PDA

View Full Version : shinai leather?

DDATFUS
23rd September 2009, 02:02
Hi all,

I'm trying to reproduce the type of fukuro shinai traditionally used by my sword style and I've run into a bit of a problem. I need to make a leather sleeve to cover the blade but I'm not exactly sure what type of leather I need for that, and since there are no leather craft stores in my hometown I can't just walk in with my fukuro shinai and say "give me a yard of leather just like this." Does anyone have a rough idea of the type of leather that is usually used for making shinai parts such as tsuka and sakigawa so that I can use that as a guideline when ordering leather online?

best,

Brian Owens
24th September 2009, 06:35
Unless I'm mistaken, grain-split suede of deer skin was originally used. A modern substitute that may be available in your area or by mail-order would be Nubuck.

DDATFUS
24th September 2009, 20:49
Thanks, Brian. So is it grain-split suede of dear leather or nubuck that I see in a modern shinai handle?

Ken-Hawaii
25th September 2009, 05:30
The leather may cost "dearly," but it's deer leather.

Another source is http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/choosecountry/choosecountry.aspx. They sell raw leather very inexpensively, & I've used it for many projects.

Brian Owens
25th September 2009, 08:14
Thanks, Brian. So is it grain-split suede of dear leather or nubuck that I see in a modern shinai handle?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I looks like nubuck to me, but it could be some other suede or suede-like skin that's treated in some way that gives a similar appearance.

Peter Bolan or another bogu importer might know; I'll see what I can find out.

DDATFUS
25th September 2009, 13:23
The leather may cost "dearly," but it's deer leather.
Oops. Thanks for the website, though. That looks helpful.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I looks like nubuck to me, but it could be some other suede or suede-like skin that's treated in some way that gives a similar appearance.

Peter Bolan or another bogu importer might know; I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks much, Brian.