PDA

View Full Version : Knees

luar
15th February 2001, 16:04
I was hospitalized over the Christmas holidays with a severe bronchial infection. I only started going back to training last week.

During my absence, I noticed that knees were feeling incredibly weak. Last week, I did my best to warmup and not to exter myself but in a cat stance, my rear knee was constantly shaking under my weight.

Since then I have very carefully done knee exercises such as knee bends but I am really concern about this.

Anyone have any suggestions on proper execises? I plan to see a doctor sometime next week.

Daniel Pokorny
15th February 2001, 19:33
Originally posted by luar
I was hospitalized over the Christmas holidays with a severe bronchial infection. I only started going back to training last week.

During my absence, I noticed that knees were feeling incredibly weak. Last week, I did my best to warmup and not to exter myself but in a cat stance, my rear knee was constantly shaking under my weight.

Since then I have very carefully done knee exercises such as knee bends but I am really concern about this.

Anyone have any suggestions on proper execises? I plan to see a doctor sometime next week.

Luar,

I've done a lot of power lifting which of course includes the squat and deadlift. Needless to say, the knees are REALLY important when you're lifting heavy weight. I trained with a guy in Nebraska that was on the university lifting team and he had some really great exercises for building strong knees.

To build strength in my knees/legs he had me doing a lot of stair climbing and lunges (start feet together, step forward with right foot, lower yourself until left knee touches the ground and stand back up, repeat with other side). DO NOT PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON THE KNEE THATS DOWN! First try without any weights and very slow then as things progress hold dumbbell weights in each hand. Vary weight and distance you step out with progress. Lunges can also be done with a regular straight bar and weights by laying it across your shoulders. While doing lunges keep you head tilted slightly back (looking up) to insure you're lifting with your legs and not your back. Posture is VERY important because you want to isolate the knee/thigh muscles. Also a combo of leg extensions/curls are great if you have access to the equipment.

I hope this helps.....

Dan P. - Mongo