PDA

View Full Version : aikido "combat"

dainippon99
5th February 2001, 21:17
I've had a thought i would like to share. I dont think that any style of aikido can be said to be a form of "combat" any more than another can. Then there are people who say that their aikido isnt combat oriented, but it is self defense oriented. Going by these standards, you couldnt call daito ryu combat either. I take it that by combat, you mean battlefield. oshikiuchi is translated as "palace art" or something along those lines. Daito was meant for everyday life (self defense). SO with this in mind, i htink we could call all aikido combat oriented due to its self defense capabilities.

Anne Marie
5th February 2001, 23:45
I guess your answer would depend on what you mean by combat. Yes, combat to me means battlefield application. But to me it also means when you train to kill your attacker to win in conflict. With that understanding, that goes against the basic principles of aikido, in that we train to defend ourselves with the least possible harm to the aggressor.

Now, sometimes if a person believes they are being attacked with deadly force they can meet that with deadly force. But even though we are martial artists we still are only allowed to meet force with force, legally.

The point that I make in training is to curb my application of technique depending on the kind and the power of the attack given. I practice this by being gentle on new people and going all out with more experience practitioners. The key to all practice is to make sure no matter the degree of force I use, I remain in control.

Anne Marie