PDA

View Full Version : mystery book

bu-kusa
17th February 2009, 18:56
Hi there, has anyone else seen this yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Shinden-Fudo-Ryu-Jitsu/dp/1897307659/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234248965&sr=8-1

Secrets of Shinden Fudo Ryu Ju Jitsu (Paperback)
by Izumo Yoshiteru (Author)

''Originally written in pictures only we have added the english translations to the book andspread them out as much as possible. This is one of the oldest books ever created on Jap[anese Ju Jitsu. ''

No other real information about it anywhere that I can see? Can anyone help?

poryu
17th February 2009, 20:43
HI

I also found this at another supplier.

Yes it seem s authentic

it features Kobayashi sensei, a student of Takamatsu

George Kohler
18th February 2009, 17:01
it features Kobayashi sensei, a student of Takamatsu

Are you referring to Kobayashi Masao Sensei, student of Ueno Sensei?

poryu
18th February 2009, 18:23
Hi george

nto sure yet as I dont have a copy my mate does and mine is in the mail.

I now have some reservations regarding this book.

I am told the book contains chigiriki and the cover features 2 members of araki ryu. Chikigiki is an Araki ryu weapon.

so havent you had your copy delivered I hear from our little night owl (shinobi) friend that you have also bought a copy.

roland horne
19th February 2009, 07:03
Hi, with ref to the sales blurb 'originally pictures only/one of the oldest books....' are they implying that it's a copy of a SFR densho or simply being inacurately good salesmen?!

Rolande Horne

poryu
19th February 2009, 07:17
HI

I am waiting for my copy to arrive

once it is here I will put up a description of it.

I now someone with a copy and we have discussed things a little. but to be able to confirm the contents I need a copy myself.

I hope one of the other researchers also has a copy soon for there input

roland horne
19th February 2009, 07:18
Ok, so I wasn't that quick off the mark with my first question. I've now read the blurb on the Rising Sun Promotions website, -photographed at an old ninja school in the 50's. Original now housed in a temple in Kyoto. Sorted!

Best Wishes to All,
Rolande Horne

roland horne
19th February 2009, 07:28
I haven't quite got the hang of this forum stuff yet -hence too many posts to say one thing. But if you go to the Rising Sun site you can blow up the front cover photo which gives come useful info as to what this book contains.

Roland Horne

poryu
19th February 2009, 07:50
HI

I have been in contact with the publisher to to say he really hasnt a proper clue what the book contains is about it.

The cover doesnt even has members of Shindenfudo Ryu on it, in fact those two guys were not even members of Takamatsu sensei dojo, they are Araki Ryu members and nothing to do with Shindenfudo Ryu. Elllis Amdur emailed me the other day as he recognised then men

roland horne
19th February 2009, 07:56
Hi, not the first time that a pretty picture has made it's way onto the cover of a totally unrelated book though....

Rolande Horne

poryu
19th February 2009, 07:59
Hi

thats true also happened to Charles Daniel who was a Bujinkan member. The publisher put Genbukan people on the front cover of one of his books.

George Kohler
19th February 2009, 12:37
As far as I know, Charles and Chadwick Minge were friends.

Shinobi
19th February 2009, 18:15
As far as I know, Charles and Chadwick Minge were friends.
Thats what I have heard too.

Gary Arthur
21st February 2009, 11:04
Poryu posted

I am told the book contains chigiriki and the cover features 2 members of araki ryu. Chikigiki is an Araki ryu weapon.

Paul did you mean Chigiriki or am I being ignorant of weapons?

I know nothing of Araki Ryu, however i do have some material of Dr Hatsumi with Doron Navon doing Chigiriki techniques.

I dont know where they came from, an old magazine probably, as I was given them 15 or more years ago, but they have techniques listed such as Maki tori, Maki Uke, Fukume Uchi.

Be interested to know where this Chigiriki techniques come from, or where my source for this article comes from.

Gary Arthur

George Kohler
21st February 2009, 16:49
HI

I have been in contact with the publisher to to say he really hasnt a proper clue what the book contains is about it.

The cover doesnt even has members of Shindenfudo Ryu on it, in fact those two guys were not even members of Takamatsu sensei dojo, they are Araki Ryu members and nothing to do with Shindenfudo Ryu. Elllis Amdur emailed me the other day as he recognised then men

I have been told that this book has a SFR that is not related to the SFR taijutsu/jutaijutsu or the SFR dakentaijutsu school. The kata does not match either of these schools. Apparently, the kata names are more in line with the SFR Kenpo school in the jujutsu section. This school has both jujutsu and kenpo in its curriculum.

Also, the pictures in the book were taken by Hal Sharp (Harold Sharp) and mentioned in this book is a Kobayashi. Not the Kobayashi Masao from the Ueno Takashi line, but the Judoka by the name of Kobayashi Kiyoshi. I believe both Mr. Sharp and Kobayashi wrote a Judo book together.

With the facts out now, the history in this book is also wrong, which lists Izumo Kaja Yoshiteru as the founder. Looks like they used generic information from the web to put in their book.

bu-kusa
22nd February 2009, 11:29
I have been told that this book has a SFR that is not related to the SFR taijutsu/jutaijutsu or the SFR dakentaijutsu school. The kata does not match either of these schools. Apparently, the kata names are more in line with the SFR Kenpo school in the jujutsu section. This school has both jujutsu and kenpo in its curriculum.

Also, the pictures in the book were taken by Hal Sharp (Harold Sharp) and mentioned in this book is a Kobayashi. Not the Kobayashi Masao from the Ueno Takashi line, but the Judoka by the name of Kobayashi Kiyoshi. I believe both Mr. Sharp and Kobayashi wrote a Judo book together.

With the facts out now, the history in this book is also wrong, which lists Izumo Kaja Yoshiteru as the founder. Looks like they used generic information from the web to put in their book.

Many thanks for the information Kohler Sensei.

poryu
24th February 2009, 15:58
HI

Ok I have my copy now

The bad news is

It has nothing to do with Shindenfudo Ryu Jutaijutsu or dakentaiujutsu

The book does try to make several claims that it does but all that it has is some history stolen of web pages

The photos of the masters are in fact aAraki ryu members, the book even says that they were taken in a dojo in Guma (chould actually say Gunma).

The all important densho in the book is not even Shindenfudo Ryu. It is infact a tenjin Shinyo Ryu densho

Its a waste of cash. I am writing a review to put in Hanako newsletter and I will be sending my copy back for a full refund.

poryu
24th February 2009, 17:23
HI

I needed confirmation which I now have regarding one photo

There is a photo of two ladies with naginata. Once again it has abolutely nothing to do with Shindenfudo Ryu.

I asked Ellis Amdur and he has confirmed with Meik Skoss, that the photo has two practitioners of Tendo ryu.

Shame they couldnt be truthful but maybe they havent a clue what this stuff is and just invented a title to make a few quick bucks

Gary Arthur
24th February 2009, 20:30
Paul
Can i say a quick thankyou for letting us know that before myself, and proably others wasted our money too.

Garth

poryu
24th February 2009, 23:07
HI Gary

if your Tenjin Shinyo Ryu or Araki ryu then its not a waste of money, but if your looking for Shinden Fudo Ryu then it is.

MakotoDojo
25th February 2009, 02:54
Paul thanks for saving me some $$$!

bu-kusa
25th February 2009, 12:10
HI Gary

if your Tenjin Shinyo Ryu or Araki ryu then its not a waste of money, but if your looking for Shinden Fudo Ryu then it is.

Thank you for the information, and also saving me some money!