PDA

View Full Version : Hakutsuru and the Karate Kid

Timothy.G.B.
27th November 2008, 19:04
This may have to be moved to the member's lounge but I thought I would start it here.

I have been interested in Hakutsuru (aka White Crane Technique) since first seeing the Karate Kid in 1984.

Since I have been training a bit longer now, I realize that Mr. Miyagi was doing Goju but he taught the now famous, "if do right, no can defend" crane technique to Daniel san, with the whole balance on the pole, balance on the boat training, which seems like it was borrowed from Estrada Sensei's interview with Soken Sensei and Soken's recounting of training the kata on a log in the water (I wonder what that kata looked like in the dojo:)).

Since 1984, there has been a proliferation of White Crane stylists who are all claiming that they do Hakutsuru and I can't help but wonder about the role that Daniel san plays in capturing the collective imagination of North Americans with White Crane!

Having been to Okinawa only briefly twice now, I did not really get a sense that anyone in Naha really talks about or cares about Hakutsuru. Admittedly, I spent the majority of my time in the dojo so I didn't get around much.

Anyway, my theory, which I am posting mostly for fun but somewhat seriously, is that if Daniel san hadn't defeated the Kobra Kai with his White Crane Kick, we might not have as much interest in the whole Hakutsuru thing in 2008.

Naturally, the theory can never really be proved, but I am interested in people's thoughts.

Best,
Tim

Prince Loeffler
27th November 2008, 19:54
Hi Tim !

As I understood it, Daryll Vidal who wore a body suit to play Mister Miyagi in the iconic scene on the beach, admitted that they came up with that "crane" along with Pat Johnson. This is his qoute:

"...the crane technique, as depicted in the movie, isn't a real move in any karate or kung-fu. Pat Johnson told me what he wanted, and I basically said, "you mean something like this?" It is widely recognized, and I still hesistate when I tell my karate students that I made it up. But as you might have guessed, there is very little practical application to the technique."

Timothy.G.B.
27th November 2008, 20:21
Hi Tim !

As I understood it, Daryll Vidal who wore a body suit to play Mister Miyagi in the iconic scene on the beach, admitted that they came up with that "crane" along with Pat Johnson. This is his qoute:

Hi Prince:

I am not surprised that the move was made up. It makes absolutely no sense from a martial arts perspective. Still, it certainly made an impression on me as a kid. I must have tried it a hundred times on my friends...not to mention some unfortunate snowmen in my neighborhood :)

Tim

Todd Lambert
28th November 2008, 02:13
http://www.dojosanchin.cl/img/biografias/sensei2.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/karate_kid.jpg

I've wondered before if the historical photo of training at Higa Seiko's dojo had any influence on the infamous crane kick Daniel used to defeat Johnny. I think I've read somewhere that Higa learned some white crane from Gokenki. Who knows? It is fun to speculate. :cool:

Timothy.G.B.
28th November 2008, 17:18
Todd:

Great photo comparison:)

I wonder if anyone has any info on dates that Hakutsuru styles started taking off in North America. When the first seminars were being offered, the first books that mention it.

It might lend some weight to the theory if we can document the proliferation of crane-karate after 1984 and Daniel san's big win, getting the girl and winning the admiration an entire generation of young karate students.

Best,
Tim

shoshinkan
28th November 2008, 17:53
http://www.karate.org.yu/images/soken2.jpg

Hohan Soken Sensei of Seito Matsumura, in his time one of the most respected authorities on Okinawa.

I remember the first karate kid film, it got me excited but I really dont recall references to white crane, and I thought the 'signiture' move was well, silly...........great entertainment film for sure.

Im trying to convince my students that painting my walls, washing my car and generally looking after me is a good thing for them - but they dont buy it.....Miyagi in the film was a cool cucumber!