PDA

View Full Version : question about KFM curriculum regarding stand-up grappling and throwing techniques?

aristotelian
18th February 2009, 13:51
question about Keysi Figting Method curriculum regarding stand-up grappling and throwing techniques? Do they teach any techniques to subdue a threat without a lower risk of causing severe bodily injury?

Bod
20th February 2009, 13:08
As far as I am aware ,the Keysi Fighting Method was pretty much created for the batman movie. They just wanted something that looked different, grimy, up close.

From what I know of stage fighting, the main focus is on making the techniques clear enough for the audience to get it while being slightly in awe. Also a story has to be told. While sword fencing for instance, it is very important to telegraph the moves correctly, and perform at a slow enough pace that the audience can see:

Hero tries x
Villian thwarts him with y
Hero uses z instead.

This is in contrast to real fighting when you try x,y and z all at once, hero trips over his laces because he has foorgotten to do w and you win.

KFM has a unique look, being as it is based on a very stylistic pose - the elbow-sticking out, hand on the top of the head pose. That makes it excellent for the Batman movie. If you look at the KFM website you can see that the top instructors are two very talented film fight diectors, who have branched out into selling instructorships in their system.

It looks great, but personally, I wouldn't go for restricting myself to self-defence techniques that are chosen for a stylistic look. It seems all ofthe techniques that have been chosen for the style are valid techniques, but a lot of stuff has been thrown out to create the correct look.

Batman does no subdue threats, so it is unlikely that less lethal techniques need to be included in the system.

Oliver Ryan
24th March 2010, 10:21
Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWyqBdE5RI

Moenstah
25th March 2010, 10:48
question about Keysi Figting Method curriculum regarding stand-up grappling and throwing techniques? Do they teach any techniques to subdue a threat without a lower risk of causing severe bodily injury?

You might question some of the stuff they do in their kicks and blocks

the quoted youtube movie, 0:43. Not only is it scripted, what the [censored] blocking a mawashi geri in such as way? :eek:

Although you can something for their choice of mainly protecting the head.