PDA

View Full Version : Research

Daniel M. Page, D.C.
14th February 2001, 23:21
Bob,

I really like http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, which is the National Library of Medicine's website. I noticed you listed a few references about manipulation in a recent post.

While doing further investigation, I found that you may be misinformed on the study regarding tension headache. Here is a more recent article from the same authors:
------------------------------------------------------------
Ugeskr Laeger 2000 Jan 10;162(2):174-7 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Therapeutic manipulation of episodic tension type headache. A randomized, controlled clinical trial.

Grunnet-Nilsson N, Bove G

Institut for Idraet og Biomekanik, Syddansk Universitet, Odense. n.nilsson@imbmed.ou.dk

In a randomized controlled clinical trial, 75 subjects fulfilling the IHS criteria for episodic tension-type headache were treated for four weeks. One group received spinal manipulation plus soft tissue therapy in the neck, the other received soft tissue therapy plus low-power laser therapy to the same region. In the three month follow-up period both groups showed significant improvement, but there were no differences between the groups. Thus, spinal manipulation had no effect on episodic tension-type headache, in contrast to the significant effect of spinal manipulation which has previously been demonstrated in cases of cervicogenic headache. These two headaches should therefore be diagnostically differentiated in the future.
------------------------------------------------------------
Notice 2 things. First, the abstract states that manipulation has been found to have a "significant effect" in cases of cervicogenic headache. Secondly, this study states that both the soft tissue/manipulation group and soft tissue/laser therapy group showed "significant improvement". In other words, soft tissue therapy is effective for tension headache. This study does demonstrate that manipulation has no added effect to soft tissue therapy for this condition. However, I would like to see a study that compares joint manipulation/laser therapy with soft tissue therapy/laser therapy. It would be interesting. Another point I want to address is that many DC's use soft tissue therapy in their practices along with manipulation. Therefore, DC's (and any other health care provider) who utilize soft tissue therapy in their practices may have significant success with patients who suffer from tension headache.

Please let me know your thoughts....I'm interested.

Sincerely,
Daniel M. Page, DC
Barrow, Alaska

Daniel M. Page, D.C.
14th February 2001, 23:32
I'm sorry, the correct website address for the research site I referred to in my last post is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Literature/index.html

Through PubMed, anyone can access MEDLINE's 10,000,000 biomedical journal citations to research biomedical questions.

One interesting note - during my searches, JMPT (Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics) came up many times. It is among those journals included in MEDLINE.

Take care,
Daniel M. Page, DC

Daniel M. Page, D.C.
19th February 2001, 18:04
It looks like I've missed the boat on the debate regarding chiropractic education. I would have liked to have been there....I think Bob S. and I would have had a more sophisticated debate than occurred with the other chiropractic advocates. However, this seems to be a dead topic now, so if no one responds in this thread, I'll let it go.

I'm glad I stumbled across the website, I enjoy reading the posts.

Sincerely,
Daniel M. Page, DC