PDA

View Full Version : Senior Canadian Karateka

PictonMA
28th September 2009, 16:29
The thread on the Senior British Karateka got me to thinking and I figured why not start a comprable list for Canada.

Using the same criteria to narrow the field:

1) Must have been born in Canada and still living in Canada
2) Must hold the legitimate grade of at least 7th Dan in Karate
3) Must have been training since before 1965
4) Must still be actively teaching or studying
5) Start day of pror to 1965 must be with a formal Karate dojo not learning from books etc

What I came up with this morning:

Masami Tsuruoka 10th Dan (1945, Chito Ryu, Shotokan)
Fern Cleroux 8th Dan (1957, Chito Ryu)
Monty Guest 8th Dan (1961, Chito Ryu)
Shane Higashi 8th Dan (1961, Chito Ryu)
Bill Hind 8th Dan (1961?, Goju Ryu)
J Purdy 7th Dan (1962, Goju Ryu)
Ron Yamanaka, 8th Dan (1962 Goju-Ryu / Kempo)
Rick Joslin 8th Dan (1963?, Wado Ryu)
Hal Henschel Shihan title, no idea on rank (1963, Chito Ryu)
Jerry Marr 7th Dan (1964, Shotokan)
Ken Tallack, 8th Dan (1964 Goju-Ryu / Kempo)
Cezar Borkowski 9th Dan (1964?)
Wally Slocki (1965, Chito Ryu / Slocki-Ryu)
Ted Martin (1965, Chito Ryu)

Garry Legacy 10th Dan (Chito Ryu / Shorin Ryu) - need a start date

Karate Freak
22nd February 2010, 20:04
Vern Tilley, 8th Dan (Shorin Ryu/Shogen Ryu, i think start date 1964)

Shogen
29th March 2010, 03:26
The thread on the Senior British Karateka got me to thinking and I figured why not start a comprable list for Canada.

5) Start day of pror to 1965 must be with a formal Karate dojo not learning from books etc

What do you consider 'Legitimate'? I would say a traceable lineage that does not involve self promotions, promotions by one's students or Sokeship Councils. If that is the case, I think a couple on the list would not be included.

Tony

Simon Keegan
3rd April 2010, 23:27
That was what I had in mind when I wrote the original criteria, Tony. No Sokeship council awards.

kensei
30th September 2013, 14:26

Some of these people are not legit ranking, Jerry Marr is only a 6th Dan JKA, but was given a ITKF 7th. their are many more 6th Dans that are legit than higher in Shotokan. Saeki Sensei in Ottawa is a JKA Legit 7th that has testing rights for Yudansha in canada up to Sandan, one of the only two. The other being Gilina in Quebec. Lots of Changes in Shotokan in Canada over the last four years and many of the old 5th Dans are not not JKA and suddenly 7th Dan and up. Hard list to put together if you have different ideas on what Legit means!

gendzwil
30th September 2013, 18:01
Thread is over 3 years stale. Plus, JKA is not the only legit Shotokan federation.

kensei
30th September 2013, 18:45
Hey, Im a bit behind! LOL.....

jpaul
24th February 2014, 03:15
Kensei
First to correct Sensei Jerry Marr began his training with the ITKF and tested for his belts under Sensei Nishiyama and Sensei Nakayama. He was always involved with the ITKF since he started. In fact his Sensei Fusaro has always been ITKF to this day. So how could he have gotten his belt when he joined the ITKF as he was a member in the beginning? We all know Sensei Nishiyama and Nakayama were founding members of the JKA. In fact the first time Sensei Nakayama came to canada was a seminar of Sensei Marr's.Sensei Marr later left the ITKF but still has strong ties with that organization and has been asked to return. He now has ties with many organizations including the JKS. The history of Sensei Marr and Karate in Canada is written on his website Midwest Karate Winnipeg. There is a lot of history with the martial arts and the JKA in Canada. The people you have mentioned should get respect even if you have not trained with them and the history should be looked up before comments are made. I do thank the original writer of this for including Sensei Marr in this as he was one of the founders in Canada and is not recognized as much as he should be as probably many others again good choices. Thank you.

jpaul
24th February 2014, 06:49
Sensei Marr as far as I have read did not receive his 7th dan from ITKF. He left long before that. Also Sensei Nishiyama was offered to go back to head the JKA and did not. I think it is right to say there are a lot of legitimate organizations out there today showing dif aspects of Shotokan. The JKA was a beginning. Most are still tied to the jka though.

jpaul
3rd March 2014, 05:36
So read my comment above and it did not come out the way I wanted it to be understood. So what I meant to say was the Sensei Marr was with the JKA all along and with the ITKF after its start. He did not receive as far as I know his 7th from the ITKF. If you want to know more go to Midwest Karate Winnipeg History of Sensei Marr or go to JKA International of Canada. Thank you again.