PDA

View Full Version : Iaido in Massachusetts?

Harlan
1st February 2010, 02:46
Hi all.

I'm looking for MSR, or other iaido/kenjutsu in Massachusetts. Would anyone know if there are any legitimate teachers in MA? I guess it would be too much to hope for a contact in Western Mass.?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

N. Wakoluk

Eric Spinelli
1st February 2010, 08:08
I recommend contacting Thomas Hooper of the Sei-Zen Kendo Kai in Amherst. His contact info is publicly available here (http://www.kenzendojo.org/Ken-Zen5.html). He teaches kendo, ZKNR Seitei Iai, and Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu under Oshita Masakazu.

BJohnson
1st February 2010, 12:21
Hi all.

I'm looking for MSR, or other iaido/kenjutsu in Massachusetts. Would anyone know if there are any legitimate teachers in MA? I guess it would be too much to hope for a contact in Western Mass.?

It's certainly not too much to ask.

Both of these do Muso Shinden-ryu in the North American San Shin Kai:

Daniel W. Gobillot
Matsubakan Iaido
221 Pine Street,
Florence MA 01062
(413) 863-9888

Marion M. Taylor
South Amherst San Shin Kai
P. O. Box 2083
Amherst, MA 01004-2083
(413) 559-5729

There's also someone in Worcester but as I don't see his info on the San Shin Kai website I'm not putting that up.

I've also heard very good things about Hooper Sensei and have met him briefly once. MJER isn't all that different.

There are also a couple of non-affliated Mitsuzuka-line MSr folks in the Springfield area, but I can't really recommend them. I'm aware of no one else in the western half of the state.

-Beth

Harlan
1st February 2010, 13:00
Thank you! I will follow up on the contacts.

N. Wakoluk

dengle
2nd February 2010, 04:31
I was going to recommend Dan Gobillot. My teacher went to Japan with him on a trip to train with Mitsuzuka Sensei. San Shin Kai is an excellent organization.

Harlan
2nd February 2010, 14:00
Thank you. I will contact him. (I did check out the website, noted that the late Mr. Sylvain was a member of that group, and am definitely interested.)

Brian Dunham
2nd February 2010, 21:08
Dan Gobillot is a good friend of mine and a super guy. Marion Taylor is also good.

Paul Sylvain was the senior instructor of the NA San Shin Kai until his death in 1996.

Good luck, and tell us how it turns out.