PDA

View Full Version : World Tournament 2009 Okinawa

TimJurgens
30th March 2009, 16:36
The Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai team is shaping up. We received confirmation from India, South Africa, the Philippines, and Saudia Arabia that they will be bringing large groups. Others are coming in ones and twos. It should be a grand event.

harleyt26
2nd April 2009, 19:49
Hello Jurgens sensei.
Ryu Kyu Kobudo Tesshinkan will have large groups from Canada,U.S.A. and Germany plus a few others hopefully at the event. It looks like Ryu Kyu Kobudo will be represented in large numbers. I hope some other styles will turn out for it also.

Tom Hodges

tgall
11th April 2009, 20:06
Hi,

as fare as I heard, there would also be a few guys from the Yamanni-Chinen-Ryu groupe of Germany.

Sincerly

Thomas

TimJurgens
21st April 2009, 05:21
I am looking forward to meeting everyone who shows up.

Akamine Sensei is one of the teachers who has been asked to run a seminar during the seminar days. I hope as many as possible have the chance to join in.

Timo
21st April 2009, 09:23
Was just a spectator last World tournament so i'm interested to know how the judging criteria for Bo kata is conducted.With regards to the different Ryu and their kata that share the same names but are completly different in appearence.Anyone care to comment?

TimJurgens
23rd April 2009, 07:23
Was just a spectator last World tournament so i'm interested to know how the judging criteria for Bo kata is conducted.With regards to the different Ryu and their kata that share the same names but are completly different in appearence.Anyone care to comment?

This year there will be consecutive series of eliminations. Two people face off, do their kata. Then the judges raise a red or white flag to indicate who they though was better.

Not sure this is a good system, as if two strong people come up at the same time, one viable competitor will be elminated, and likewise if two weak people come up at the same time one will advance. I am not sure this system will select the best competitors.

Regards,

Tim

tgall
24th April 2009, 08:36
Hello Tim,

we use the flag system in Germany too, and we found it makes it easier for the judges cause it easier to say red or blue had been the better one. It is also better for the spepctator cause the could better compare the results.
If two good people start at the same time there will be the will be the repechage, and the weak one would be eliminated in the next round.

Sincerly

Thomas

Timo
26th April 2009, 01:25
I think you would want to have many kata to take into this tounament.I believe there is to be no repeats per round?
Knowing who you may face each round will have the advantage of which kata to perform so as to save your best for last.
I'm still intrigued to see how the judges will score aka,shiro competitors who perform same name kata eg. Shushi,Choun no kun from Yamanni Chinen and Shushi,Choun from Hozon Shinkokai.Totally different.