PDA

View Full Version : Aiki Kempo Jujutsu (Richard Kim / Patrick McCarthy)

Ollie
23rd May 2009, 13:00
Dear mr Patrick McCarthy
can you tell us more about this this who had trained in these styles that you have trained with , for me Especially Daitoryu where most Aiki aspect comes from
and maybe also how long you trained with these people
i know people speak highly of you and i respect that .

Koryu Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu is modern (gendai) martial art system which preserves the techniques and principle themes of the Okazaki-based Danzan-ryu, Small Circle/Komaru-ryu jujutsu, Daito Ryu Aiki, Takenouchi-ryu and Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu and the weapons tradition of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu.

The core curriculum of Koryu Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu contains; posturing, body movement, evading, off-balancing, blending, escaping, throws, joint locks, holds, chokes, blocks, strikes, thrusts, kicks, and body blows. In addition Koryu Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu includes the study of wooden and bladed weapons of the TSKSR tradition.

Ollie

Patrick McCarthy
24th May 2009, 13:20
Dear mr Patrick McCarthy
can you tell us more about this this who had trained in these styles that you have trained with , for me Especially Daitoryu where most Aiki aspect comes from
and maybe also how long you trained with these people
i know people speak highly of you and i respect that .

Koryu Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu is modern (gendai) martial art system which preserves the techniques and principle themes of the Okazaki-based Danzan-ryu, Small Circle/Komaru-ryu jujutsu, Daito Ryu Aiki, Takenouchi-ryu and Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu and the weapons tradition of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu.

The core curriculum of Koryu Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu contains; posturing, body movement, evading, off-balancing, blending, escaping, throws, joint locks, holds, chokes, blocks, strikes, thrusts, kicks, and body blows. In addition Koryu Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu includes the study of wooden and bladed weapons of the TSKSR tradition.

Ollie

Dear Ollie san,

Thank you for your post and my apologies on the delay in responding. Nathan Scott was kind enough to PM me about your query as I don't get over this way much.

I was a bit surprised by your query and went to look at the Jujutsu page of our website and was a bit surprised by the wording myself - we're just rebuilding the site after being the victims of a malicious virus, through which we lost everything. The said page is, "a-work-in-progress."

Must apologize for the inadvertent use of the term Koryu. I know this is a sensitive issue amidst the Koryu community. I am sure it must have been as much a surprise for you as it was for me to see the term on the page. I have asked the web designer to remove it and the accompanying text he thought was appropriate. Over the next few weeks I will write something more appropriate with regards to its development.

Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu is NOT a Koryu but rather a contemporary discipline based on "MY" interpretation of classical tradition.

FYI, I am now in my mid-fifties and have studied the classical and contemporary fighting arts since childhood with...

Carl "Dutchie" Schell - Judo
Ron Forrester - CDN Jujutsu
Wally Jay - Small Circle Jujutsu
Richard Kim - Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu
Kinjo Hiroshi - Karate-jutsu
Izawa Takehiro - Muso Shinden Eishin Ryu
Sugino Yoshio - TSKSR
Takada Nobuhiko - Kakutogi

Aiki Kenpo Jujutsu Core Practices

#1. Giving & receiving percussive impact/blunt force trauma: Uchi/Uke-waza [29 techniques]

#2. Negotiating the clinch: Tegumi: Kotekitai, Kakie, Ude Tanren and Muchimi-di, etc. [36 techniques]

#3. Joint manipulation, cavity seizing & limb entanglement: Kansetsu/Tuite-waza [72 techniques]

#4. Chokes/strangles-air/blood deprivation: Shime-waza [36 techniques]

#5. Balance displacement: Nage-waza [55 techniques]

#6. Ground-fighting & submission: Ne-waza [72 techniques]

#7. Escapes & counters: Gyaku-waza [36 techniques]

#8. Swordsmanship: A contemporary/modified interpretation of Sugino-ha [Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu 天真正伝香取神道流] Kenjutsu, based upon using the Tachi [太刀/sword, 12 kata], Kodachi [小太刀/short sword, 3 kata] and Ryoto [両刀/two swords, 4 kata]. Curriculum also includes Iai-jutsu [居合術/sword-drawing, 16 kata], Tameshigiri [試し斬り/test cutting, 4 kata] and free-style fighting [without protective equipment] with bokken [wooden] and live metal [non-sharpened] blades.

