PDA

View Full Version : if the shoe fits

Russell McCartney
15th February 2001, 17:59
Mike Skoss and Guy - So this is what forums are about? You both must be singing in your soup. I am inadequate I suppose. I couldn't have taken someones comments more completely out of context if I tried. Yet that is not what we nor the people we associate with do. You have worked hard and sacrificed alot for your knowlege in the arts to reduce your contributions to this, humm. I never asked for your stamp of approval because your reputation preceeded you. There are many with greater and more numerous achievements than I. Your over annalysis and exageration of them is see for what it is, a dark fuel of your fires. I forgive you for not having the ability to read what virtuous intentions there are in what we are involved with. But your processes are of course all knowing and all virtue,...again 'humm'. We are teaching people tradition with sword as the vehicle, not your definition of koryu tradition, yet the fact remains there are 'good people' involved making forward progress as human beings.

Guy - I never expected anyone to accept anything I've said. That is why there are others involved to make the 'majority rules'. When people buy into their fear it controls them. By controling your fear you could position yourself to in a way to orchestrate a productive future for the inevitable growth of this art form. Acting as a link (as your teacher did) to help direct the new generation of sword people would be the greatest tribute you could make to him.

I have stated clearly that I never claimed IYR as a Japanese art. That I am an "American teaching Americans" . It is generic at best by your standards and yes we know 'not worthy' either.

Guy - You comment in an email to me still puzzles me when you said you "would leave the future of sword tournaments here in the capable hands of Bob Elder and you (RM)". If you didn't mean it why say it? One then has to wonder of all the other statements you've made what is your real feeling and what is not?

ghp
16th February 2001, 03:09
Russell,

Guy - You comment in an email to me still puzzles me when you said you "would leave the future of sword tournaments here in the capable hands of Bob Elder and you (RM)". If you didn't mean it why say it? One then has to wonder of all the other statements you've made what is your real feeling and what is not?

Yup, that's what I said, and that's what I mean. Allow me to clarify:

1. I don't want to be involved in hosting/organizing taikai. I have absolutely no spare time -- for the past 4 years I've been working the equivalent of 8 days per week: 40 hrs for the government job, and 24 hrs for part time work. I finished graduate school, so 64 hours almost seems light to me. On top of all this great Silicon Valley lifestyle, I get about 5 hours sleep nightly (8 on Saturday if I'm lucky). Once in a great while I push aside valuable family time and teach seminars; but, I sure can't spare the time to organize a taikai.

2. There are people who are skilled at running taikai; to these people, I leave the future of sword tournaments. You are one of the people who desires to pick up the mantle and organize taikai. You've done some, and they've been successful events from what I hear. Therefor, "I leave the future of sword tournaments in your [and Bob's] capable hands."

Cheers,
Guy

Robert Reinberger
16th February 2001, 07:09
Mr. McCartney,

I don't know you or your level of knowledge, experience and skills, and, of course, you can do what you want. I do not want to offend you, but I have a question about something I can't understand: if you felt the need to create something of your own, but you say:

Originally posted by Russell McCartney

I have stated clearly that I never claimed IYR as a Japanese art.
why is it, that you use the term "Ryu" (and "Soke", if I haven't missinterpreted some of the recent posts), when these terms have such specific meanings in Japanese arts, that go beyond their literal translations and need an enviroment that you can not (and do not claim to) provide?

Why didn't you call it IY-KAI for example, lead by a "Kaicho"?

a.) it is still a Japanese designation, that show where the roots of your art may lie.

b.) this terms are not uncommon in Japanese martial arts.

c.) this terms, as far as I understand it, can be used in several connections more freely, and are better suited to be used in the meaning of their literal translations.

d.) therefore, the usage of this terms may not cause the same amount of bad feelings (of misrepresentation) in people that study "(authentic) Japanese" Ryu-ha.

Of course, there are also other (still Japanese) words that could be used that way, and I'm not sure if the usage of any of them would help to avoid the excitement at all. But I'm sure that it would be more approriate to use them, at least.

What do you think?

Regards,
Robert

[Edited by Robert Reinberger on 02-16-2001 at 01:13 AM]

Russell McCartney
16th February 2001, 20:39
Guy,
Thanks for your honesty. If your schedule changes and time allows, you may discover 'pleasant' surprises about the people and processes of the NABA.
Till then, adieu.
Russell McCartney - IYR