PDA

View Full Version : Is Shorinji Kempo still a Spiritual Path?

Lucy Jones
24th February 2010, 12:58
I first joined up a long time ago (when Sensei Chris Lloyd was wearing a green belt!) My reason for joining was that I had heard that there was a Zen Buddhist martial art being taught at St Catherine's College Oxford. I was very interested in Zen, and not so interested in punching or kicking. However I joined up because I thought it would be interesting to see how studying a martial art could help in my spiritual development.

I wasn't disappointed, I could see immediately how during training sessions one had to be completely mindful and in the present moment. That in itself is very valuable for personal and spiritual development. In time I could see deeper benefits in terms of self confidence, building positive relationships with other kenshi and a sense that it was worth trying to be the best that one could be in order to benefit others. Also it made a very pleasant change from sitting in Zazen for long periods facing the wall and I learnt to appreciate punching and kicking too!

We all know that it was Kaiso's intention to develop the quality of individuals through the teaching of Kongo Zen. So, my question is - 'Is Shorinji Kempo still viewed as a spiritual path by the people who practice it?'

Do we (in the West) have the capacity to continue to teach and learn as Kaiso intended or are we only interested in learning techniques and moving up the grades?

And then if we are interested in learning and perpetuating the spiritual aspects of SK, do we have enough understanding of Kongo Zen to be able to pass this knowledge to kenshi who are learning SK now. I am not talking about simplistic 'coffee table Buddhism' being shared in class - a few quotes about Bodhidharma or listing the four noble truths. I am talking about people who follow the eightfold path and their day to day actions demonstrate their understanding of the importance of that.

Just in case some are not familiar with this I shall list the eight aspects the path: - right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration.

Recent events in the UK have led me to be very concerned about this. For me the spiritual aspects of SK are immensely important. I wonder if they have got lost somewhere in a clash of cultures and a lack of openness to learn?

I am not proselytising, I don't think that everyone should have to be a Buddhist, but in order to study SK fully surely one should be taught by someone who has a respect and appreciation of the spiritual aspects of the art?

John Ryan
24th February 2010, 14:18
Interesting question. Of whom are you asking it? For example - I would think relatively few people who have joined in the last decade have viewed it as a spiritual path, probably because it is not advertised as such. Did people have different aspirations/expectations when joining many year ago?

With the removal of Kongo Zen from the syllabus, there's not much that's explicitly spiritual in the WSKO curriculum any more, unless you train at a doin...

I suppose it all depends on what one thinks of as spiritual. Definitions include:
1) relating to the intangible
2) relating to the soul
3) relating to God/deity
4) relating to a religion
5) relating to the supernatural

I'm guessing you mean spiritual as in "pertaining to a philosophical personal belief system which guides one's actions". I don't think SK has stopped being that. Versus the above, 1) wouldn't make sense; 2) is approximately my guessed interpretation; 3) is clearly nothing to do with SK; 4) only applies in doins; 5) is the realm of Dirk :D

Apologies for the rambling posts today, but it's more interesting to think about these questions than to get into an uninformed public argument on one or other side of WSKO vs BSKF...

Lucy Jones
24th February 2010, 14:51
I would say that 'spiritual' is something that is relevant to 'the spirit' as in 'body, mind and spirit' so I reckon your points 1 and 2 would be the closest to what I mean. Buddhism is of course atheistic so not your point 3 and I would say that Buddhism is technically not a religion since it does not concern itself with the cause, nature and purpose of the Universe so we have to discount your point 4. It would be an amazing selling point if we could claim 5 too, but alas not.

So if Shorinji Kempo helps to develop one's personal belief systems which guide one's actions then one can only do this by learning from the example of one's senseis or by studying the philosophy of SK regularly.

Learning philosophy is more than just learning the headings. It is wrestling with different concepts and trying to understand how they relate to our daily challenges in life. For example a well known Buddhist teaching is that 'My enemy is my greatest teacher'. In theory we should be grateful for adverse circumstances because they strengthen our resolve to develop spiritually. If someone disagrees with our point of view or is aggressive towards us, we should see it as an opportunity to learn.

So I am genuinely puzzled as to where all of this has gone within Shorinji Kempo. It seems that some people who practice don't view the philosophy as a tangible thread running through their lives. It is not for me to judge from the outside because each person's spiritual development is very personal to them, but I do wonder whether it is something for the dojo which is left there until the next training session?

When I joined I understood that SK was very different from many other martial arts because of its strong spiritual emphasis. I was very attracted to the balance that this would seem to develop in kenshi - ie 'body, mind and spirit'.