Yoroshiku

Ollie
24th May 2009, 20:35
Dear Mr Patrick McCarthy
Thank you very much for the answers
it helps a lot
Ollie

Kendoguy9
25th May 2009, 00:43
Dear Mr. McCarthy,

I would be very interested to know how Mr. Kim taught Daito-ryu. Did he teach in any special order? Is there any record of what his teachniques were like (video, print, etc.)? It seems like every branch of Daito-ryu has a different way of teaching so it would be interesting to know how Mr. Kim's branch taught. Did any of his students receive any rank in Daito-ryu or was it more casual? It looks like he was given densho in kenjutsu and bo/jojutsu too. Did he ever teach any of those elements of Daito-ryu?

I remember looking into this a few years ago, just after Mr. Kim passed away and not many people mentioned much about his studies in Daito-ryu except in passing. It seems that many of his students now place a strong emphasis on his Daito-ryu training. I am glad his association with Mr. Yoshida is becoming better documented. Mr. Kim may be the earliest person to teach Daito-ryu in the US which is also very interesting.

Best regards,

Patrick McCarthy
25th May 2009, 12:09
Dear Mr. McCarthy,

I would be very interested to know how Mr. Kim taught Daito-ryu. Did he teach in any special order? Is there any record of what his teachniques were like (video, print, etc.)? It seems like every branch of Daito-ryu has a different way of teaching so it would be interesting to know how Mr. Kim's branch taught. Did any of his students receive any rank in Daito-ryu or was it more casual? It looks like he was given densho in kenjutsu and bo/jojutsu too. Did he ever teach any of those elements of Daito-ryu?

I remember looking into this a few years ago, just after Mr. Kim passed away and not many people mentioned much about his studies in Daito-ryu except in passing. It seems that many of his students now place a strong emphasis on his Daito-ryu training. I am glad his association with Mr. Yoshida is becoming better documented. Mr. Kim may be the earliest person to teach Daito-ryu in the US which is also very interesting.

Best regards,

Dear Christopher san,

Thank you for your query.

As a young karate yudansha, I was recommended to study Karate and Okinawan Kobudo under Sendai in Oct of 1977. It was during that time I discovered he was also proficient in other disciplines, such as Judo, boxing and Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu.

I am not sure which other students, outside his inner-circle, learned the Daito Ryu teachings under Sendai but I am certain that most of us did not follow classical mokuroku. Sendai advocated that, “As actual fighting was not bound by rules one’s training should not be limited by style.” In the strictest sense of the word Sendai viewed styles as incomplete, limiting and counterproductive. Sendai said that Yoshida sensei emphasized realism, functionality and contextual-based training...and was regarded as something of a recluse. He encouraged thinking outside the box, the learning of principles and the application of concepts rather than dogma and cognitive response. In addition to sword, kodachi, ryoto, yari and jo, that's what we got and that what we studied in support of application practices.

While they knew each other for many years in Japan and China [I am not sure what their official connection was] Yoshida sensei resided with Sendai at his home in Yokohama, sometime after the war until the mid 1950's, when Sendai returned to the USA. Sendai received a Menkyo Kaiden from Yoshida sensei in the early 1950's but, as I understand it, did not pass the entire tradition on to a single inheritor because, as he put it, post-war Americans [I think he meant Westerners in general] could not embrace/endure the harsh training in the same way that pre-war Japanese could.

Ollie
25th May 2009, 13:07
Dear Mr McCarthy
Is the Menkyo kaiden from Yoshida kotaro to Richard Kim In Daitoryu Aikijujutsu or in Shidare -yanagi ryu jujutsu or another Ryu ?

In Daitoryu it is only the Soke (at the time Takeda Tokimune ) that can give Menkyo Kaiden in Daitoryu Aikijujutsu /Aikibudo

Ollie.

Patrick McCarthy
25th May 2009, 13:25
Dear Mr McCarthy
Is the Menkyo kaiden from Yoshida kotaro to Richard Kim In Daitoryu Aikijujutsu or in Shidare -yanagi ryu jujutsu or another Ryu ?

In Daitoryu it is only the Soke (at the time Takeda Tokimune ) that can give Menkyo Kaiden in Daitoryu Aikijujutsu /Aikibudo

Ollie.

I'm sorry - I don't know.

