PDA

View Full Version : slow draw in iaido? I don't think so.....

Goon Jhuen Weng
12th February 2001, 08:04
During the seitei iai seminar I attended about 2 and a half weeks ago, one Japanese 7th Dan sensei was explaining Soetetsuki to us. He gathered us closely around him and in less time it took for me to blink my eyes, he had drawn the first cut in the kata to show us how nukitsuke should be done. It was astonishingly fast and smooth and I though to myself after that...gee, if I was his target, I'll be dead before I even knew what hit me. Let's keep in mind that the sensei was probably about 70 years old as well. So, apparently, it seems that not all iaido (seitei) practitioners take 10,001 years to do nukitsuke after all. Still, the sensei was emphasizing the Jo, Ha, Kyu way of training and I guess this guy must be wayyyy beyond kyu level of practise alright....:cool:

Nicki Gerstner
12th February 2001, 18:09
Hello,

quite a time ago I have seen a video tape featuring several japanese practitioners of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. On this tape you could see every thinkable nuance of speed of the nukitsuke, from "I have all time in the world" to "already done". I think generally in Iaido it depends on one´s teacher how fast one makes nukitsuke and not that much on the style you practise.
All the best,