught me how to shoot rifle and SG for hunting purposes. While the military, LE and various SWAT schools have taught me the "art and science" of weaponcraft, I would think that far more of us "rednecks" recieved our initial training in the same manner. Anybody with some knowhow can teach the basic mechanics and techniques of how to operate a weapon. It aint rocket science. Combative application, tactics and legal issues however...absolutely get training from someone who knows what they are doing.

One thing those "advanced schools" show you (im sure you will agree) is that they "aint rocket science" either. I remember going to basic training thinking military training was going to be all this "high speed"..movielike training. I was mistaken.

TonyU
23rd November 2008, 23:30
True..although I guess you can say "that depends". My first "instructors" in firearms were my dad and my uncle who taught me how to shoot rifle and SG for hunting purposes.

Ah, but of course. I bet they were competent in their own right. I'm now in the process of teaching basic firearms to my children. First thing first, is safety, then we're working from there. My wife and eldest have already fired a weapon. My youngest is next.
Nice posts. Keep 'em coming.

Juan Perez
24th November 2008, 00:55
True..although I guess you can say "that depends". My first "instructors" in firearms were my dad and my uncle who taught me how to shoot rifle and SG for hunting purposes. While the military, LE and various SWAT schools have taught me the "art and science" of weaponcraft, I would think that far more of us "rednecks" recieved our initial training in the same manner. Anybody with some knowhow can teach the basic mechanics and techniques of how to operate a weapon. It aint rocket science. Combative application, tactics and legal issues however...absolutely get training from someone who knows what they are doing.

One thing those "advanced schools" show you (im sure you will agree) is that they "aint rocket science" either. I remember going to basic training thinking military training was going to be all this "high speed"..movielike training. I was mistaken.

When I made my transition from conventional Army to Special Forces, one thing I learned was best summarized by my first team sergeant: "The regular Army teaches you to qualify with a weapon. We teach you to shoot with it."

Hissho
24th November 2008, 02:47
Juan, if that doesn't define police firearms training from patrol officer to tactical officer, I don't know what does. I plan to steal it.

BTW, welcome home, and thanks again.

tgace
24th November 2008, 03:58
When I made my transition from conventional Army to Special Forces, one thing I learned was best summarized by my first team sergeant: "The regular Army teaches you to qualify with a weapon. We teach you to shoot with it."

Absolutely.

Duanew
24th November 2008, 10:19
Firing any weapon is easy and simple...

Hitting what you want to/need to hit. That is another story.

The point exactly.

Juan Perez
24th November 2008, 16:37
Juan, if that doesn't define police firearms training from patrol officer to tactical officer, I don't know what does. I plan to steal it.

BTW, welcome home, and thanks again.

Thanks a lot. It's good to be home. Like I told my commander: It's nice to actually live in the house you pay a mortgage for. :)