PDA

View Full Version : Judo Knees or age thing?

DustyMars
31st October 2009, 22:12
Well gang, I am in the forth week recovering from bilateral total knee replacement and have sidelined the walker for some unsteady but manageable walking. No uchikomi yet but headed that way. Yes, it hurt but after nearly a decade of painful knees and really bad pain the past few years I can now stand on painless knees. Sometimes I blame Judo for the knees but it was really old Mr arthritis that did it.

Will try to think of stuff to post but am a little off key now. Take care.

Old Judo Bum before knee job :cool:

Old Judo Bum with therapist and cut knees :D

Judokax8
1st November 2009, 00:02
Getting old can suck, but when you think of the alternative ....

My knees sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies some days.

Peace

Dennis

Robert Carver
1st November 2009, 13:12
Jeff,

I had a total hip replacement ~5 years ago (at age 43) and know how it is to put up with the pain for a long period of time (I was diagnosed about 4 years earlier). Getting the replacement done was the best decision I have ever made although it will certainly limit activity somewhat. Just to not be in pain was such a major relief and certainly had a big impact on my demeanor. So congrats on making the leap and best wishes for a speedy recovery. The best bit of advice I can give you was what my doctor (and probably yours) gave me; take your pain meds and work like a demon on the physical therapy. While I didn't like staying on the pain meds any longer, doing so during my recovery allowed me to work that much harder during my PT and has ultimately made a gigantic difference.

As far as blaming Judo... probably guilty along with other martial arts and a very physically active lifestyle. The rest of my joints are pretty banged up too and I've had a number of repairs to them. All part of years of use and abuse, but ultimately I would not change a thing. :)

Again, best of luck on your recovery and a speedy return to the tatami!

DustyMars
1st November 2009, 16:21
Judo, per say, is not to blame for my bad knees as it was some foolish stuff like duck walks, deep knee bends and other dumb things; super extending the knees, that is more to blame. In all the years of practicing Judo the only injuries I sustained was a few broken toes and some strained muscles. Unless they hid it from me none of my students in 30 years of teaching injured themselves to any extent more than minor bruises or muscles strains.

I was to have the surgery 3 years ago but my wife came down with illness and she took priority. Yeah, old fashion I be and now that the new metal knees are in place I am blessed with pain free walking. Arthritis is the blame as my saw-bones demonstrated to me in the X-rays where the spurs looked more like sharks teeth that bone fragments.;) I am sure my hips took a beating from all the weird walking habits and the 50 years of ukemi, but they seem to function okay. I'm still a youngster at 69, so the hip will have to wait :laugh:

Jitsumania
8th November 2009, 21:13
I had to do the left hip first 2 yrs ago before I get to the right shoulder (soon) then the right knee again! That metal hip sure does work good though. Genetic arthritis I believe contributed just as much as the Jujitsu and Judo. Its hard getting old (52) practicing various MA's since I was 10. 22 year old mind in a 52y/o body:cry:. Have moved alot more into my Aikido practice and teaching in order to preserve my body a little more.

Chuck.Gordon
12th November 2009, 15:15
Growing old ain't for wimps.

Hang in there, take it slow, and keep moving.

I had total hip replacement in summer of '07 (complicated that autumn by onset of a rare form of arthritis and the next January by a detached retina repair ... sheesh), and am only just now sort of getting back on my feet, mat-wise.

DustyMars
12th November 2009, 15:23
My therapist took my cane away so now it's walking the walk :) Some balance problems but it's getting better. I may never practice Judo again, but maybe I can teach it. Hum, that's a new concept! :D

Hopefully next week when I see the knee doc he'll allow me to take Mortin again. Arthritis didn't go away.

The only thing about getting older is that we learn to cope with it and go on. :cry:

myk hendrix
15th November 2009, 06:11
Sensei Beish,

All the best in your recovery from downunder New Zealand.

Regards,

DustyMars
18th November 2009, 19:12
Thanks man from Downunder. I am now walking without any canes and stuff, but the knees are stiff and the rest of my legs hurt. They say that is normal! Hum, they hurt before the operation! Oh well, things are looking up. I see the doctor in the morning and will continue with the therapy even if I the doctor releases me to the pasture. The health center has nice equipment and it is nice to feel human after a workout. I wonder if Judo may be in order some day? Oh well, probably not.

PictonMA
19th November 2009, 14:37
Beish Sensei,

As a bit of encouragement - a 73 year old Ju Jutsu sensei I know had both knees replaced last year, took him a while to recover but this year at a Black belt grading and symposium we had he got on the matts and was throwing some of the young guys around again....

Listen to your doctors and therapists and who knows....

Chuck Clark
19th November 2009, 15:39
Jeff, many people have gone through similar replacement surgery and are doing judo at a 'MEANINGFUL" level. You probably won't believe that right now, until you're doing it. I've been through it with knee surgery in 1971 & 2002 and am really looking forward to a total hip replacement in a few months and I guarantee you that I'll still be doing something "juicy" and valuable to my juniors. Have courage and faith in yourself... and listen to your therapists, and do the work.

DustyMars
19th November 2009, 18:31
My Orthopedic doctor will see me in four months and has released me from having more therapy. I am recovered enough to begin a normal life as long as I continue to lose weight and exercise my legs so to being myself to full recovery. However, I am joining the local rehab/health center (CORA) and will workout there until I am satisfied with my progress. That will help me lose weight too and continue to strengthen my legs. I can even do my hot tub!!!!! And take Motrin!!!!!

Yea, I am almost a real guy now :)

Chuck Clark
24th November 2009, 00:00
Great news Jeff! Take care. :)