PDA

View Full Version : Gokyu

Ryu
6th February 2001, 03:49
I was promoted to gokyu today at the Tamura institute.
I've only been there about 2 weeks, but my background in wrestling and BJJ have really helped. I'm very happy right now, even though it's probably not that big of a deal. :)

Also wanted to thank the board for all the great info, and advice!

Take care,
Ryu

MarkF
6th February 2001, 07:12
I'm very happy right now, even though it's probably not that big of a deal.

"I'm very happy right now!" "I'm very happy right now."

Two weeks and he's happy. God, can we bare sankyu after this?

Mark

BTW: this isn't very common, so you should feel good about it. I was once bumped in the locker room at my dojo.

I think you're too happy.:laugh::laugh:

Ryu
6th February 2001, 15:13
Sankyu will definaely be unbearable :D
Haha JK.

Thanks Mark!

S'ok, I'm trying to stay as humble as I can :smilejapa

Maybe it's not showing well? :)

Ryu

MarkF
7th February 2001, 10:14
:smilejapa

Ben_Holmes
8th February 2001, 04:47
Just a short story about being humble... The All Marine Corps Judo Tournament (back in 1976) gave me the final points I needed for Shodan. I went to the hometown on leave, and my Shodan certificate which had been mailed to my parents house, arrived. Not owning a black belt, I borrowed one from my original sensei before heading over to the club on the Navy CBC base, run by a friend of mine (Ron Myers).

My first Judo class wearing a black belt!!! Ahhh glorious! Never even dreamed I'd ever have a black belt... My good friend lined up the whole dojo, and had me 'run the line'. Naturally, I'd give 'em all a little time to try their best stuff before throwing everyone... I started in with the kids, and got up to an orange belt who was perhaps 12 years old and 90 pounds sopping wet. He tried Ouchigari, I just lifted my leg, he kept trying to hook my leg, I just lifted it higher (I was very proud of my flexibility), the kid spun and planted his foot in Tai Otoshi, and my 190 pounds of mean green machine was demonstrating ukemi...

I got up and self-righteously accused my friend of having coached the orange belt in what to do to take 'advantage' of my weakness... he admitted he had!

So, I learned to eat humble pie, if not just a little lesson on humility. True story!!