PDA

View Full Version : Senior British Karateka

Simon Keegan
20th September 2009, 10:15
Ok, just for a bit of fun and historical record, let's draw up a top 50 list of the senior living British Karateka (we'll do American another time!)

Here's a criteria to narrow the field:

1) Must have been born in the UK and still living in the UK
2) Must hold the legitimate grade of at least 7th Dan in Karate
3) Must have been training since before 1965
4) Must still be actively teaching or studying
5) Start day of pror to 1965 must be with a formal Karate dojo not learning from books etc

I'll start off the list witha few that spring to mind, if you want to edit it, copy and paste it into a new message and then the next person can make their edits:

Terry Wingrove 8th Dan
Andy Sherry 8th Dan
Tommy Morris 8th Dan
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
Charles Mack 7th Dan
Michael Randall 8th Dan
Roy Stanhope 8th Dan
John Smith 8th Dan
Bob Poynton 8th Dan

Over to you....

andy.m
20th September 2009, 17:01
Tony Christian, 8th Dan Goju Ryu Karate-do
Forfills all the criteria you require. He is still teaching on a weekly basis. He began in Wado Ryu in 1965, though I don't know who his original teacher was, he later trained under Danny Conner and Shiamitsu. He was 'taken in' for a time by the style of ' Mushindo' and 'Nagaboshi Otomo'(!) it's leader. He began in Goju Kai, when it was introduced in 1970, training and teaching with Gary Spiers. Then in Okinawan Goju Ryu, following its arrival a few years later, with the Rousseau brothers and later the man he acknowleges as his Sensei, Teruo Chinen, 9th Dan (Head of Jundokan International). He is currantly the senior instructor and technical director of the British Karate Association.
Andy

Chucky
20th September 2009, 17:42
Also Peter Spanton 8th Dan of the Higashi Karate Kai (My former Sensei) and David 'Ticky' Donovan, who needs no introduction.

Simon Keegan
20th September 2009, 22:41
Good additions. Peter Spanton and Ticky both started in 65 with Tatsuo Suzuki.

I thought Tony Christian started a little later though, maybe 66? He started Wado with Danny Connor after seeing an exhibition with Kanazawa and Enoeda in St George's Hall, Liverpool. Enoeda only came to reside in November 65. So I'd be surprised if Tony started in 65, but I'll add him to the list.

Actually we can add Peter Consterdine too. He started at the aforementioned Danny Connor's Wado club in 1964.

Here's the list so far then, feel free to ammend....
.......................................................................................

Terry Wingrove (8th Dan Karate Jutsu)
Started: 1957 (previously studied Jujutsu)
First teacher: Vernon Bell (Yoseikan)

Andy Sherry (8th Dan Shotokan)
Started: 1959 (previously studied Jujutsu)
First teacher: Fred Gille (Yoseikan)

Tommy Morris (8th Dan Shukokai)
Started: 1963 (previously studied unarmed combat etc)
First teacher: Henri Plee (Yoseikan)

Terry O'Neill (7th Dan Shotokan)
Started: xxxx
First teacher: Andy Sherry (Yoseikan)

Charles Mack (7th Dan Shotokan)
Started: 1958????
First teacher: Masatoshi Nakayama????

Roy Stanhope (8th Dan Shukokai)
Started: 1962 (previously Judo)
First teacher: Danny Connor????

Michael Randall (8th Dan Shotokan)
Started: 1964
First teacher: Jimmy Neal & Terry Wingrove (Yoseikan)

Peter Consterdine (8th Dan)
Started: 1964
First teacher: Danny Connor (Wado Ryu)

John Smith (8th Dan Bujinkai)
Started: 1965
First teacher: Tatsuo Suzuki???? (Wado Ryu)

Ticky Donovan (8th Dan Ishin Ryu)
First teacher: Tatsuo Suzuki (Wado Ryu)

Peter Spanton (8th Dan Wado Ryu)
First teacher: Tatsuo Suzuki (Wado Ryu)

Bob Poynton (7th Dan Shotokan)
First teacher: Hirokazu Kanazawa (Shotokan)

Tony Christian (8th Dan Goju Ryu)
Started: 1965????
First teacher: Danny Connor? (Wado Ryu)

t.matsutaka
20th September 2009, 22:54
I think the criteria is very constricting, possibly biased and bit of a controversy starter however I know several who qualify and I wonder how they got missed. Let's start with

