PDA

View Full Version : senbongiri - and Guy Power

Russell McCartney
15th February 2001, 17:20
Senbongiri was in response to a formal challenge (another guy you don't like) by the previous record holder in the only way acceptable in the world we live in today. Lets stop and think for a moment though, where did the idea originally come from? Not from an attempt for a publicity stunt as you would have others believe. It was in fact Nakamura sensei who gave rise to the idea of multiple cuts as demonstrated in the documentary film 'Budo' shot in Japan in the '70's if I'm not mistaken. In this clip from that film it shows Nakamura sensei and the then head of one Toyama faction running through a field cutting multiple targets of wada rice straw. This excercise is in the form of an expanded set of a formal excercise from Nakamura ryu cutting forms where he draws cuts and notos several times on multiple targets.
Thanks Guy,
Russell

Nathan Scott
15th February 2001, 18:11
Mr. McCartney,

I was wondering if you would mind clarifying some things in your post - I'm not really sure what your saying.

It sounds like your saying that Mr. Saruta, I would assume after your relationship ended, issued a "formal challenge" to you of some kind. Do you mean he actually challenged you to taryu jiai or shinken shobu and you responded by besting him in the from of competition (senbongiri in this case) instead? What was the nature of this challenge, and when you say formal, do you mean it was written or issued publicly?

If you could elaborate a bit, I'm sure many of us would appreciate it (and save incorrect assumptions based on what you wrote).

BTW, I'm not sure renzoku giri can be accurately compared to cutting a thousand times and submitting it to the guinness book of world records. I for one consider the cutting of multiple targets while moving to be a necessary training experience as opposed to a "competition". I think some would equate this kind of thing to comparing who can break the most boards, or the most sheets of ice.

But I'll let Guy-san respond on behalf of his own teacher (since the thread was addressed to him anyway!).

Sorry to butt in - thanks for your reply,

ghp
15th February 2001, 19:32
Russell,

You are completely missing the point -- as Nathan politely pointed out. Renzoku giri was a part of army training -- just as our soldiers "run" through bayonet courses. It had a practical purpose.

If you don't understand the difference at this point, perhaps you will later as you continue your studies. Please don't try to rationalize your actions by comparing yourself to master teachers like Nakamura sensei; you are unaware of the picture you are painting of yourself. You are not at their level, and neither am I.

Regards,
Guy

Russell McCartney
15th February 2001, 19:36
Nathan,
Thankyou for your polite inquiry. Mr. Sarutas challenge was stated at public gathering in Seattle aprox. five days after he set the initial record. His statement was a verbal one that I should try and that he encouraged many/any one to try. Sorry, a written challenge would have been much more romantic but I don't believe he thought I nor anyone else, had the slightest chance of doing it. Thusly he felt free to spread the comment around freely.(Being new to this forum I am a bit taken aback by the gramatical hair splitting of statements, my error). It was after the fact, a year or more, when it came to fruition as an event. In the time since his comment I did remove IYR from association with the RSK org. As I have stated in my review, it was an incredible learning experience for me. One that I was compelled to write about (although incompletely). I am still processing the experience as I suppose I will be for some time to come. Senbongiri carries its own unique lessons which took a heavy toll in the learning.
Russell McCartney - IYR

P.S.
I, like G. Power, lost a detailed post last night concerning kabutowari, which in part was directed to you. I'll attempt to restate it on the other thread.
thanks,
RM

Russell McCartney
15th February 2001, 20:56
GHP,
You're stuck sport. As usual you are the only one who attempts to draw a comparison. Get the chip off your shoulder Guy. What I did was what it was and nothing more. But since you brought it up, of course it was a training excercise for the army and the special forces group which used it in battle. It was extremely effective inside fifty yards or so. I can imagine it would be pretty tough for them trying to sight down on people running at troops screaming war cries with a three foot blade in their hand.
You're wrapped alittle too tight, check your bloodpressure breath deep and relax.
RM/IYR

Nathan Scott
15th February 2001, 21:18
BTW, has anyone seen Gordon Smith lately? ;)

This forum has gotten pretty busy in the last few months and could probably use some inspirational words from this sections CEO from time to time....

IF

You know what I mean.

HitokiriBattousai
15th February 2001, 22:43
I've been keeping up with this topic for the past few days and I must say it's most interesting to hear from IYR's founder his reasons for establishing his own style. I also must say it has been very refreshing to hear Mr. Scott's and Mr. Power's clear opinions in this matter, but it seems people are just twisting it around. I may only be a person looking from the outside in, but I can see how immature it is when Mr. McCartney starts telling Mr. Power to relax. How is that of any relevance to the topic at hand? I'm not being biased here, but I have been reading about IYR's history and Mr. Scott's past comments on the organization and it, to me, seems premature for Mr. McCartney to establish his own style, as many of the other respected swordsmen have stated. I look forward to see Mr. McCartney's future replies. It's nice to see something "going somewhere" here finally ;)

Nathan Scott
15th February 2001, 22:56
I also must say it has been very refreshing to hear Mr. Scott's and Mr. Power's clear opinions in this matter...

That's funny - here I thought I was being rather elusive about my opinion!

;)

Welcome to the forum though.

Gordon Smith
19th February 2001, 19:02
Ah, the CEO is lurking in the background, ever watching, ever waiting.

Actually, I've been hip-deep in a new job, new wife, and everything else. Alas, as a result, my training has suffered. I practice what I have been shown, but without regular trips to my betters for correction and edification, my form is slipping. Add to that my continued feelings of "newbie" (at that tender age of 4-15, depending on which ryu we're talking), and so I've been doing _lots_ more listening than talking.

My apologies if I seem to be too distant. I've been trying to nudge things in a private manner, as opposed to a public one.

As for the discussion, I have quite a deep respect of Guy's opinions regarding swordsmanship. He seems quite knowledgable and open. Russell I have seen here and elsewhere, and continues to be very forthright in his opinions and from what I have seen (or to be more honest glanced over to make sure forum fires don't get too out of hand here and abroad), seems quite willing to continue a frank and honest conversation.

In general, things get a bit heated from time to time as we staunchly defend what we "know" to be right and valid. The nice thing about this forum seems to be that we've got a natural governing device that seems to keep things pretty much intact. My thanks to all those who have stepped in where necessary; as I can only spare time to check in once or twice a week, problems that come up are pretty much resolved by the time I become aware of them.

Gambatte kudasai - I continue to learn from all of you.

-G-