PDA

View Full Version : Training

Preston Broesche
14th February 2001, 03:57
Greetings!

Quick question from a novice. (If it has already been answered before...my apologies). I live in Houston, Tx and I am currently looking forsome type of sword art training. I have visited Darrell Craig's dojo and was impressed, however almost all of his katas begin in seiza. I have some prior injuries that prevent the constant up and down movements. I am wondering if anyone knows of another dojo in houston that does not require this. (Sorry if it sounds a little whiney..it is with good reason) Thanks in advance for any help.

Preston Broesche

szczepan
14th February 2001, 11:26
Meditation with sword?

Preston Broesche
14th February 2001, 21:02
What I guess I was looking for was...do all iado techniques begin in seiza? Or are their forms that don't, and if so are their any instructors in the Houston area? Thanks.

Preston

FastEd
14th February 2001, 23:54
Originally posted by Preston Broesche
What I guess I was looking for was...do all iado techniques begin in seiza? Or are their forms that don't, and if so are their any instructors in the Houston area? Thanks.

Preston

Just do them standing...! I don't see why anyone would have a problem with you doing Iai from a standing position instead of from seiza. The techniques can be easily modified. If your potential instructor has a problem with you doing them from a standing position after hearing your reasons, then you better look else where for good instruction.

ScottUK
15th February 2001, 00:14
Agreed - Iaido can be practiced using standing techniques without much hassle (it's a shame, 'cos you're missing out on some amesome kata!) - we have a couple of guys who cannot manage seiza and have to do the forms from a standing position.

Fairly related, I remember hearing of someone who overbalanced while going into sonkyo and breaking his wrist on the floor. While not a pleasant experience, every time I think of this makes me wish I could have saw it.

Anyone else got any 'You've Been Framed' moments they could share with us? - while it's not nice to laugh at others' misfortunes, I think airing them for entertainment purposes is the best way to get over them.

Scott

Preston Broesche
15th February 2001, 04:20
Thanks to all for your quick replys. I would love to be able to do them from a standing position, but the class I sat in on did not seem to accomodate that. According to what little research I have been able to do the Houston Budokan is the only dojo in town (Houston) the teaches Iaido, if any of you guys with networks know of any other dojos in the vicinity could you let me know? Thanks again.

Preston

JohnRay
15th February 2001, 04:35
Dear Mr. Broesche,
Please contact Ms. Emily Egan who is a student of mine practicing Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaido in Friendswood.
Her e-mail is: eegan@dobharchu.org
We do practice forms from seiza, but I know Emily has at least one member of her group with knee problems, whom she accomodates by only practicing standing forms while he is attending.
Good luck.
Sincerely,
John Ray

mkadlc
15th February 2001, 06:13
To those that know,

In regards to this thread, I am asking a question about training as well. I am new to the traditional Japanese sword arts, (beyond what swordmanship is taught in aikido) and am looking for a koryu or other sword style that has been established by those who have been granted respect for their skill (ie. Shinkendo by Obata Toshishiro).

I reside in the DC area.

Thank you

Matthew Anglin

john mark
15th February 2001, 11:47
I think Rick Polland teaches Muso Shinden Ryu Iai in Severna Park, Maryland. Can't find his email address, but he can be reached at swordstore.com.

good luck

ScottUK
15th February 2001, 21:16
Preston,

Go back to the club you visited and explain your problem. As I mentioned, we have guys whose knees are buggered, so they practice a standing variant of the seated forms, apparently a commonly done thing. Just check whether this is acceptable at the dojo you are considering.

Scott

Preston Broesche
16th February 2001, 04:23
Thanks for all the replys. In response to ScottUK and and JohnRay, I will get in touch with both. I have called the dojo that i visited before and basically got the response this is the way it is done.(from seiza). however I will give it another shot. JohnRay I will send your student an email first thing in the morning. I appreciate your efforts.

Preston Broesche