Stan Knighton - Shukokai
Hamish Adams - Wado

Joseph Svinth
21st September 2009, 03:08
Charles Mack is graded 7-dan by the BJA; his club is the Budokwai. http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/technical/grading_dan_register_display.php?PageNo=1&txtSurname=&grade=7th%20Dan&number=1017

But are you sure he's also graded 7-dan in JKA? http://www.books.co.uk/keinosuke_enoeda_charles_mack_keinosuke_enoada/shotokan_karate_free_fighting_techniques/9781874250067/

Simon Keegan
21st September 2009, 06:52
I think the criteria is very constricting, possibly biased and bit of a controversy starter however I know several who qualify and I wonder how they got missed. Let's start with

Stan Knighton - Shukokai
Hamish Adams - Wado

Hi

It's not biased (if I was to bias the criteria, I would most likely do so to include my own teachers - as it happens all three of my instructors are excluded by this criteria, as am I obviously) and of the men on the list so far I only know one of them and have only met two of the others. It's not a back-slapping list of my buddies.

The criteria is supposed to be constricting - I figured if we included only people who started before 1960 we'd be lucky to get five names, if we included everyone who started before 1975 the numbers would probably run into the thousands. 1965 seems like the cusp of the explosion (there's a mixed metaphor!) in Karate's popularity in the UK.

Pre-1965 keeps the numbers manageable.

More specific to your suggestions, Stan Knighton 9th Dan should definitely be on there. Don't now why I forgot him. He's pretty synonymous with the early days of Shukokai along with Roy Stanhope etc.

I don't know much about Hamish Adams (8th Dan I believe?) but he sounds like another good one for the list. Do you have a start date for him?

My criteria does leave some anomolies. It excludes people like Alfie Lewis - possibly the greatest Karate fighter the country has ever produced but a Lau Gar stylist rather than a Karateka. It also excludes people like Gary Wasniewski ("the world's greatest kicker" apparently) who would seem to hold a tenth dan but I think falls short of the time-served criteria.

Regarding Joseph's point on Charles Mack - perhaps he doesn't hold that grade in Karate.... Perhaps we should relax that criteria?

t.matsutaka
21st September 2009, 15:01
> It excludes people like Alfie Lewis - possibly the greatest Karate fighter the country has ever produced

Brian Fitkin (1965) would disagree! As would Billy Higgins (1965)

Simon Keegan
21st September 2009, 16:18
The list wasn't intended to be exhaustive - we're adding to it as we go along. Re: Alfie vs Billy. I neither know nor care - I was making the point that stylists of other arts (ie Kung Fu) are excluded despite contributions to Karate.

I'll add your suggestions to the list:
.................................................................................................... ....

Terry Wingrove (8th Dan Karate Jutsu)

Andy Sherry (8th Dan Shotokan)

Tommy Morris (8th Dan Shukokai)

Terry O'Neill (7th Dan Shotokan)

Charles Mack (7th Dan???)

Stan Knighton (9th Dan Shukokai)

Hamish Adams (8th Dan Wado Ryu)

Roy Stanhope (8th Dan Shukokai)

Michael Randall (8th Dan Shotokan)

Peter Consterdine (8th Dan)

John Smith (8th Dan Bujinkai)

Ticky Donovan (8th Dan Ishin Ryu)

Peter Spanton (8th Dan Wado Ryu)

Bob Poynton (7th Dan Shotokan)

Tony Christian (8th Dan Goju Ryu)

Billy Higgins (7th Dan Shotokan)

Brian Fitkin (7th Dan Kyokushinkai)

That's 17 by my count.... Keep them coming and let's keep it friendly folks. We're not missing anybody on purpose....

jfkcotter
21st September 2009, 16:46
I think what was meant that adding lines like 'possibly the greatest Karate fighter the country has ever produced' is needlessly inflamatory. If you don't know or care then fine let's keep a NPV (as wiki people say)

Simon Keegan
21st September 2009, 18:16
ok point taken.no disrespect to any other competitors past or present. I'll nvp all the way now. Anymore additions anyone?
I thought maybe john van weenan or ronnie colwell but can't seem to find start dates. Any ideas?

