PDA

View Full Version : Tips on self-defense

Vilhjalmr
21st October 2009, 21:43
Specifically, I'm thinking of tips that seem counter-intuitive or little-known among "regular" people. Everyone knows not to have their back to an entrance; but in another thread on this forum, I read that a member doesn't park near the entrance of a corner store but makes sure that he is required to walk to it. This is exactly the opposite of what I'd assume is safe practice: I'd think you would want to spend as little time outside your vehicle as possible.

Any other little tidbits like this that you may have learned in your experience as a law enforcement officer, or just as a general self-defense nut, are appreciated. I often wonder what common knowledge I am missing just from being a civilian (and relatively uneducated in self-defense at that).

I think some of the most important things I've ever learned, I've learned from talking with police officers who have practical experience; things like avoiding "fringe areas", running toward other people, de-escalation, etc. These are things I don't think I would have ever really thought of on my own.

Hope this forum still gets some traffic. :)

Bob Blackburn
22nd October 2009, 14:47
Walk down the middle of a parking lot. Especially in the dark. The further a perp has to come out into the open the less likely they will pick you as a target.

I think your example has a similar principle. Corner houses have a higher burglary rate because of ease of escape. If you park in the middle of the block, there is a higher potential of witnesses.

Hissho
28th October 2009, 18:21
Bob's advice is sound. Having distance allows you a better all around view, as well as time to assess threat potential. Doing that, plus obviously being aware will generally rule you out as a victim as you would not be easy to catch unawares. Think of them as predators, the sooner you see them and the more space you have to react the better.

I was taught as a newbie to never pull a marked patrol vehicle directly up to the front doors or windows of a "stop and rob" even if I just wanted to run in and grab a coke. Park further away in the lot and observe for a moment before walking in. More than one officer and citizen has walked in on a robbery in progress that would have been visible, or where there would have been something appearing odd, looking in from outside.

Vehicles are tough because it may be totally based on circumstances whether you want to be in or out. As well, your response may need to be altered if you have a small child strapped into a car seat inside.

Martyn van Halm
12th November 2009, 14:44
Always walk around your car and look into the back seat before you unlock your doors and get in.

Check door hinges to see whether a door you're approaching toward you or away from you.

Keep your keys in your hand but in your pocket when you approach your car or house, wait until taking them out until you've assured yourself there is no ambush waiting.

Shindai
21st November 2009, 15:04
Nothing to offer to the thread I'm afraid, but wanted to ask if you don't mind, Martyn, why keep your hand in your pocket? I would have thought having keys in your hand out of your pocket would make it easier to defend yourself, should somebody attack you. If you're holding keys they could catch on the inside of your pocket or something. Or do you mean to hold the keys in a way you could attack with them, so as to hide them from a potential attacker?

Just after some clarification and then will go away again :)

Dan

bu-kusa
25th November 2009, 15:11
I know its not quite what you were looking for but I recently came accross the following quote and it reflected my own experieneces,

Cagewarriors bantam weight champion Paul McVeigh -

"Don't be an @@@@hole, don't hang around with @@@@holes and don't stand outside kebab shops at 3am"

pgsmith
25th November 2009, 17:38
Become a dog lover and keep a mid to large size dog in your house. In my past life on the bad side of town, I was told flat out (by ummm .... "experts" in the business :) ) that burglars and home invasion robbers will avoid a house with a dog more than they would a house with a security system.