PDA

View Full Version : When should you apply the brakes?

Ade
30th May 2009, 14:47
Dear All

Gassho

After the thread about unsuitable kenshi here's the interesting conundrum.

When should you apply the brakes to an unsuitable student?

I was once told that to wear a black belt in Shorinji you should be mentally correct, of good character and technically adept.

Otherwise you couldn't represent Shorinji.

Now whilst I accept that some students make up for weakness in one area by excelling in another I am frequently faced with the same problem.

Sometimes students think they're ready when they're not - or sometimes the student's just not the right stuff.

In all my career I only regret grading one kenshi to black belt who went on to let me down, (all the warning signs were there, but I didn't pick up on them - and and rotten seeds breed rotten fruit.)

So what does black belt in Shorinji mean? should gradings be a given? should gakka be the main emphasis? should half for yourselves be robustly applied?

Because of recent events within the BSKF my intention is to make gradings (locally) harder but I know that the easy way for some to appear successful will be to pass all.

So my question is: - What's the point of grading?

And when should you say no - you're not grading, you're not suitable?

Rob Gassin
30th May 2009, 15:26
So my question is: - What's the point of grading?

And when should you say no - you're not grading, you're not suitable?

I think that this is an excellent question to be asked to Senior WSKO instructors. There should be some guidelines. In such matters, consistency is crucial.

You write that 'sometimes the student is just not the right stuff'. To a significant extent this is a personal/value judgement.

How, for example, do we decide when a very keen kenshi with an intellectual and physical disability is ready to grade? He may not be able to complete the physical and/or intellectual requirements of the grading but could deserve recognition solely on the basis of effort and dedication.

I think that it is very important for the Branch Master to make it clear that he is the one to decide when kenshi are ready to grade. Also when asked why someone was not selected to grade, he should be painfully honest. The 3 requirements you mention 'mentally correct, of good character and technically adept' are appropriate and should be enforced as from the very first grading. In other words, clear and consistent standards are easier to enforce.

Cheers,

Indar
30th May 2009, 18:52
So what does black belt in Shorinji mean? should gradings be a given?

"Therefore, the Kenshi wishing to take the test must qualify for the test in terms of disposition and ability. Giving a favour in the test only loses the Kenshi's self-confidence. For this reason, the Kenshi falling short of the the required level of achievement mus be failed in a strict manner."

(Seminar Material for WSKO Examiners and Judges, 1997).

I once failed a young boy at Brixton childrens class after his mother insisted that he grade, although he clearly wasn't ready. I felt bad about it, since he was 7 or 8 years old, but also felt that I had to fail him since he didn't know the techniques, and more importantly, didn't seem interested.

Ewok
31st May 2009, 13:47
Grading is about technical ability (not doing it "right", but showing understanding and giving it a fair try).

Everything else comes before the grading - you need the BM's OK to be able to grade, if they don't think you are ready, you ain't ready.

Indar
1st June 2009, 13:41
I think that this is an excellent question to be asked to Senior WSKO instructors. There should be some guidelines. In such matters, consistency is crucial.

"The Shike shall authenticate, including, but not limited to, granting and
divesting of any and all qualifications concerning Shorinji Kempo to/from
any and all members of the Organization."

http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/wsko/statutes/index.html

luar
1st June 2009, 16:11
I remember being told of a story that occurred years before I joined this branch and under the previous branch manager. There was a 1rst Kyu kenshi who was well known to have questionable character. During a training camp weekend, the branch went out to eat at a local Japanese restaurant where he got drunk and continuously harassing the waitresses to the point of embarassment. When it came for the time to take his Shodan, the branch master told him that he would not pass him. The kenshi left the branch obviously upset and never returned.