PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Sword Name?

Nataraj
30th January 2001, 01:36
Greetings! I'm new here (be gentle with me). This seemed like the place to get a question answered, and as is so often true, reading for a while I now have a dozen questions. :)

My question for this post concerns a sword for sale that is different than the standard Chinese swords one sees. It is not a dadao, pudao, gim, or darn do. It is described (where I saw it for sale) thusly: "Tai Chi sword - single edge curved - sharp on curved side - 32'' in blade length - 40'' total length - weight 3 lbs. Non-bendable forge steel blade. Special designed scabbard included. Length and weight may vary. Special wooden handle design. From Lungchuan County in China." The blade closely resembles that of a katana. There is a photo of it at:
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-60cs.html

Does anyone know the proper name for this sword type?

When one refers to a "Tai Chi Sword", typically one means the gim - the straight, double edged sword. And the "Tai Chi Broadsword" is usually the darn do.

Thanks in advance. Cool list!

Nataraj

supa
31st January 2001, 02:09
mmm sorry- not sure ne- but if you're interested in Chinese sword, here is a sword site in Taichung,Taiwan- the master is one of the few people who still knows how to make "real" Chinese sword (many swords today are for decorative/practice purposes) using the traditional style.

http://sword.tacomall.com.tw/014.htm

It is a Chinese site so if you can't read it and if you want to view some pictures of the swords he made (which includes bagua Taji sword), go to the third link from the bottom up on the left hand side, and a lists of sword names will appear. The "Tai Ji sword" is near the top.

Nataraj
2nd February 2001, 00:09
Nope. I'm only looking for the name of the single edged sword described in my original post, including a link to the site that has it for sale.

Thanks just the same.

leo822
2nd February 2001, 03:22
well, there are many different types of single edge chinese sword. the one you posted looks like the type that Qing imperial soldiers would carry, Liuyedao or Willow Leaf Saber, except the sword guard is not the traditional type......

-leohsieh

Meik Skoss
4th February 2001, 01:08
How about Phredde? Or Double Tofu Cutter, Sword of the Head Iga-Biva (or WIB). Or, perhaps, Chauncey? And why let names limit you? You could also assign ot a glyph, such as "The Sword Formerly Known As 'Phredde'" or...?

To answer the original question, doesn't "dao" seem to fit the bill?

leo822
4th February 2001, 01:58
or how about sushi chopper? it really depends how the seller wants to market it. "dao" is just too generic. butter knife is also a "dao". i think the original poster wants something more specific.

-leo

Nataraj
4th February 2001, 20:24
LOL! "Be careful what you ask for...you might get it!"

Thanks for the humor, guys. Since I have purchased this sword (it's very pretty, but I wouldn't stake my life on the blade), I guess I can take the name-ball and run with it. Phredde (or the glyph thereof) doesn't seem right...lacks punch. Since I have a dadao, maybe this could be madao ("big mama sword"). A big dadao is a pudao, lending a certain lean towards pigletdao or tiggerdao. Of course since it's mine, I could call it mydao. I should probably stay away from mynewdao as it sounds waaaay too much like Ricky Martin's former boy-band!

Since the dang thing doesn't go very well with my kilts, I guess I won't strap it on anytime soon anyway. However, I *did* notice that there are several swords in "Braveheart" that are a very close cousin to the dadao. Must have been a few Scots on the Silk Road. Or the Scots pillaged the Normans after the Normans got home from the long walk! That seems more likely. <smirk>

Kit LeBlanc
5th February 2001, 23:55
I would go with Leo here.

I thought the pu dao had a long handle, closer to the long handled nagamaki-type weapon (not the big naginata nagamaki).

Kit LeBlanc