PDA

View Full Version : David Carradine

TheBadger
4th June 2009, 16:05
For good or bad, many of us got our first introduction to the martial arts from the TV series "Kung Fu". Though far from a traditional martial artist, David Carradine motivated many of us to take our first steps into a dojo and his passing should be noted. David Carradine passed away today in Thailand. An apparent suicide.

DustyMars
4th June 2009, 16:32
I will miss him from Western Tech or cowboy shows in TV. He always seemed a sad guy. I remember him in Kung Fu, good job, R.I.P.

TheBadger
4th June 2009, 16:42
I will miss him from Western Tech or cowboy shows in TV. He always seemed a sad guy. I remember him in Kung Fu, good job, R.I.P.

Yeah, I think the Kung Fu series was both a blessing and a curse for him. Like many typecast actors (Mark Hamill = Luke Skywalker, Adam West = Batman, etc), he never could seem to get away from being Kwai Chang Caine.

yoj
4th June 2009, 19:06
The flute is indeed silent now.

Cady Goldfield
5th June 2009, 03:10
It apparently was accidental, the result of an auto-erotic asphyxiation session gone wrong. Carradine led a colorful life, to say the least, and his death appears to have been equally colorful.

Like Bruce Lee, Carradine played a part in getting Westerners interested in Asian martial arts and philosophies. Even though he wasn't actually a martial artist or philosopher (he just played one on TV), he was a very effective messenger and model for lots of young MA neophytes.

RIP

Hissho
5th June 2009, 05:53
Cady

Where did you see the confirmation on the auto-erotic asphyxiation? I suspected that might be the case based on some other factors.

Brian Owens
5th June 2009, 08:13
...I suspected that might be the case based on some other factors.

Likewise.

Either way, a sad story. My condolances to the Carradine family.

Vedenant
5th June 2009, 08:16
Here's the story:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article6434286.ece

DustyMars
5th June 2009, 11:17
Another side of it: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/17906/kung-fu-star-carradine-dead

DustyMars
5th June 2009, 14:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymwILj3zyGg

Maybe he did learn the Way.

P. Hval
6th June 2009, 15:48
Agree with that, David Carradine should be remembered: he played the series'
role poignantly, sincerely. So in a sense, he taught the way.

imarubber
6th June 2009, 19:12
It was Kung Fu that got me interested in martial arts initially, not only for Caine's ability to "fight like then tigers", but for the compassionate philosophy espoused by the Shaolin monks, such as the following exchange between a young Kwai Chang Caine and Master Po:

Caine: How may I walk a peaceful path, when the world is seldom peaceful?
Po: Peace lies not in the world, Grasshopper. But in the man who walks the path.
Caine: But in my path may be men not filled with peace.
Po: Then seek another path.
Caine: And if at each turn, appear those who would be violent, and do not love peace.
Po: To reach perfection, a man must develop equally compassion and wisdom.
Caine: But, Master. How do I not contend with a man that would contend with me?
Po: In a heart that is one with nature, though the body contends, there is no violence. And in the heart that is not one with nature, though the body be at rest, there is always violence. Be therefore, like the prow of a boat - it cleaves the water, yet it leaves in its wake, water unbroken.

R.I.P. Grasshopper. :smilejapa

Steve Delaney
7th June 2009, 02:38
Cady

Where did you see the confirmation on the auto-erotic asphyxiation? I suspected that might be the case based on some other factors.

According to BBC news, David Carradine's hands were bound and there was a boot mark on his bedsheets that didn't match his.

Foul play has been implied by his agent, friends and family.

Hissho
7th June 2009, 05:56
Interesting Steve, I haven't seen any coverage of that - after posting my question, what I have seen since has pretty much pointed to the auto-erotic angle.

It's hard to explain that to families that don't want to hear it, though.

DustyMars
11th June 2009, 23:32
More to story: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jDguD6Erb_wOQR6KdfjkDdFwLBBgD98ONHR03

I have a sneaking suspicion that extraterrestrials have a hand in this :laugh: Actually, not trying to be funny, it is highly suspicious that the Thai cops jumped the gun and pronounced it suicide after trashing the evidence. Not that I suspect they would try to cover up their traditional killing ways.

Hissho
11th June 2009, 23:48
Or, if he is actually a "forensics expert" that the family really hired, and assuming he has seen some pics, he can safely say "no suicide" because he has experience with auto-erotic asphyxiation and knows what he is looking at.

DustyMars
12th June 2009, 00:13
Or, if he is actually a "forensics expert" that the family really hired, and assuming he has seen some pics, he can safely say "no suicide" because he has experience with auto-erotic asphyxiation and knows what he is looking at.

well, as a guy almost as old as he was! I do not understand how he tied a rope around his privates, since mine fell off at the age of 50 :laugh:

Brian Owens
12th June 2009, 04:20
This is the E-Budo Memorial section folks.

Please take crass "humor" to another thread.

P. Hval
13th June 2009, 15:44
Cayce, thank you for supplying the so-nice dialogue between Grasshopper and his Mentor - exquisite despite being for TV at a time such discourses were unfamiliar and unpopular.
Has there been any new info....for ex., the bootprint that was mentioned or about other person(s) involved?

Richard Scardina
20th June 2009, 06:50
I was a fan of the Kung Fu series the same as the Green Hornet. What a wonderful era to be a part of.

jdostie
20th June 2009, 16:46
The last thing he said in the interview, ". . . the most important thing to me is - I had an awful lot of fun." I hope that's the case.

Whatever the cause of his death, whatever you think about that, this is a man that touched a great many people, and a man who (along with Bruce Lee and a few others) opened up the world of martial arts to a lot of people. He will be missed.