PDA

View Full Version : question on making a saya

Howard Quick
29th January 2001, 11:32
Hi All,
I was hoping someone out there could give me a link to a site showing how to make a saya. I have the book'craft of the Japanese sword'.
I just want as much reference as possible.
Also is the timber called "jellitong"(sp?) suitable?
Thanks for any help
Keigu
Howard Quick

pgsmith
29th January 2001, 18:49
Hi Howard,
This is the best explanation I have seen on the web. The instructions are for a shirasaya, but they are identical for a saya. http://homepage.eircom.net/~daithioc/saya.htm
I have no idea what 'jellitong' is. Must be one of those aussie things! :) As long as the wood is a low resin type and very well seasoned (can't have your saya warping!) it should work out OK.
Good luck!

Howard Quick
29th January 2001, 19:23
Thanks Paul,
Jellitong, Jellatong, however it's spelt is a very low resinous asian jungle timber(from what I've been told).
To look at, if you don't look close enough you would think it was mdf, custom wood etc...(very hard to see the grain)
A friend of mine happened to come accross a dozen 12'*10" planks(he actually made me a sword stand out of the stuff)
Best wishes

Ron Tisdale
30th January 2001, 20:35
There is an article in the last issue of Journal of Asian Martial Arts (JAMA) about making a saya. It seemed to be very detailed and specific (to me, I'm no woodworker). I'm thinking of lending it to a friend who is a woodworker...(nudge nudge, wink wink) and then we'll see what happens...
:)
Ron Tisdale