PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Body, part 2

Tripitaka of AA
1st May 2009, 12:27
A news article concerning the kind of freaky injury (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1175426/Woman-20-paralysed-life-twisting-knee-playing-childrens-game-stuck-mud.html) that people can pick up during training (the woman concerned was teaching a Kids Jujitsu class).

Clearly this is an exceptional case, but it reminded me of how many injuries are encountered by all the people that exercise for a healthy body. It seems like a contradiction in terms, but one that we have to acknowledge when trying to design the "perfect" training environment; training for dangerous violent encounters, must be safe and non-injurious to the participants whenever possible.

Your thoughts please.

stevenm
1st May 2009, 12:42
Freaky things happen.

Hazards are always there just the risk (likelihood of occurrence) is usually insignificant but possible.

Even sleeping in your bed can be dangerous.

How often do you read in the papers that 'so and so' died in their death bed.

My advice is if you come across one of these ‘death beds’ keep well away from it and on no account get in it and fall asleep.

Tripitaka of AA
1st May 2009, 13:38
:laugh: Excellent response Steve. I'll bear that in mind.;)

I've always avoided boots as footwear, for the same reason. So many people who met their end "with their boots on". Sounds like the kind of dangerous activity that Central Government should do something about. Comfy slippers all around.

I've been thinking of designing a sofa that has a gentle rocking motion, to help couch-potatoes like me to keep the blood flowing properly. Should be reasonably inexpensive, and offers considerable advantages over some of the more traditional methods of exercise; no need for special clothing or footwear, no additional cost in hiring a venue, no concerns over keeping sufficient students to support a club, and you can watch TV while you do it. I guess there may be a "sea-sickness" issue, but I get that each time I waddle to the kitchen for another tub of ice-cream.

Rob Gassin
1st May 2009, 22:19
The relationship between this lady's knee injury and her current situation is not as direct as suggested in the article. The likely scenario is - She twisted her leg - rested (immobilised) it because of the pain. Consequently she developed a deep venous thrombosis (DVT) (which she was probably genetically predisposed to). Part of the DVT came loose and flicked to her lung, resulting in a pulmonary embolus (PE).

She consequently developed a complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS). This is a rare condition that can follow any injury but is thought to be more likely to occur if treatment includes immobilisation. It is very difficult to treat successfully.

So the chance of anyone else developing the same sequelae to a similar injury is extremely low. In this unfortunately, no changes in training environment would have made any difference. She was just very unlucky.

Tripitaka of AA
1st May 2009, 22:33
Thank you Rob, I was particularly hoping you would reply to this one. I remind people that Rob is a qualified medical professional and that his opinion is based on considerably more than the average person's knowledge of such matters.

Further to the analysis you have offered, may I ask a general question Rob; I wondered if the application of ice to the injury was ever considered to be a possible cause of DVTs, as the effect is reduce the swelling by reducing the size of the local blood vessels. Doesn't that make "dirty" blood get stuck in the area, when it should be getting flushed away by an increased blood flow?*

*Yes, I really did make that completely naive reference to a foolish picture of what I imagine happening in the area of a blunt trauma injury. I really am that uninformed.

Rob Gassin
2nd May 2009, 13:05
David,

Application of ice is one of the standard treatments of acute injuries. I am not sure that there is any evidence that it is either beneficial or harmful. In fact some Australian Football teams now use heat to treat acute injuries. Again, I am not sure of the rationale.

With regards to ice packs and DVT, I haven't heard that application of ice packs increases the risk of DVTs. In fact, I think that it is unlikely, otherwise, you would expect people who live in colder climates to regularly suffer DVTs, just from walking outside :laugh:.

Cheers,

Tripitaka of AA
2nd May 2009, 16:13
Thanks Rob. I love your explanations and I value the logical application of common-sense.

Now, about this mole on my back..... ;)

Rob Gassin
3rd May 2009, 01:31
Now, about this mole on my back..... ;)

It's not the mole I'd worry about, it's who's attached to it :laugh:.