PDA

View Full Version : Deadly weapon register?

DasaMan
5th October 2009, 06:05
Hi, my name is Dimas Aryo Sasongko. I am an on/off student of wado ryu karatejutsu in Indonesia.

In Indonesia, there seems to be understanding that black belts in japan are required to register as deadly weapon. My understanding is that this practice is only limited during budo ban, not continued until today. But some insist that this is the case.

Since I don't have any direct contact in Japan, can anyone verify this?

thank you.

Dimas Aryo Sasongko

DasaMan
8th October 2009, 08:38
Hi again. Sorry for bumping the thread.

So no one can verify or deny this deadly weapon register when one achieve yudansha status in Japan for certain?

thank you.

Dimas Aryo Sasongko

Lance Gatling
8th October 2009, 11:05
It is not true.

epramberg
22nd October 2009, 14:10
Hi, my name is Dimas Aryo Sasongko. I am an on/off student of wado ryu karatejutsu in Indonesia.

In Indonesia, there seems to be understanding that black belts in japan are required to register as deadly weapon. My understanding is that this practice is only limited during budo ban, not continued until today. But some insist that this is the case.

Since I don't have any direct contact in Japan, can anyone verify this?

thank you.

Dimas Aryo Sasongko

That is a rumor that someone started so that they could sound cool.

kenkyusha
26th October 2009, 23:42
black belts in japan are required to register as deadly weapon.
While not true, I can't help but find the thought of a spindly 17 year-old sandan in Go having to register rather pleasing in a perverse way...:laugh:

Be well,
Jigme

Black and Blue
30th October 2009, 04:59
Although you do not have to register, if you are a martial artist and you get in a fight you better be able to show good reason or your black belt will be used against you in court.

Phil Scudieri

Hissho
30th October 2009, 16:04
Phil is correct.

In a previous life, I worked plainclothes hotel security. We had occasion once to ask a group of professionals to leave a bar at one of our hotels due to their increasingly drunken and belligerent behavior. Things devolved, and the asking to leave turned into detaining for police (the wisdom of which was later re-evaluated), which turned into a knock-down brawl, with one of the party in particular.

This man was taken into custody and then transferred to police custody. He walked out of the place just fine, but sued the hotel later for irreparably damaging his knee, if I recall claiming we kicked him repeatedly in the leg, which never actually happened.

It went to civil court, and got basically a 50-50 decision, I think because discretion being the better part of valor we should have just let him leave when he (finally) was going to, rather than change and now hold him for police.

One thing was very clear, when the plaintiff learned that I was a martial arts practitioner he did attempt to make an issue of it. Thankfully I did mostly CMA at the time, and had not yet received rank in BJJ, so the "deadly black belt" did not cause a problem since I wasn't one.

Our Courts are far more about appearances, conjecture, and theories catering to "12 licensed drivers who get their idea of violence from TV," in other words juries, as well as the attorneys, "court certified experts," and judges who are typically equally clueless about real violence, though they pursue cases and make decisions based on their own theories and conjecture. I like to say that along with the martial arts, the legal system is one of the few venues in real life at which you can be an "expert" in something you have never actually done (dealt with serious physical violence).

Plaintiffs will attempt to use anything they can to cast you as a threat to society. You are either a martial artist/black belt who used his deadly skills to exact revenge, or as a martial artist/black belt "you should have known better" and been able to control your deadliness with "that Zen stuff" to avoid causing injury.

Be prepared for it. Act reasonably and in light of the circumstances as you perceive them and your black belt will not be an issue.