PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

paul browne
11th January 2009, 10:20
Gassho,

Not a very profound question here, just something I puzzled over in the Holiday.

The term Zanshin is literally translated as 'remaining mind' in most sources and is described as being the state of awareness maintained at the conclusion of physical action.
It is also, in common usage, used widely to describe a general state of awareness maintained in daily life to avoid surprise attacks (or surprise parties, surprise open manhole covers, surprise falling piano's, that kind of think :)) but is this the correct term?
In a copy of 'Fighting Spirit of Japan' by E.J. Harrison I came across the term Genshin (sorry Anders, no kanji :)) to describe this pre-conflict awareness, is this the correct term? or is there an alternative?
Ki-no-sen seems a possible contender although the awareness would seem to a component of ki-no-sen rather than it's focus.

Anyway, as you can see I am bored at work so if someone could humour me and satisfy my curiosity I would be grateful.

A belated Happy, healthy, harmonious and productive New Year to one and all.

Regards
Paul
Kesshu

Steve Williams
11th January 2009, 16:18
Gassho,

Not a very profound question here, just something I puzzled over in the Holiday.

I puzzled over whether to have another beer, whether to eat more sweets, whether to get up and do some exercise.... those sort of earth shattering things :look:;)

paul browne
11th January 2009, 22:38
I puzzled over whether to have another beer, whether to eat more sweets, whether to get up and do some exercise.... those sort of earth shattering things :look:;)

I do THOSE things the other 51 weeks, but I was on holiday:D

Tripitaka of AA
12th January 2009, 12:31
I bought a box of twelve Mince Pies, only to discover that no-one else in my family likes them... it's been a tough Christmas.:D

When someone gets around to answering Paul's question, could they please also include heijoshin, and how that is/is not related.

Ewok
12th January 2009, 18:13
The term Zanshin is literally translated as 'remaining mind' in most sources and is described as being the state of awareness maintained at the conclusion of physical action.
It is also, in common usage, used widely to describe a general state of awareness maintained in daily life to avoid surprise attacks (or surprise parties, surprise open manhole covers, surprise falling piano's, that kind of think :)) but is this the correct term?
In a copy of 'Fighting Spirit of Japan' by E.J. Harrison I came across the term Genshin (sorry Anders, no kanji :)) to describe this pre-conflict awareness, is this the correct term? or is there an alternative?

Genshin certainly makes sense - gen means the current, the present, and genshin could be taken to mean the current state of mind.

I learnt the word zanshin when doing kendo - basically you don't stop just because you managed to hit the other guy, you need to keep your wits about you and follow through and continue. Its also about not focusing too much on just one thing, so in a way its situational awareness as well.

paul browne
12th January 2009, 19:22
Gassho,

Cheers for that reply Leon, has he term ever come up formally in a lesson. How do your sensei describe you 'attitude' before combat is initiated?

Interesting point about Heijoshin Dave, i don't think the term relates directly to 'awareness' although it's definately a component of it.
My interpretation of Heijoshin has changed over the years. Originally I took it to mean remaining calm, in a sort of David Carradine hippy shaolin monk sort of way. Now i interpret it as behaving appropriately, have natural emotions but don't allow them to run away with you. So you can be angry but don't give way to blind rage, have a sense of urgency but don't give way to panic, not let sadness turn into dispair, love into infatuation etc. No idea if this is right but it works for me:).
Oh bugger, it nearly turned profound:).

Still interested in the authorative responce.....Anders!!!, are you out their?

Regards
Paul

Kesshu

colin linz
12th January 2009, 20:25
I bought a box of twelve Mince Pies, only to discover that no-one else in my family likes them... it's been a tough Christmas.:D

When someone gets around to answering Paul's question, could they please also include heijoshin, and how that is/is not related.
I think heijoshin is more how you react after the initial surprise. Keeping a calm or normal mental state and not panicking.

Steve Williams
12th January 2009, 22:20
Still interested in the authorative responce.....Anders!!!, are you out their?

So whats wrong with my authorative response???

OK, Anders' response may be better...... :cry: So much for loving your embu partner......:p;)