Simon Keegan
21st September 2009, 18:38
ok point taken.no disrespect to any other competitors past or present. I'll nvp all the way now. Anymore additions anyone?
I thought maybe john van weenan or ronnie colwell but can't seem to find start dates. Any ideas?

powerof0ne
27th September 2009, 23:10
> It excludes people like Alfie Lewis - possibly the greatest Karate fighter the country has ever produced

Brian Fitkin (1965) would disagree! As would Billy Higgins (1965)

The stories I have heard of Fitkin are legendary and I have never set foot in the UK.

Michael
28th September 2009, 20:55
Do not forget Shihan Howard Collins 7 Dan Kyokushinkai. Started 1964.

Michael Söderkvist

Simon Keegan
30th September 2009, 07:41
Good addition Michael. It seems Shotokan and Yoseikan is best documented in the UK.

I have to say I know very little about the top men in Kyokushinkai (apart from my pal Trevor Gilbert!)

jfkcotter
30th September 2009, 16:05
Good addition Michael.
Well not so good.....

Your first criteria is

'...and still living in the UK'

Both Brian Fitkin and Howard Collins left the UK a l-o-n-g time ago and now live and teach permanently in Sweden.

Chucky
30th September 2009, 18:28
I have heard that Mr Ticky Donovan has been promoted to 9th Dan by the EKF.

Michael
1st October 2009, 22:59
Well not so good.....

Your first criteria is

'...and still living in the UK'

Both Brian Fitkin and Howard Collins left the UK a l-o-n-g time ago and now live and teach permanently in Sweden.

Well, yes. But they both still have UK-passports. I don't know the value of the list if it is not to show the work in karate from UK citizens. The maker of the list makes the decision, simple. It is nice to mention them anyway, great personalites in the art.

Michael

jfkcotter
1st October 2009, 23:59
Well, yes. But they both still have UK-passports. I don't know the value of the list if it is not to show the work in karate from UK citizens. The maker of the list makes the decision, simple. It is nice to mention them anyway, great personalites in the art.

Michael
Please don't pick on me. I'm not in ANYWAY whatsoever responsible for the selection of who ever is put on this list. Please read the entire thread carefully and then note who made up the criteria and what the criteria are. The first is very clear.

1) Must have been born in the UK and still living in the UK

If Mr. Keegan wants to change it then ok but at the moment 'them's his rules, not mine'

Simon Keegan
2nd October 2009, 14:47
When I came up with that rule I thought at first to just say 'must be born in the UK' so it wouldn't just consist of people like Hirokazu Kanazawa even though he, Enoeda, Suzuki and others have resided in the UK and Enoeda even said he considered himself to be a British citizen.

And then I didn't want to include people who were maybe born in Britain but achieved their success in other countries (I can't think of any off the top of my head)

And I wanted the list of people to be people still alive (so unfortunately no early pioneers such as Vernon Bell and Danny Connor).

I also didn't want to include people who might be a senior grade in one martial art (ie 23rd Dan Bujinkan) but only hold say a 1st Dan in Karate.

I suppose there's no reason to exclude living, British people who are now living in other countries so I guess we'll abandon that rule.

Michael
2nd October 2009, 22:03
A name not to forget for the list is Shihan Jose Claronino (1964) 7 Dan Kyokushinkai.

// Michael

Michael
2nd October 2009, 22:35
About Shihan Claronino. I just remember that spite he started karate in London 1964 he lived in South Africa as a child and could be born there. So keep him out of the list for the moment.

Sorry...

// Michael

GaryWado
4th October 2009, 14:11
Hello,

Philip Kear 7th dan Wado Ryu. Trained with Suzuki since 1965.

Emigrated to Australia in the 70's with his brothers Reg and Robert (both 6th dans) however Reg and Robert started in 66 I believe.

Gary

Reg Kear
22nd November 2009, 10:50
Not quite right Gary but close.

We all. Reg, Ed, Fred Phil and Rob all started in 1965 when Suzuki sensei returned to live in the UK. Prior to this we were all with John Clark a kendo and Judo fella who left to live in Japan. Phil, Robert and myself (Reg) are still with Suzuki but live in Australia. We head up San no Ya an affiliate of WIKF. Phil is 7th Dan and Rob and I are 6th dan, perhaps only because we haven't been for a grading in the last fifteen years or so because it doesn't seem to matter much any more.?

Fred died in 76 and Ed, proving to be the only sane one retired in the late 60s.

If it is still part of the criteria we all have UK passports and were all born in Bristol UK.

Reg Kear
San no Ya. Australia.