I felt that long hours of sitting in Zazen were not particularly good for the body. I thought that pumping iron or hours of swimming training was not particularly stimulating to the mind. Shorinji Kempo presented the perfect balance.

I would like to feel that this is still the case. I really hope that it is still the case, but things evolve and change with time and maybe I am out of touch.

dirk.bruere
24th February 2010, 15:34
SK today is not what I joined 30 years ago, hence I am (finally) leaving.
Of course, if you are *really* interested you can learn to read write and speak Japanese, go to Japan and study KZ at a Doin. Someone once gave me that response as an answer when I posed a question very similar to yours.

My response is that if I have to go to those lengths to follow an intellectual spiritual path (a bit of an oxymoron where Zen is concerned...) I might as well go the whole hog and investigate (and synthesize) a far wider range of options. Which is what I have done, and why I see no more benefit in continuing with SK when I could follow other paths more usefully.

So, if you like the techniques, and climbing the greasy WSKO pole, continue with SK. Just learn to (as was said in another post IIRC) "suck it up and move on". However for me, after 30 years, a new variation on uchi-uke zuki isn't what it once was in terms of interest or usefulness.

sean dixie
24th February 2010, 23:07
Hi Lucy,
Your at Poole Dojo, this was the first place I learnt Shorinji Kempo under Sensei Gary and Judith in Poole sports centre. You bring up a couple of points that I'll try to answer from myself as a kenshi and branch master. Also as someone in the thick of the recient problems you alude too.

My first session at the dojo was an amazing experience! I phoned up and asked if a friend and I could come and watch the class. Sensei Judith explained that I was welcome too but this particular evening was the club randori session so not really training as such. Having watched and joined in several other arts I was keen. I saw people fighting very hard and there was also some blood to be seen. For me I saw some extreme fighting that night but what struck me as different from the other styles I'd watched was the camraderie and enjoyment and shear lack of ego. I was hooked.

Over the next year or so I trained hard but to be honest I can't remember a single howa! Senseis Gary and Judith left for Australia (I witnessed my first Kempo politics) and we had Lee Sibley from Bournemouth over to teach. He helped me alot at the time and I owe him a deep dept of gratitude, I still often think of his kindness, although I still remember no howa!

I mention these things because although I can't remember any specific Howa, the philosophy ran through the people who taught me Shorinji Kempo. Kongo Zen runs through Shorinji Kempo, through it's teachers whether they like it or not!

For me Kongo Zen has had an amazing influence on my life, yet I still don't really understand it ;) It sa me through depression and has given me strenght and courage whenever I have needed it (including these current circumstances)

Keep training, understanding will keep the techniques fresh and if your in London on a Saturday head West to South Kensington and come train with Imperial (please bring a smile as well as a dogi) we'll have fun!

David Dunn
25th February 2010, 00:21
Hi Lucy,
I'm not sure how to read your post. Do you mean that the UK situation wouldn't have arisen if WSKO behaved in a more spiritual way? Or if the BSKF branchmasters did?

Shorinji Kempo as budo aims to make a practitioner who is confident enough to change themselves through their own work, and to do it in a manner which is beneficial to those around them. It is quite a simple core philosophy: jiko kakuritsu and jita kyoraku. I think it is essential that Shorinji Kempo instructors understand this. I don't think that it is necessary to live daily life like a monastic Buddhist. In fact Kaiso rejected that form of living.

At the risk of repeating what several others have said, the Shorinji Kempo group does not appear to hold this core philosophy as the most important aspect any more. The name "ShorinjiKempo", a meaningless corporate symbol, allegiance to a supreme leader, and the training of branchmasters as franchisees is the central message in the "Gist" document, and the message given at Bali last year.

Lucy Jones
25th February 2010, 09:12
Forgive me for not using proper E Budo quotations - I haven't really worked out how to do that sort of thing yet.

Sean - thank you for your friendly invitation. It was nice to hear your reminiscences about Poole dojo in the old days. I must admit that at Oxford with Takahashi Sensei we tended to have howa each session. I agree that Kongo Zen is a thread that should run through kenshi and branchmasters, but my point is - do we have the capacity to teach and demonstrate this? Even if branches did have howa every session do those teaching have a sufficient grasp of Kongo Zen to teach it at more than a very superficial level?

David - Striving to live according to the eightfold path does not mean that one has to live a monastic existence! (ask my husband and kids that!)

Much as I do not want to get drawn into the specific British debate, I did allude to the situation in the UK so it is fair enough for you to press me on this. I did say that I thought that a person's spiritual development is a matter personal to them. It is not for me to say that someone has behaved more spiritually than another even if I did feel qualified to comment.

