PDA

View Full Version : George Anderson 1931-2009

Rob Alvelais
7th August 2009, 07:40
It's with sadness that I inform you that George Anderson of Akron Ohio has passed away. Mr. Anderson was the President of the USAKarate Federation, the former National Governing Body for Karate as recognized by the International Olympic Committee. Mr. Anderson was a past Vice President of WUKO and the WKF as well as the Pan American Karate-do Union and the Panamerican Karate-do Federation. He was a major figure in karate in the USA and most instrumental in getting karate into the PanAmerican Games.

He passed away this afternoon, August 6, 2009

Robert Carver
7th August 2009, 12:24
I learned of George's death last night after class. Great guy and definitely a substantial figure in the US martial arts community. In addition to his Karate activities, he was also the founder of the US Jujitsu Federation. My condolences to his family, friends, students, and all those who were fortunate to have known him personally.

As a point of correction for Rob, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not recognize individual National Governing Bodies (NGB) for any sport, but rather each nation's own Olympic organization. Recognition of NGB for individual sports is the purview of each nation's Olympic organization, the US Olympic Committee in the case of the United States. It was the US Olympic Committee that recognized USAKarate Federation as the National Governing Body for Karate.

Rob Alvelais
7th August 2009, 16:50
As a point of correction for Rob, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not recognize individual National Governing Bodies (NGB) for any sport, but rather each nation's own Olympic organization. Recognition of NGB for individual sports is the purview of each nation's Olympic organization, the US Olympic Committee in the case of the United States. It was the US Olympic Committee that recognized USAKarate Federation as the National Governing Body for Karate.

That is correct.

John Bennett
17th August 2009, 17:22
A life spent as well as his is something we should all work toward.