GaryWado
4th December 2009, 16:17
Not quite right Gary but close.

We all. Reg, Ed, Fred Phil and Rob all started in 1965 when Suzuki sensei returned to live in the UK. Prior to this we were all with John Clark a kendo and Judo fella who left to live in Japan. Phil, Robert and myself (Reg) are still with Suzuki but live in Australia. We head up San no Ya an affiliate of WIKF. Phil is 7th Dan and Rob and I are 6th dan, perhaps only because we haven't been for a grading in the last fifteen years or so because it doesn't seem to matter much any more.?

Fred died in 76 and Ed, proving to be the only sane one retired in the late 60s.

If it is still part of the criteria we all have UK passports and were all born in Bristol UK.

Reg Kear
San no Ya. Australia.

Hi Reg,

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I don't tend to visit this board too often (or any other at the moment for that matter).

I hope you are well sir.

Sorry I got your start date wrong, I think I can remember you telling me that as well dooh!!

I think you and your brothers should definately be on the list.

Regards

Gary

Reg Kear
4th December 2009, 19:36
Hi Gary,

All the names listed so far were our contemporaries in the UK 1965 melting pot, it was an interesting time with all these guys appearing at Crystal Palace at the same time. We are still in the game but I'm finding the warm up takes a little longer now. Trevor Overfield is another Dojo hound from the same era that is still working on his Seishan.

As long as there is no charge we don't mind being added to the list..!!

Reg Kear.
San no Ya.
Australia.

Simon Keegan
11th July 2010, 11:14
Thanks for all your responses, chaps. I'll try and go through the posts and put them into a single list, when I get chance. Cheers

Reg Kear
11th July 2010, 13:01
Hi Simon,

You might want to include George Grimes on your list He is Wadoryu 7th Dan Kyoshi and with the Academy until recently.

Also update as of 1.11.2009. Phil Kear 8th Dan WIKF Rob Kear 7th Dan WIKF, Reg Kear 7th Dan WIKF..

Regards

Reg Kear

Simon Keegan
15th October 2010, 09:14
Ok so here's the list so far, if anyone can fill in any blanks please copy, paste and ammend:

9th Dans:
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan
Stan Knighton 9th Dan

8th Dans:
Terry Wingrove 8th Dan (1957)
Andy Sherry 8th Dan (1959)
Tommy Morris 8th Dan (1963)
Michael Randall 8th Dan (1964)
Peter Consterdine 8th Dan (1964)
Roy Stanhope 8th Dan (1965)
John Smith (Bujinkai) 8th Dan (1965)
Peter Spanton 8th Dan (1965)
Bob Poynton 8th Dan (1965)
Ticky Donovan 8th Dan (1965)
Tony Christian 8th Dan (1965)
Hamish Adams 8th Dan
Philip Kear 8th dan (1965)
John Van Weenan 8th Dan

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Charles Mack 7th Dan (1958)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
Billy Higgins 7th Dan (1965)
Brian Fitkin 7th Dan (1965)
Howard Collins 7th Dan (1964)
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

powerof0ne
7th November 2010, 05:18
If the criteria is changed to allow people that aren't even teaching in England anymore then you should allow those that came from other countries that have been teaching since 1965.

People Like Steve Arneil (9th Dan) of the IFK.

As the first person to do the 100 man kumite minus Sosai Oyama himself I think it would be a great mistake not to include him since the original poster has played with the criteria.

Simon Keegan
8th November 2010, 21:29
Ok I'll go with that...Seems fair logic.

9th Dans:
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan
Stan Knighton 9th Dan
Steve Arneil 9th Dan (1961)

8th Dans:
Bob Poynton 8th Dan (1965)
Ticky Donovan 8th Dan (1965)
Hamish Adams 8th Dan
John Van Weenan 8th Dan

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

wreddock
9th November 2010, 01:06
hmmm..No doubt Bob Poynton will be very pleased to hear of his promotion to 8th dan. When was he promoted and does Andy Sherry know about it?

lancepjones
9th November 2010, 01:14
Before I get corrected. I dont know if he started pre 1965, but as you mention Kyokushin, what about Steve Arneil, 7th Dan as far as I remember.

Simon Keegan
9th November 2010, 14:47
hmmm..No doubt Bob Poynton will be very pleased to hear of his promotion to 8th dan. When was he promoted and does Andy Sherry know about it?

