PDA

View Full Version : Katas & Hojo-undo (Uechi Ryu, Pan Gai Noon)

JS3
3rd February 2001, 01:25
I would like some help in a personal dilemma that I am having.
In the style that I am currently studding we have many supplementary exercises.
We have a hojo-undo before each kata then the kata itself. (It is basically a break down of the techniques in the kata) A separate set of hojo-undo. (block / kick, block / punch etc.) And several kata.

I was wondering if this was “overdoing it”. Originally Kanbun Uechi brought back 3 kata from China; Sanchin, Seisan and San Se Rui, his son developed the other kata as “stepping stones” between these katas. (This is what I have heard / read so please correct me if I am wrong.) I understand these as being necessary for teaching in a group / class environment but what about personal one-on-one training just for the purpose of self-defense??? Especially since I have a very busy schedule and frankly would rather spend time working on / “perfecting” the katas and bunkai, rather than trying to memories a complete list of hojo-undo just to pass some tests. (Rank not important)

As a side note I was studding another style before this one and left for similar reasons. By the time I had reached shodan (approx 4 years) I had “learned” 15 katas and bunkai, 8 self-defense sets and 4 weapons kata and bunkai. I was also expected to learn 4 more kata and bunkai, 2 weapons kata and bunkai, several self-defense techniques (like 20) and teach for nidan. It was overwhelming to say the least.

I humbly and eagerly await any and all responses.

Signed
Lost In The Sauce

Doug Daulton
3rd February 2001, 21:46
Joe,

You may want to check out Mario Mckenna's website.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/4784/index.html

He has quite a bit of goot information.

Take care,