PDA

View Full Version : Musashi - The 35 Articles on the Art of Swordsmanship

jscotello
7th February 2001, 17:20
I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of an English version of "The 35 Articles on the Art of Swordsmanship", written by Musashi. I have found other works by him (namely "The Five Rings") fully translated on the Internet, but can only find references to the Articles. The same goes for literary sources. Additionally if you can recomend other excellent, and historically based texts/treatises on swordsmanship, I would be thankful.

John Scotello

Just some guy
7th February 2001, 20:14
Mr Scotello,
I think you're going to have a realy hard time with an english translation of Musashi's 35 Articles. I have one but, only by chance. It was translated by Dave Hewitt and he gave it out as an extra to his seminar. That I know of, this is the only english copy that exists and Dave only really gives it out at seminars. Sorry for the Bad news there.

Robert Wolfe
8th February 2001, 00:37
An English-language synopsis of the 35 Articles is available at http://www.koryubudo.com/articles/ken-3.htm

Just some guy
8th February 2001, 09:56
Okay, I have to say that this page is not the same as reading the actual articals. Some of the things are pretty off in comparison with the translation I have,and they only have 35 articles. In actuality, there are 36 articles in the work. Ther last article is only one sentecne to say that Musashi can't put a what he wants to say in word and therefore leaves it to the student. Therefore he really didn't count that among the articles. I also couldn't recognize most of the Articles in the sumery. Sorry, I wouldn't count that much on this one.

Robert Wolfe
8th February 2001, 17:19
The utility of the synopsis is certainly compromised by its lack of footnotes or sources. I also have nothing with which to compare this summarized version, so I'd be curious to see examples of instances it differs from the translation you have. I do have editions of Gorin-no-Sho in modern and old-style Japanese, which are very useful in resolving discrepancies in English translations, but I have no references for the Heiho Sanjugokajo.

Just some guy
9th February 2001, 09:37
Mr Wolfe,
I'll give you a few examples when I get the Chance to come back to the Computer. I live in an Apartment and I don't have a computer of my own at the moment so I'm using a computer lab. I don't have the Articles with me at the moment so I don't want to give you any bad information. I can tell you a few things right off the Bat though. First off the Summory say that Musashi calls his school Nito because of its using two swords. This is wrong. Musashi Says he calls his school Nito because of the Tradition of Carrying two swords. He actually says that he has no preferance for the Left hand at all and the actual reason he created his school was to teach one how to use a sword with one hand. He also describes in great detail about why this would be usful so I doubt this is my misunderstanding. As I understand it, Using two swords was a means to develop this skill and not the skill itself. After all, Niten Ichi Ryu only has 5 two sword techniques. The devotion to single sword and Kodachi is much more thorough in my opinion. It even has a stronger Bojutsu skill than double sword.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the summery you have states that there are only 35 articles when the number is actualy 36, thought the title does say it only has 35. Once more, the last article is only a sentance and it's nothing more than him saying that he can't talk about the subject.

That's all I want to say off the toop of my head as I am only completely sure of everything there. I'll write more when I have the articles with me. Hope that helps.
Chris.

Robert Wolfe
9th February 2001, 15:21
Sounds like we should keep beating the bushes for someone with the requisite language skills and background in kenjutsu to publish a thorough translation...

In the meantime, if you feel any inclination to summarize the translation you have, I know a web site that would be happy to publish your notes.

Thanks!

jscotello
9th February 2001, 16:27
It seems as though I've stirred up an interesting topic. If someone does take the iniciative to draft an accurate and authentic translation, please forward a copy to my attention. The second part of my orignal post was for the recommendation of other authentic and historically based literature on swordsmanship - does anyone have any to recommend?

Just some guy
11th February 2001, 10:49
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I keep forgeting about this thread. Works pretty interesting at the moment and I'm having my time split in iinteresting ways.

As for a summery of the Translation, sorry but I don't think that would be in best of respect to Dave (both a friend and Mentor of mine). He put a pretty good amount of work into the translation and I don't want to steal his thunder like that. If you want, I'll ask him about it and get back to you. I can tell you that Daves translation is just wonderful. And Dave is also A kenjutsu student so with his Seven years of living in Japan I think he's the perfect person to translate it.

Robert Wolfe
11th February 2001, 15:17
Under those circumstances, perhaps you should suggest he look into having the translation published properly, perhaps in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. I believe instructions for article submissions are available at the JAMA web site:

http://www.goviamedia.com