PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Mars

Hissho
17th April 2009, 03:45
Don't know how many of you have read member Jeff Beish's (Dusty Mars) Resume of Judo, but its good stuff with great pics.

Jeff, I was moved by the one of the Auston Police judo club practice with Billy Speed, who was killed by Charles Whitman.

http://www.dustymars.net/Resume_of_Judo.htm

Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.

DustyMars
9th May 2009, 19:45
Just the musing of an old man.

It has been so long ago I remember little of Billy except that he enjoyed Judo and BS'ing with us. Our club at Bergstrom was involved with several groups in Austin including the Police Dept. A few of our GI members were AP's and that allowed them contact with their counterparts.

I remember hearing about the Tower thing on the radio driving to work. Was a few days later we found out about speed. Was a shock.

Wish I couold re-live some of those days. Now much of the memories are going away.

DustyMars
29th June 2009, 22:56
I often wonder why people avoid publishing their Judo experience on these discussion groups. In my younger days we always held to the axiom that we should not brag or boast about our Judo. “One who talks does not know,” and all that. But after 40 or 50 years and the fact that my days in the dojo are long over and old Judo buddy convinced me to write an autobiography so I did. It was an exercise of futility for while, but then became interesting; in the fact that I really never though much about it and had forgotten what Judo was to me.

Judo really is about people. Friends and relationships. Over all those years I met and became friends with a lot of people. Because my jobs for the better part of 30 years were traveling around I would work out at various dojos and must have met 90% of all the Judoka in this country, and a lot in Japan as well. So, I set out to look up their names and if they are still above room temperature, and digging it all up begat more information and so on. Still yet many of us old Judo buds keep in contact with each other and if not hardly anyone would give a hoot one way or the other about us.

So, that is mostly why it was published on Internet – to see how many old buddies would respond. So far, the ones still alive e-mail now and then and keep correct on who is with us and not, and it gives us at least some information on the old bunch as a whole. :D

I wish more Judoka would follow suit and do away with all the hidden agenda.

David Gorden
18th October 2009, 11:00
You are so right Jeff. While my time on Okinawa was a little behind yours, I have wondered about the guys who I knew then. I found and am in touch with Pat Goldsworthy, who is living at the Soldier's and Airman's Home in DC, I have yet contact Dean Tower, Walt Conlon, Jerry Dean, Wille Peavey, Ree C. Fitzpatrick, Steve Vorweck or a guy named Matthews. Who knows, maybe they aren't around anymore. I also keep in mind of their ages now and sometimes the older guys just aren't into computer use.

DustyMars
18th October 2009, 14:03
How's it going Dave? Glad to hear from you. I had total knee replacement on Oct. 7th and am in s "old Ladies" home now recovering. Man, this stuff is not for wimps and it hurts like hell. It's like self induced torture! Hopefully, I will learn to walk again.

All those guys are resting :laugh: Some at room temperature and some of us at 98.6.

It still hurts so will stop BS'ing for now. My wife took a photo in my new Judogi so check it out in my bio. Vanity should not be wasted :)

Jeff