I have not been directly involved in the 'situation', and have just heard bits and pieces of information as things have unfolded. I have seen a few emails and posts on the internet. My main observation from what I have seen is that there has been a lot of angry and harsh words. When such anger is expressed verbally or via email one can't help but wonder whether trying to keep to right speech was a factor in people's minds at the time of saying/writing it. I am sure that we would all agree that in 'an ideal world' we could discuss issues without resorting to such anger.

None of us are perfect - of course - unless we have reached enlightenment, so it is completely understandable that we make mistakes and inadvertently cause suffering to others. However, if we are genuinely consider our practice of Shorinji Kempo as a spiritual path then every day we need to try to ensure that our actions do not cause harm or suffering to others, and that we strive to bring benefits. If our actions have brought harm or suffering then we need to make a mental resolution to try not to make the same mistake again.

When I asked my question I genuinely wanted to know whether people practicing SK tried to implement its spiritual teachings in daily life or whether it was something which was viewed as a nice historical basis but largely irrelevent in our society/today's world.

Indar
25th February 2010, 09:28
I first joined up a long time ago (when Sensei Chris Lloyd was wearing a green belt!)
I am not proselytising, I don't think that everyone should have to be a Buddhist, but in order to study SK fully surely one should be taught by someone who has a respect and appreciation of the spiritual aspects of the art?

Interesting that you mention Chris Lloyd, who probably as much as anyone in the BSKF demonstrates that SK is a spiritual path.

The picture of the BSKF given in this forum is one-sided, and not representative of what happens on a day-to-day basis.

Chris, (and the other people who do the mundane work required to run any organisation) represents what spirituality is about; doesn't complain or whinge, just sees what needs to be done for the organisation to function and does it.

dirk.bruere
25th February 2010, 15:58
The picture of the BSKF given in this forum is one-sided, and not representative of what happens on a day-to-day basis.

True because most Kenshi, especially junior Kenshi, neither know nor care.
It's a different matter for those of us who have practiced for decades.

paul browne
26th February 2010, 00:25
Gassho

Interesting that you mention Chris Lloyd, who probably as much as anyone in the BSKF demonstrates that SK is a spiritual path.

Chris, (and the other people who do the mundane work required to run any organisation) represents what spirituality is about; doesn't complain or whinge, just sees what needs to be done for the organisation to function and does it.

This is one of the plainest and most truthful statements I've read on this forum in....forever.(and not a wiki link in sight ;))

I say this as someone who has no desire to involve himself in organising but has seen how thankless and unappreciated a task this can be (I know Indar has first hand experience of this).

Is Shorinji Kempo (still) a spiritual path? I've never thought of Budo as being like church. I think it's as spiritual a path as you choose to make it. The Howa is there, there are translated lectures from Kaiso on line. You can fill in the gaps with buddhist studies if you wish. If you want it to be spiritual then 'Kyakka Shoko'.

Just my take on it, others will have thiers:)

Paul
kesshu

David Dunn
26th February 2010, 00:42
I must admit that at Oxford with Takahashi Sensei we tended to have howa each session.

I didn't realise you trained with Takahashi sensei. He hosted our trip to Uzbekistan in 2005, while he was the Secretary of the Japanese Embassy there. It was quite a trip. Kenji got knocked out in one of the demonstrations, and Takahashi-san applied some very strong kappo. I was one of the few people who bothered to get my jabs. I spent a very memorable evening talking to him and drinking vodka till 4am, while everyone else was, er, suffering the consequences of not getting their jabs :)

My main observation from what I have seen is that there has been a lot of angry and harsh words. When such anger is expressed verbally or via email one can't help but wonder whether trying to keep to right speech was a factor in people's minds at the time of saying/writing it. I am sure that we would all agree that in 'an ideal world' we could discuss issues without resorting to such anger.

There have certainly been a lot of angry words. I am not sure that "right speech" precludes angry words. Sometimes angry words are appropriate. The converse of this point for me is that I have sometimes been dismayed that people do not look beyond the manner of delivery to the substantive points. Of course, you could say that if you keep the manner of delivery polite, then there is nothing left but the substantive point.

dirk.bruere
26th February 2010, 01:01
There have certainly been a lot of angry words. I am not sure that "right speech" precludes angry words. Sometimes angry words are appropriate. The converse of this point for me is that I have sometimes been dismayed that people do not look beyond the manner of delivery to the substantive points. Of course, you could say that if you keep the manner of delivery polite, then there is nothing left but the substantive point.

Part of the problem is the medium.
There is no emotional feedback or body language to either emphasize or soften the words. Much of what has been said here in the past would not be said if the participants were face to face. The result is sometimes a nasty escalation.