Ollie
25th May 2009, 13:25
Dear All
as far as i know Yoshida Kotaro´s son Kenji Kotaro did not recived any licens
or scroll in Daitoryu Aikijujutsu . but he were very skilled in Martial arts /Yanagi Ryu
Ollie.

Ollie
25th May 2009, 15:26
sorry
Yoshida kotaro ´s son name is Yoshida Kenji
Ollie

Simon Keegan
26th May 2009, 10:33
Yoshida Kotaro had an earlier student teaching in the States - Mikonosuke Kawaishi.

Kawaishi taught in New York and San Diego in the 1920s before moving to England and teaching in Liverpool from 1928.

I have a personal interest in this because my great-uncle trained with Kawaishi's assistant instructor and successor in Liverpool, Gerald Skyner. One of Kawaishi's other leading Jujutsu students prior to becoming a full-time Judo instructor was Georges London in France.

I asked Kawaishi's son what style of Jujutsu his father taught prior to his "conversion" to Judo and he basically said "It wasn't really Daito Ryu - it was more like Kawaishi Ryu" But I got the impression that he meant "Kawaishi Ryu" in the sense that it was a style formulated by his father, not an old family tradition like Yanagi Ryu etc.

See:
http://judoinfo.com/kawaishi.htm

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.jiujitsusalta.com.ar/Yoshida%2520Kotaro.htm&ei=wbYbStl51pmMB-iR9akL&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkawaishi%2B%2522yoshida%2Bkotaro%2522%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG

Hope that's of interest.

Nathan Scott
26th May 2009, 20:16
Hello Ollie,

Actually, Tokimune was only "Soke" of his own Daito-ryu Aikibudo, not his father's Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu. Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu does not use the iemoto/natori system.

Regards,

Kendoguy9
28th May 2009, 03:20
Dear Mr. McCarthy,

Thank you for your answer to my questions. Forgive my ignorance but is Sendai another name for Mr. Kim? I'm sorry I don't know if that is a title, a Japanese name for him, etc.

I would be very interested in seeing the kenjutsu and sojutsu that Mr. Kim taght from Yoshida sensei. I saw a clip from an instructional video tape by the Zen Bei Butokukai of their weapons techniques and it all looked like Ryukyu kobudo in Japanese garb and with a yari, naginata, etc.

It is a shame about Mr. Kim's opinions of Westerns being able to take the hard training of Daito-ryu. Having suffered many hours of Daito-ryu training I can assure his late soul we can take the harsh training. It is also a shame he didn't see it important to transmit the ryu in any formal way.

Best regards,

Patrick McCarthy
28th May 2009, 06:45
Dear Mr. McCarthy,

Thank you for your answer to my questions. Forgive my ignorance but is Sendai another name for Mr. Kim? I'm sorry I don't know if that is a title, a Japanese name for him, etc.

I would be very interested in seeing the kenjutsu and sojutsu that Mr. Kim taght from Yoshida sensei. I saw a clip from an instructional video tape by the Zen Bei Butokukai of their weapons techniques and it all looked like Ryukyu kobudo in Japanese garb and with a yari, naginata, etc.

It is a shame about Mr. Kim's opinions of Westerns being able to take the hard training of Daito-ryu. Having suffered many hours of Daito-ryu training I can assure his late soul we can take the harsh training. It is also a shame he didn't see it important to transmit the ryu in any formal way.

Best regards,

Dear friend,

Sendai [先代 - lit. 1. family predecessor, 2. previous age, 3. previous generation] is a colloquial Japanese term we use to describe the late master, Richard Kim Hanshi. My apologies on the ambiguity of the term, I thought it was common.

TTBOMK, there are no DVD performances of his sword or yari, and the Ryukyu/Okinawan kobudo cannot be compared to Yoshida's teachings.

I concur with your opinion about Westerners; there are many of us who are more than familiar with harsh training. I also trained with enough of his inner-circle to know how tough most of those guys really were. So, it's entirely possible that he liked to make such comparisons when speaking about austere training in Japan, "[I]to encourage us to train harder."

Finally, while I cannot speak for Sendai, [and I am sure there will be repercussions for this comment] but, I had heard some rumors about Black Dragon Society-related activity in pre-war Japan/China, connecting Yoshida and Kim; I cannot say one way or the other but perhaps this might have some bearing upon why Sendai never taught Daito Ryu publicly??! I can tell you this, he was quite a person and to this day I have yet to meet his equal.