PDA

View Full Version : Danzan Ryu Tessen

PghRonin
18th February 2001, 02:36
Can anyone tell me about Danzan Ryu's Tessen Waza?

Neil Hawkins
21st February 2001, 11:52
Sorry, I have not seen any Tessen waza from Danzan Ryu, in fact I didn't know they had it in their curriculm. Have you tried contacting George Arrington (http://www.danzan.com/HTML/PEOPLE/garrington.html)? I have found him very approachable.

Eric Sterner is a member here and he practices DZR he may be able to tell you something.

Regards

Neil

ericDZR
21st February 2001, 21:53
Funny you should ask that, I just had a tessen class with Mr. Arrington at the Ohana this past saturday. First off I just want to say that I've only been studying DZR for a little over a year and a half so my knowledge is fairly limited right now, and fan arts aren't really taught in detail until later on. From what I've seen/learned so far we've got about 6-7 basic arts all preformed with a closed tessen. They're fairly simple but I believe they're designed to teach certain principles beyond the basic application. Our yawara techniques can be preformed with a tessen as well, in place of a yawara stick. Mr Arrington knows quite a bit about this subject and could probably give you a better understanding. Hope this helps-e

Brian Griffin
24th February 2001, 05:51
Originally posted by ericDZR
Funny you should ask that, I just had a tessen class with Mr. Arrington at the Ohana this past saturday.
Sounds like a few of us were there! I was the bearded guy that got to be George's uke for several of the demonstrations.
(Thanks for going easy on me George!)

Weapons training is introduced at the chuden level of Danzan-ryu,
within a technical curriculum known as Kiai no Maki.
This is a group of 27 techniques, subdivided as follows:

Firstly, 4 techniques for developing kiai -- then
Tessen no Maki -- 6 techniques for iron fan
Tanto no Maki -- 4 techniques for knife
Daito no Maki -- 3 techniques for sword
Bo no Maki -- 7 techniques for staff (6-ft & 3-ft)
Tanju no Maki -- 3 techniques for pistol
(Some traditions also include:
Hanbo no Maki -- 6 techniques for 3-ft staff)

Some techniques teach the use of a weapon; others teach defense against a weapon. Each teaches a combative principle or strategy, that can be generalized into any number of variations.

The six techniques of Tessen no Maki are:
Katate Hazushi
Mune Dori
Miken Wari
Uchikomi Dome
Katate Ori
Katsura Wari

PghRonin
25th February 2001, 23:06
Are these six Tessen techniques performed with a folded or closed fan? Are these six the only techniques taught or are there more techniques taught later on? What type of Tessen is used in practice?

ericDZR
25th February 2001, 23:39
From what i've seen so far all of the techniques are preformed with a closed fan. Anything resembeling that shape is sufficient including a wooden tanto or tessen. There are non-opening practice tessen avalible on the internet as well.

Hey Brian, did you have a good time at the Ohana? It's nice not having to leave the island to attend these seminars for a change. BTW i was the shot bald guy with the goatee.

Aloha-e

Brian Griffin
26th February 2001, 00:16
for Mr. Thornton:
My own experience is limited, but I'll try to answer as best I can
Originally posted by PghRonin
Are these six Tessen techniques performed with a folded or closed fan?A solid or closed tessen is probably best, but certain variations (henka) can employ an open tessen.
Are these six the only techniques taught or are there more techniques taught later on?These are the only six named in the mokuroku, but each is a source of many and varied applications and variants, as I indicated earlier:
Originally posted by Brian Griffin
Each teaches a combative principle or strategy, that can be generalized into any number of variations.
What type of Tessen is used in practice? Most of us try to avoid the folding "Kung-Fu" fans, if that's what you mean ;)
Some use commercially-available solid- or folding-tessen, others use wooden or metal substitutes. Some make their own tessen.

for Mr. Sterner:
Ohana was a blast, as always. Regrettably, I wasn't able to attend all of the activities, due to other commitments. It was nice to be able to catch up with some old friends, though.

Brian Griffin
26th February 2001, 00:25
for Mr. Thornton:
My own experience is limited, but I'll try to answer as best I can
Originally posted by PghRonin
Are these six Tessen techniques performed with a folded or closed fan?A solid or closed tessen is probably best, but certain variations (henka) can employ an open tessen.
Are these six the only techniques taught or are there more techniques taught later on?These are the only six named in the mokuroku, but each is a source of many and varied applications and variants, as I indicated earlier:
Originally posted by Brian Griffin
Each teaches a combative principle or strategy, that can be generalized into any number of variations.
What type of Tessen is used in practice? Most of us try to avoid the folding "Kung-Fu" fans, if that's what you mean ;)
Some use commercially-available solid- or folding-tessen, others use wooden or metal substitutes. Some make their own tessen.

for Mr. Sterner:
Ohana was a blast, as always. Regrettably, I wasn't able to attend all of the activities, due to other commitments. It was nice to be able to catch up with some old friends, though.

danzanryu
28th February 2001, 15:46
I won't repeat Brian's very concise description of the Tessen arts in DZR except to say that the iron fan was basically used in two ways. First, it could be used to constrict a part of the body, such as the wrist or neck. The somewhat rectangular shape made it exceedingly painful when doing this. Second, the Tessen was a good impact weapon using both the front of the fan as well as the pommel.

As for the Ohana, I had a wonderful time and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone there. I hope everyone had a good time as well. The rest of the week wasn't so bad, either! ;-)