PDA

View Full Version : Budo and / as Education for Peace ?

dr.j.m.wolters
5th February 2001, 11:35
(I follow a tip of MarkF and post here again my subject)

Does anybody study / teach Budo as a special method of Education (Paedagogik) or Therapy ?

For example to become a >Paeceful Warrior< (what means a special Budo-training against violence/aggression with juvenile delinquencies) ?

I am very interested in ideas, projects, experiences, contacts, because there are such courses in Germany under my responcebility.

Thank You
J.M. Wolters

[Edited by dr.j.m.wolters on 02-05-2001 at 05:38 AM]

dr.j.m.wolters
13th February 2001, 09:10
Who will let me know his experience with or realization of Budo as Education Programs and Therapy - or his conception about this subject ?

Please tell me if my question or subject in general is too unprecise, too simple, or not interesting anybody ?

I am working as a therapist using budo (karatedo) in programs to reduce violence behavior of juveniles delinquent in schools, social institutions, juvenile-jails and psychiatric institutions with success. Furthermore I offer special education programs for budo-teachers and psychologues in this subject.

I'm looking foreward to your replies,

Jörg Wolters,
(Martial Arts For Peace Education Programs)
Germany

Apologize for beeing so busy in this case....

[Edited by dr.j.m.wolters on 02-13-2001 at 03:12 AM]

kenshorin
24th February 2001, 17:57
I think if you give some more examples of what you are seeking, it might aid people in answering your question.

As to what I believe you are looking for...
Many people believe that karate *will* shape up any delinquent person, and I just find that isn't the case. In my dojo, we have many success stories about students who were problematic who were able to turn themselves around. However, I know of many people who went to a dojo that mine used to be affiliated with who didn't turn out so well. Now, the curriculum was the same, much of the instruction was the same. What was the difference? The difference was at my dojo, we maintain a positive atmosphere, and through positive reinforcement we bring students along. The other dojo was a negative environment, and that is one reason we are no longer affiliated with them. There was bullying at their dojo, conflicts, rivalries, egos, and cliques (basically, light segregation between belts and whatnot). These are negative aspects that are present in todays culture, and is the main reason todays culture is so f&^%ed up. Although we aren't perfect, being products of our society, we have had conflicts but are always quick to stifle them in a positive manner. It is the positive atmosphere, where everybody works together as equals and realizes that we each have something to learn from each other, which develops the character. This does not just pertain to martial arts, however. You can achieve the same results in any other activity, be it sport, hobby, whatever. The difference is whether or not the group is handled as a positive environment.

Our society is our environment. Delinquents don't come out of nowhere, they are developed as a byproduct of a poor environment, and don't develop correctly. Place those individuals in a good environment allows them to change. That good environment can be a good dojo, a good afterschool program, etc. The problem is finding that place, for as many good places there are, there are always more of the bad out there.

dr.j.m.wolters
24th February 2001, 18:52
Thank you for your reply.

I agree, that nobody can claim karate generally to be the only, the best way to become less violent. It depends on the ART of Karate, the kind of teaching, the kind of instructor and dojo.

But I disagree that no matter what you do with violent youngsters you will achieve the same results with any other activities.

I believe that "true" Karate-Do (good Budo), the ART of the way is how to manage your emotions, emotional disturbances - and aggrressiveness. First you learn how to fight, but afterwards you learn how to controle body and mind. The ART of the way of Karate is to overcome the desires to fight, because win or loose is nothing worth. The only thing that is anything worth is to avoid violence. On my opinion the mastery of martial arts is to become a "Peaceful Warrior", that is someone who is able to fight but does not want to ! Not because he is afraid (in fact there is no reason to be afraid of anything, not even death), but because of his conviction of peace and his (fighting- and human) superyority.

This is especially for violent young man a good lesson, necessary and helpful. No other activity teaches the same.

Sincerely
Jörg Wolters, Germany