Everyone makes mistakes

Simon Keegan
9th November 2010, 14:49
Before I get corrected. I dont know if he started pre 1965, but as you mention Kyokushin, what about Steve Arneil, 7th Dan as far as I remember.

Wikipedia says 1961

Simon Keegan
9th November 2010, 14:52
Revised list. Ticky Donovan moved up, Bob Poynton moved down.
once again, if anyone has any amends, please copy, paste and amend the list.

9th Dans:
Ticky Donovan 9th Dan (1965)
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan
Stan Knighton 9th Dan

8th Dans:
Hamish Adams 8th Dan
John Van Weenan 8th Dan

7th Dans:
Bob Poynton 7th Dan (1965)
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Chucky
16th November 2010, 16:17
One more came to mind today- Eddie Daniels of Shukokai.

The following is from his SKF website:
'Shihan Eddie Daniels started training Karate in 1965 and was a member of the All-styles British Squad from 1970 to 1975.

In 1968 having trained in first Shotokan then Wado Ryu, Shihan Daniels changed style to Shukokai and trained under Master Kimura until Master Kimura's untimely death in 1995.'

Edit;

I then came across this gentleman, Charles Gidley from the Shotokan karate Kyogi:
'Charles Gidley sensei, 7th Dan, started karate training in karate in 1963, becoming an active and founding member of the Karate Union of Great Britain under Enoeda sensei, where he stayed for 22 years.'

Simon Keegan
17th November 2010, 10:38
Cheers Graham, those are great additions.

What about Nick Smith (Wado Ryu, Burnham on Sea) - any idea if he should be on the list?

All the best
Simon

Simon Keegan
17th November 2010, 10:42
9th Dans:
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan
Stan Knighton 9th Dan

8th Dans:
Eddie Daniels 8th Dan (1965)
Hamish Adams 8th Dan
John Van Weenan 8th Dan

7th Dans:
Charles Gidley 7th Dan (1963)
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Chucky
17th November 2010, 18:46
Nick Smith?

How do you know of Smithy?

Just curious as he is my longest friend in Karate. (Nearly 30 years).

I'm afraid he started in March 1974, so won't make the list.

Simon Keegan
18th November 2010, 09:14
my first karate teacher steve bullough is from lancashire but he used to stay with his grandparents in burnham for the summer. I think he trained with nick smith i would imagine about 1981. I'm not sure how long for, not very long i would imagine. His main teachers were in wigan but he's mentioned nick smith to me. My criteria is a bit frustrating, i admit. My two main teachers bob carruthers 7th dan and reiner parsons 6th dan don't make the list because they've trained since 1972 and 1974 respectively. but i needed some criteria to keep the hanshi bungas off the list!

Chucky
20th November 2010, 16:23
my first karate teacher steve bullough is from lancashire but he used to stay with his grandparents in burnham for the summer. I think he trained with nick smith i would imagine about 1981. I'm not sure how long for, not very long i would imagine. His main teachers were in wigan but he's mentioned nick smith to me.

Simon:

I'll ask Nick tomorrow as I'm at his Dojo.
What a small world!
Nick's website (http://www.bhkc.org.uk/)

My criteria is a bit frustrating, i admit. My two main teachers bob carruthers 7th dan and reiner parsons 6th dan don't make the list because they've trained since 1972 and 1974 respectively. but i needed some criteria to keep the hanshi bungas off the list!

Then you should have said anyone who started before 1984:laugh:

Best wishes
Chucky

Simon Keegan
21st November 2010, 11:01
Graham
Sent you a private message
cheers

Simon Keegan
3rd February 2011, 11:47
If anyone has any started-training dates for the ones I haven't got, please fill in the blanks.

9th Dans:
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan
Stan Knighton 9th Dan

8th Dans:
John Van Weenan 8th Dan (1963)
Hamish Adams 8th Dan

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Simon Keegan
18th April 2011, 08:16
If anyone has any started-training dates for the ones I haven't got, please fill in the blanks.

9th Dans:
Terry Wingrove 9th Dan (1957)
Michael Randall 9th Dan (1964)
Stan Knighton 9th Dan (1965?)
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan (?)

8th Dans:
Hamish Adams 8th Dan (?)

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

dusty1
19th April 2011, 12:46
Bob Lawrence 10th Dan?? founder of Fudoshin
Died in 2003
Tought by Gogen Yamaguchi and Mr Nakayama.

