PDA

View Full Version : How do you take your coffee??

Steve Williams
14th February 2001, 22:40
We all know that coffee is a great 'pick me up', but I don't think I will be rushing out to buy this one http://www.thecoffeecritic.com/fusion3/html/kopi.shtml

Who here is man (or woman) enough to try it?

Neil Yamamoto
14th February 2001, 22:58
I'll try it but I ain't gonna pay $175 per pound for the smegging stuff. I'd rather drink cold curry sauce in the morning at that price.

john mark
14th February 2001, 23:49
Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto
I'll try it but I ain't gonna pay $175 per pound for the smegging stuff. I'd rather drink cold curry sauce in the morning at that price.

Wow, not the expected response from a Seattle resident!

I thought you guys were all coffee addicts.

Best,

Neil Yamamoto
15th February 2001, 00:11
No, not really, Seattle was the birth place of grunge so we are really all heroin addicts. The coffee is just to keep us awake so we don't get fired from our jobs so we can keep paying for the heroin. Kidding, I hope you all realize.

jk
15th February 2001, 05:49
Hello all,

Actually, I've tried it. Was at a coffee roasting seminar in Burlingame, CA a couple years ago. Tastes like a typical coffee from Indonesia: earthy, full body, yadda, yadda...but nothing that I would call special. But then, what the hell do I know...I don't do coffee for a living (yet).

I would think that a good portion of the beans ingested by said luwak would be of the robusta variety, since that's about 90% of Indonesia's crop. Robusta is cheaper to grow, and is usually the choice of most smallholdings. Robusta does not have a good reputation, taste-wise, and in general is inferior to arabica.

Frankly, it would be WAY too easy for a supplier of green coffee beans to come up with something they call "kopi luak." How are you going to check? Especially with the Indonesian economy in the doldrums...

As an aside, I heard a rumor that some coffee growers in Vietnam were vetting the notion of feeding coffee cherries to monkeys, and collecting the proceeds. Yum.

Cheers,
John Kuo

Joseph Svinth
15th February 2001, 06:02
To make real Seattle coffee, put a gallon of water in the percolator. Add 1-lb MJB and a dash of salt. Percolate.

If too weak, reduce water or add more coffee.