PDA

View Full Version : Samurai sword dad free after intruder ear slice

Shudo
11th February 2010, 10:06
Maybe there is hope in the UK Justice system for self defense yet.

David Fullard was cleared of unlawful wounding despite leaving Michael Severs’ ear hanging from the side of his head.

Mr Fullard lashed out after Severs and a friend barged into his home and threatened to rape his wife, Susan Neal, kill his two children and burn down his house. Prosecutors claimed his actions were 'over the top' but the jury took just 50 minutes to clear him.

Samurai sword
The 46-year-old said: ‘I don’t relish what I did but I had to defend Sue and the kids.’

Severs, 22, and Michael Smith, 19, had been drinking vodka and smoking cannabis when they forced their way into Mr Fullard’s home in the East Yorkshire village of Wold View.

At first, they demanded £5 they claimed they were owed by Mr Fullard’s son.

Severs, who was said to have been armed with a spade and a knuckle duster, and Smith then demanded money from his wife. Mrs Neal, 53, told Hull Crown Court: ‘I thought he was going to hit me. They threatened to rape me, burn the house down, kill the kids and kill Dave.’

Her husband picked up the 200-year-old ornamental Samurai sword but said he only intended to use the flat side of the blade.

His barrister, Mark Bury, said if he was guilty ‘we may as well pack our bags and turn the lights out and leave the darkness to the criminals’.

Severs and Smith were yesterday given six-month suspended jail sentences and told to do 100 hours of community work.

The case comes weeks after Buckinghamshire businessman Munir Hussain was jailed for attacking a burglar with a baseball bat. He was given a suspended sentence after an appeal.

Picture of ear here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7207005/Father-cleared-after-chopping-off-intruders-ear-with-Samurai-sword.html

I would be interested to know a bit more about that 200 year old ornamental sword!
Sean Halpin

derobec
11th February 2010, 13:18
Just a pity he 'missed'. I don't care what anyone says, if someone goes out of their way to attack you, your partner and family then they should be prepared to 'take a bit' as well.

Although what a suspended sentence and community service is going to teach them I don't know. Why aren't they in prison -oh, I know, they're subject to the British farce which is known as our Legal System.

Regards,
William

bu-kusa
12th February 2010, 00:23
Prosecutors claimed his actions were 'over the top' but the jury took just 50 minutes to clear him.

Im glad he was cleared, but can't belive it took 50 minutes of deliberation to do so. Im hoping the room was a 24 minute journey away from the court.

Prince Loeffler
12th February 2010, 03:54
Is it safe to say that the intruder sure got an earful ? :D

Steve Delaney
12th February 2010, 11:46
'ear 'ear!

Eric Winters
12th February 2010, 15:41
What is it with western countries and self defense laws? I have not heard of the outrageous stuff that happens to victims in the UK happen in the US but it seems like we are not far behind. IMO if I don't know you and you are in my home, you loose all rights to protection and I get to shoot your ass! I guess it is probably a good thing nobody has invaded my home, otherwise I could be in a 9 month legal battle to explain why I shot an intruder in my home. :(

Best,

Eric Winters

Josh Reyer
12th February 2010, 16:54
Eric, California has a castle law, so you're good to go if someone invades your home.

poryu
12th February 2010, 18:11
I think if we are in our own homes and we have someone come in whom we have not invited in and they threaten you with violence then we should all have the right to not only defend ourselves but use any force to get them out.

If someone comes into my home threatens to rape my wife and kill my family they had better be prepared to fight because they are as good as dead when they say that.

Anyone who says different should sit back and consider their defense of the criminals because I know when a burglar kills their kids or wife they will want the death penalty brought back.

My house not theirs and its about time the law protected us not them.

Eric Winters
25th February 2010, 19:26
Eric, California has a castle law, so you're good to go if someone invades your home.

Sweet! I will brake out my Uzi and leave my doors unlocked.:laugh:

Thanks for the info Josh.

Eric Wiinters

kenbu
5th March 2010, 20:24
It;s good to see someone is teaching the two idiots the finer points of the Japanese sword

arnuld
11th March 2010, 09:25
I think if we are in our own homes and we have someone come in whom we have not invited in and they threaten you with violence then we should all have the right to not only defend ourselves but use any force to get them out.

If someone comes into my home threatens to rape my wife and kill my family they had better be prepared to fight because they are as good as dead when they say that.

Anyone who says different should sit back and consider their defense of the criminals because I know when a burglar kills their kids or wife they will want the death penalty brought back.

My house not theirs and its about time the law protected us not them.

Great reasoning poryu :smilejapa

.... thats the way every honest family man needs to think and do. BTW, I am glad they cleared the guy.