I have been on the Net for 13 years, and regularly (daily) in religious, political and technical newsgroups. On one hand I've grown a "thick skin" to some extent and got used to abusive psychotic rants from people bordering on the mentally ill. On the other, the downside is that I can be quite harsh when making a point, without realizing it. And on the gripping hand, very "legalistic" and overly analytic in some circumstances. Which is one reason I have stayed out of the constitution stuff, having written several already for different orgs.

David Dunn
26th February 2010, 01:19
Part of the problem is the medium.

This is an interesting point Dirk. Unix manuals 20 and more years ago pointed out the dangers of email flaming. On the other hand it is the written word, which has been used forever to communicate. I work in a software development team, which has engineers in multiple geographical locations. We simply would not be able to deliver rapidly without skype, email, wikis, document management systems. This is the modern way of communicating, so we have to learn how to do it properly. A case in point is the constitution steering group. We simply could not have written a constitution so quickly without email and document sharing systems.

dirk.bruere
26th February 2010, 01:26
This is an interesting point Dirk. Unix manuals 20 and more years ago pointed out the dangers of email flaming. On the other hand it is the written word, which has been used forever to communicate. I work in a software development team, which has engineers in multiple geographical locations. We simply would not be able to deliver rapidly without skype, email, wikis, document management systems. This is the modern way of communicating, so we have to learn how to do it properly. A case in point is the constitution steering group. We simply could not have written a constitution so quickly without email and document sharing systems.

I agree totally - when it comes to objective technical issues.

The problems arise when there is subjective and emotional content being discussed. That's why Usenet technical NGs are (on the whole) far nicer places than the religious and political ones. Ironically, I discovered early on that often the most vicious groups were the ones that tended to be dedicated to the most humane and compassionate ideals. My only hypothesis was that "healing" spiritual groups attracted the sickest people.

David Dunn
26th February 2010, 01:34
I agree totally - when it comes to objective technical issues.

The problems arise when there is subjective and emotional content being discussed. That's why Usenet technical NGs are (on the whole) far nicer places than the religious and political ones. Ironically, I discovered early on that often the most vicious groups were the ones that tended to be dedicated to the most humane and compassionate ideals. My only hypothesis was that "healing" spiritual groups attracted the sickest people.

Er. I joined uk.rec.gardening a while back. I never posted, but it was amazing. "should I use a petrol mower or an electric flymo" - six posts later "you dumb f*cktard ..."

However I agree. Organisations that tend to a moral philosophy attract those who are conceited enough to pass moral judgement.

dirk.bruere
26th February 2010, 01:47
However I agree. Organisations that tend to a moral philosophy attract those who are conceited enough to pass moral judgment.

Maybe a better Buddha than me would spend some time with them trying to help, but I think it might be a waste of time. Or at least, more good can be accomplished elsewhere. [Just been reading the Diamond Sutra]. I will strive for a better class of illusion (Parable of the burning house).

Ewok
26th February 2010, 15:18
SK today is not what I joined 30 years ago, hence I am (finally) leaving.
Of course, if you are *really* interested you can learn to read write and speak Japanese, go to Japan and study KZ at a Doin.

I think I must be doing it wrong... I read write and speak Japanese, and train in a doin... haven't had a single howa yet :cry:

Isn't SK supposed to be the lesson? "Shorinji Kempo is a gyo" etc etc.

dirk.bruere
26th February 2010, 20:04
Isn't SK supposed to be the lesson? "Shorinji Kempo is a gyo" etc etc.

Doshin So did not think so.
SK was a means to an end.

Andartar
5th March 2010, 18:52
I think I must be doing it wrong... I read write and speak Japanese, and train in a doin... haven't had a single howa yet :cry:

Maybe we should change places, at the doin where I'm training we have howa for 15-40 minutes almost every session. Sadly though my Japanese isn't up for the job. :(

colin linz
5th March 2010, 22:40
Todoroki always used to give a little talk midway through the lesson. Everyone would sit down in a circle, and he would deliver a brief talk on different aspects. They would usually involve current happenings to highlight his point and were not overly formal. Latter he started running philosophy only classes at his home once per month. I have to admit that I enjoyed these, as I could ask and receive feedback on various issues.

Steve Williams
5th March 2010, 22:59
Mizuno used to run philosophy as you say Todoroki used to (in a circle about half way through the lesson) which I used to follow, because Mizuno was my original sensei and you follow what you are taught I guess.....

