PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto Usagi

matthew kelly
30th January 2001, 02:26
i'm not sure if this is an example of the mcdojo trick you guys are talking about or not, or if it's just a good example of what happens when someone as surrounded by mythology and legend as miyamoto musashi emerges from the history of a nation with a culture as rich in tradition as japan...

the legend of miyamoto usagi has persisted throughout the centuries, perhaps as a coincidence, perhaps as neccesity. for every hero there is a counterpart, right? maybe miyamoto usagi was the "superhero" side that people created for miyamoto musashi. maybe he was the same dude, just using a different name (but documents suggest otherwise)...

in order to find more information about him, i reccommend doing a websearch on "ben no suke" or "miyamoto usagi" through google.com

let's see what we can come up with. =-)

matthew kelly.

Daigoro
30th January 2001, 16:35
Hi Mathew,

A bit confused about your post.... you do know that "Miyamoto Usagi" is a Cartoon character drawn and created by Stan Sakai? And a rather fun one at that!

If in-doubt check out http://www.usagiyojimbo.com.

I did the search on Google using "miyamoto usagi" and an old site that I had authored/designed for the website is the first item listed :)

Of-course, you could just have a sense of irony ...... ;)

- George McCall

Location - Edinburgh, Scotland.
Budo - Kendo/Iaido/Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Hyoho.

matthew kelly
30th January 2001, 17:32
dude, that is so far beyond anything i've ever heard of. i never knew there was a cartoon series about someone by that name. the things i've heard are little disgruntled mumblings by people who are doubtful about miyamoto musashi, or think that someone was trying to "take the glory of his name", to quote one canadian budoka i questioned last night.

that cartoon is a great example of what i said above about how myth gets mixed in with truth, truth turns to legend and fantasy... and it becomes hard to tell what actually happened and what didn't.

i'm going to make a list of resources for you to check out, because apparently you didn't find any of the sites i found that talked about this person. i'm dead serious. the exploits of this "miyamoto usagi" at some points in time coincide both by location and date with the exploits of miyamoto musashi, but the historical records also confuse because some of the things they both did (assuming he existed) happened in places it would've been impossible for musashi to have been at, at that point in time, because he was recorded as being somewhere else far away.

anyway, i'll dig up some links.

matthew kelly

matthew kelly
30th January 2001, 17:42
dude, that is so far beyond anything i've ever heard of. i never knew there was a cartoon series about someone by that name. the things i've heard are little disgruntled mumblings by people who are doubtful about miyamoto musashi, or think that someone was trying to "take the glory of his name", to quote one canadian budoka i questioned last night.

that cartoon is a great example of what i said above about how myth gets mixed in with truth, truth turns to legend and fantasy... and it becomes hard to tell what actually happened and what didn't.

i'm going to make a list of resources for you to check out, because apparently you didn't find any of the sites i found that talked about this person. i'm dead serious. the exploits of this "miyamoto usagi" at some points in time coincide both by location and date with the exploits of miyamoto musashi, but the historical records also confuse because some of the things they both did (assuming he existed) happened in places it would've been impossible for musashi to have been at, at that point in time, because he was recorded as being somewhere else far away.

anyway, i'll dig up some links.

matthew kelly