PDA

View Full Version : Near Dover, Delaware

Chuck.Gordon
14th December 2009, 16:54
A student of a student (grandstudent?) has moved back to the States from Germany and is settling in near Dover, Delaware.

Anyone know of a good iaido, kenjutsu, jodo or other good budo group in the near?

Thx,

cg

Victor Smith
16th December 2009, 15:15
Reese Rigby Sensei has an Isshinryu school in Dover Deleware and has been teaching in that area for about 40 years. I recommend he check with Rigby Sensei as to which other arts may be in the area, he would have the greatest knowledge as to what other arts are present.

Good Luck.

Kendoguy9
16th December 2009, 16:43
Dover is about a 2 hour drive from Rockville, MD where David Hall teaches Shindo Muso-ryu jojutsu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu and Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu. Some of us (I think about 4 or 5) drive about an hour to an hour and a half to get to training one way. One student drives about two and a half to three hours each way twice a week for training. Its far but well worth it.

Chuck.Gordon
17th December 2009, 20:00
Victor - I'll pass the info along to Jason. Thx!

Chris - I'm acquainted with David (an old student of mine is now in the group), and have intended to visit since I've been back in the US (but you know about good intentions ...). I hadn't thought of him for Jason, but will pass it along.

Jason's actually in Seaford, south of Dover ...

Thx all!

cg

Victor Smith
17th December 2009, 22:33
Hi again Chuck,

There used to be an Isshinryu program in Seaford too (all from Tom Lewis IKC back in the 60's onward). But it's been 30 years since I've thought of it.

Off hand I recall there was a Shorinji Ryu instructor in that area too.

Still if he's around Dover, Reese Rigby would be a good source of what's around.

Good Luck

musa
22nd February 2010, 06:35
Chuck,

I apologize on responding to an old post but felt the need to give yet another suggestion.

If you do not mind traveling a couple hours to the south, I highly recommend you contact Rick Polland Sensei of the Beikoku Rembukan Dojo right outside Annapolis, Maryland. You can get more information regarding the dojo at http://www.jodo.com or by PM'ing Dr. Jerry O'Brien, a long time student of Rick Polland, via PM (his e-budo member page is here (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/member.php?u=441)).

Chuck.Gordon
22nd February 2010, 15:50
Musa,

Thanks. Jason's still getting settled in, starting new job, etc. We haven't even gotten together yet ...

I'll pass along the Polland suggestion, though. Thx!

cg

Black and Blue
23rd February 2010, 23:43
Check out www.DelawareBudokan.net
We are located 30 miles south of Seaford.

Phil Scudieri

Chuck.Gordon
24th February 2010, 15:38
Phil,

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it along to Jason!

cg