My Dad trained under him in the early 70s

Simon Keegan
24th April 2011, 15:27
Hi Pete
I'm only listing those who are still living, hence no Bob Lawrence, no Vernon Bell etc

Garrylewis
2nd May 2011, 19:05
Hi Simon?

Just a small alteration to your list.

Roy Stanhope 9th Dan (Awarded this year), and he began training in Karate in 1962.

Regards,
Garry Lewis 4th Dan Shukokai

Chucky
19th June 2011, 16:49
Simon-

Peter Consterdine promoted to 9th Dan.

Simon Keegan
23rd June 2011, 16:02
9th Dans:
Roy Stanhope 9th Dan (1962)
Peter Consterdine 9th Dan (1964)

8th Dans:
Hamish Adams 8th Dan (?)

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
George Grimes 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Chucky
6th September 2011, 20:41
One person omitted from the list is the legendary Ray Fuller of Thames Karate International, although I have found out that he sadly passed away last May.
It's a shame we missed him on the list, not too sure of his history but I know it went back a long way.

A loss to the UK Karate world.

powerof0ne
8th September 2011, 00:56
Hanshi Arneil is now promoted to judan, and one of the few times in my life time that somebody whom I strongly feel is deserving is promoted to such a rank. Hanshi Arneil was the first individual to do the hyakunin (100 man) kumite after Sosai Oyama, himself.
http://www.ifkkyokushin.com/news-hanshi-steve-arneils-10th-dan-promotion.html
Osu!

Chucky
26th October 2011, 21:32
Simon:

George Grimes Kyoshi has recently been promoted to 8th Dan by the EKF.
IMO a more than justified award to one of the first generation Wadoka in the UK.

Chucky.

Simon Keegan
31st October 2011, 15:08
Thanks guys, here's the list then:

9th/10th Dans:
Steve Arneil 10th Dan (1961)

8th Dans:
Hamish Adams 8th Dan (?)
George Grimes 8th Dan

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Garrylewis
1st November 2011, 10:41
Hi Simon,

Please find following missing date/clarification for Stan Knighton (Coloured Red), i believe George Grimes (1966) should be removed from the list as he does not meet the initial criteria (I.E. Must have been training since before 1965 - this would also mean that anyone who began training in 1965 should also be removed - please advise):

9th/10th Dans:
Stan Knighton 9th Dan (1964)

8th Dans:
Hamish Adams 8th Dan (?)
[COLOR="royalblue"]George Grimes 8th Dan (1966)

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Info gathered from :
Stan Knighton - http://www.karatesheffield.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:sensiknighton&catid=38:information&Itemid=13
George Grimes - http://www.japanartscentre.co.uk/karate_interviews.html

Best regards,

Garry

Simon Keegan
11th November 2011, 08:17
Thanks Garry, here's the updated list. I'm leaving 1965s on there. I also think Andy Sherry's start date for Karate should be 1960 not 1959 since this was when Fred Gille opened the Liverpool Karate Dojo. 1959 may be his start date for Jujutsu. Incidentally I have asked R Colwell for his Karate start date but received no quantifiable answer.

9th/10th Dans:

8th Dans:
Andy Sherry 8th Dan (1960)
Hamish Adams 8th Dan (?)

7th Dans:
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan

Simon Keegan
24th August 2012, 17:45
9th/10th Dans:
Ronnie Colwell 9th Dan (1953)

8th Dans:
Andy Sherry 8th Dan (1960)
Hamish Adams 8th Dan (1965?)

7th Dans:
Terry O'Neill 7th Dan (1962?)
Cyril Cummins 7th Dan (1964?)
Rob Kear 7th dan (1965)
Reg Kear 7th dan (1965)

Chucky
8th April 2013, 09:15
Andy Sherry promoted to 9th Dan a couple of weeks ago.

Chucky
9th October 2013, 11:41
Also Terry O'Neil & Bob Poynton recently promoted to 8th Dan.

DenCQB
23rd March 2017, 17:04
Ronnie Colwell started training in Karate in the 1970s, before that he was in Ju Jutsu. I remember when he went to Malaysia to train with Budokan, who had broken away from their Japanese teachers and formed their own World body. Ronny, who went over as a Ju-jutsu instructor, returned as a Karate 3rd Dan. If I recall correctly, he formed an association with Frank Vernon, a genuine KUGB instructor.