PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Roy Dean Academy

Hissho
21st March 2009, 07:49
Had an opportunity to train at the Roy Dean Academy this past week. They are in Bend, Oregon and offer classes in aikido and BJJ.

I had the pleasure of meeting Roy previously at a BJJ seminar. I knew I was going to be in Bend for some work related training, and e-mailed him about training. Though Roy was out of town for a seminar in Kuwait (it must be rough being an international man of adventure!) he invited me to come down, introduce myself and train. A classy and confident act, and I want to offer public thanks.

The class was great! You can tell the quality of a teacher by his students. Roy's student Donald (didn't get his last) ran the class and offered quality, detailed, and well explained instruction. The group got to roll afterward. My experience with both a fellow visitor that day, and with Donald, was humbling - the very reason I like BJJ, you are constantly reminded that you always can improve.

Donald was smooth, technical, and much more interested in sharing and comparing skills than some ego driven "mat rape" of the "visitor." Good stuff!

I highly recommend the Roy Dean Academy to anyone in the Bend area looking for BJJ or aikido practice.

For aikidoka, or traditional Japanese practitioners who might be interested in BJJ but are put off by an overly competitive, blatantly non-traditional martial arts environment full of tattooed bad boys in Tapout gear, the RDA would be a perfectly comfortable environment in which to be introduced to BJJ.

Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/