PDA

View Full Version : Use of equipment at training.

Rob Gassin
28th November 2008, 00:08
Do we, Shorinji kempo kenshi and instructors, make enough use of equipment such as kicking pads and focus mits?

I consider that such practice is under used in our style, especially in kihon Practice.

It is a very effective method of developing speed, power, endurance and proper technique without the risk of hurting the training partner or oneself. It obviously has its limitation but so does every other form of training.

Anders Pettersson
28th November 2008, 08:43
Do we, Shorinji kempo kenshi and instructors, make enough use of equipment such as kicking pads and focus mits?

I consider that such practice is under used in our style, especially in kihon Practice.

It is a very effective method of developing speed, power, endurance and proper technique without the risk of hurting the training partner or oneself. It obviously has its limitation but so does every other form of training.

In my dojo we quite often use mits for warming up, during kihon we use DO and/or mits probably more often than we don't use them during kihon.

Goho hokei practice is also very often done with using Do.

I think the biggest reason to why some dojo don't use Do or mits during practice is that they don't have any place to store their equipment, or don't afford to buy Do and/or mits.

/Anders

johan_frendin
30th November 2008, 07:26
Gassho!

The focus mitts are something I find very useful and should be used regularly to increase timing, speed and understanding of proper technique and body mechanics. The training also becomes much more physical demanding than just hitting air.

Focus mitts are small so you can put 10 of them in your training bag. They are not especially expensive so I think they should be one the basic gears of a branch.

If you also have DO at your dojo you have all the equipment you need to make a fun, effective and demanding KIHON that will make your student very competent in punching and kicking.

Johan Frendin