PDA

View Full Version : Helio Gracie (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu)

Brently Keen
30th January 2009, 06:56
Helio Gracie (1913-2009)

My condolences to the Gracie family and their many students. May he rest in peace.

http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/AR...009-01-29.html

George Kohler
30th January 2009, 13:59
May he rest in peace.

Hissho
30th January 2009, 20:55
A quote:

The Jiu-Jitsu that I created was designed to give the weak ones a chance to face the heavy and strong. It was so successful that they decided to create a sportive version of it. I would like to make it clear that of course I am in favor of the sportive practice and technical refinement of all athletes, whatever their specialty may be, as well as good nutrition, sexual control, avoidance of addictions and unhealthy habits. The problem lies in the creation of a sport-oriented Jiu-Jitsu, based on rules and time limits, which benefits the heavier, stronger, and more athletic individuals. The primary objective of Jiu-Jitsu is to empower the weak who, for not having the physical attributes, are often intimidated. My Jiu-Jitsu is an art of self-defense in which rules and time limits are unacceptable. These are the reasons for which I can’t support events that reflect an anti Jiu-Jitsu.”

-Grand Master Helio Gracie (October 1, 1913 – January 29, 2009)

X_plosion
1st February 2009, 01:17
May He Rest In Peace

Tengu
1st February 2009, 17:52
It was a shame I never met him
Wikipedia has an Article about him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9lio_Gracie
It is good to see it
It have also his supposed last words
the Portuguese article in not very long... Yet
I believe that his depart will change this
He was a hero here in Brazil, and now will be a Legend

Rest In Peace

john_lord_b3
2nd February 2009, 08:02
Grand Master Helio Gracie represents one of the few remaining links between the old-style PreWar Jiu-Jitsu/Old Judo and the modern grappling systems. He is indeed a preserver of old techniques, and yet also a pioneer of a new way of looking at and utilizing those aforementioned old techniques. He will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace Grand Master Gracie, your fame and good deeds has put your name forever inscribed amongst the names of the greatest of masters, not just due to your sporting accomplishments, but also due to your great personality.

Shikiyanaka
3rd February 2009, 21:45
heart of a lion, flower of fight... Rest in peace.