Now however I do a similar thing but at the end of class, where we can be a bit more relaxed, due to the physical class being finished, and it gives everyone a short time to cool off before leaving (our new venue does not have showers :( )
I am a little more relaxed about the topics as well, if nobody suggests a topic then I will pick a set syllabus topic, but if someone wants to discuss something that has occured that week then I will use that and try to incorporate (or encourage them to) some Shorinji Kempo philosophy into it........
(Last session we discussed the BSKF/WSKO situation).......

colin linz
5th March 2010, 23:29
Relaxed environments are good, they encourage questions, you can then get an idea of their understanding.

Miraclejack
6th March 2010, 11:36
Mizuno. ????

Williams Sensei, I expected better from you.

Rob Gassin
6th March 2010, 12:15
????

Is your concern that Steve did not refer to Mizuno as sensei???

If so, I think you're being petty ;).

AJ-UK
6th March 2010, 12:48
????

I was under the impression that Mizuno has been expelled and all qualifications removed which means he is not a sensei in Shorinji Kempo anymore. Steve Moore pointed this out earlier in the week.

It would be incorrect to refer to him as sensei now.

Presumably this is what you are referring to.

---------------
Hagrid

David Dunn
6th March 2010, 12:55
"Sensei" is not a qualification. Saying "Mizuno" is extremely impolite, like saying "Horn" or "Williams".

Rob Gassin
6th March 2010, 13:01
I was under the impression which means he is not a sensei in Shorinji Kempo anymore. Steve Moore pointed this out earlier in the week.

It would be incorrect to refer to him as sensei now.

Presumably this is what you are referring to.

---------------
Hagrid

You're correct Alex, Mizuno has been expelled and all qualifications removed by WSKO. However, you will agree that this decision has had no impact whatsoever on his technical skill in or knowledge of Shorinji Kempo.I'm sure there are many who still consider Mizuno their sensei. WSKO is not the universal determinent of who is a sensei and who's not.

Steve Williams
6th March 2010, 13:33
"Sensei" is not a qualification. Saying "Mizuno" is extremely impolite, like saying "Horn" or "Williams".
My understanding is that the Japanese will use the family name more than the given name, so it would be more impolite for me to have written "Tameo"?
I am however prepared to be corrected on that point.

Maybe I should have put "Mizuno sensei" or "Mr Mizuno"?
But then maybe I should be referred to as sensei and not just Steve, Russell Jenkins sensei has been referred to as Russell and Mr Jenkins, not sensei Todoroki, not sensei Gassin........
This is a more informal setting and I do not enforce the sensei rule as it is a little petty......

Miraclejack
6th March 2010, 13:35
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments about my post.

This is a highly charged situation, both politically and emotionally, and words - or their omission - need to be considered carefully.

I have known Steve Sensei for many years ( I knew him whe he was thin....well thinner) and have always found him to be a man of integrity, but I feel that here he has not considered deeply enough the ramifications of his action.

His ommission of the word Sensei could be taken to mean that all of the past history ,the encouragement, teaching, frendship and support from his Sensei over the past twenty-odd years means nothing any longer.

As Colin says, the word Sensei is an honorific. Not a job description. Where is the harm in using it when referring to someone you have learned from for a large part of your life.

Oversensitive...possibly but as I have said, these are emotional times.

I apologise if I have misrepresented Steve and will gladly retract any implied criticism if I am out of order.

On the other hand it may be that the ommission was deliberate. Politics happen....

AJ-UK
6th March 2010, 13:46

Fair enough, although people are often called by their surname in social places such as the playground or sports field. I think the point was one is not obliged to use the term sensei anymore, but perhaps Mr would have been better than no title?

You're correct Alex, Mizuno has been expelled and all qualifications removed by WSKO. However, you will agree that this decision has had no impact whatsoever on his technical skill in or knowledge of Shorinji Kempo.I'm sure there are many who still consider Mizuno their sensei. WSKO is not the universal determinent of who is a sensei and who's not.

From a technical perspective, every kenshi would love to be that good, cannot argue that at all. I have always understood sensei to be an honorific term, similar to the way doctor is used; a doctor does not lose all of their knowledge if they are struck off but they are no longer a doctor.

While I have been thinking about my reply, other posts have appeared clarifying policy and stance on the matter, so this is probably defunct.

Steve Williams
6th March 2010, 14:01
The ommision of the honorific in this case was just an ommission, no deliberate political agenda intended.
The fact that Colin referred to "Todoroki" (no sensei) did sway my decision, as I quoted him and it would have seemed that I was getting at him by saying Mizuno sensei and then Todoroki.... Then I would have seemed the petty one ;)

obviously I still hold Mizuno SENSEI in high regard for his part in my shorinji kempo development.

We have to stop seeing political agenda behind every word..... The vast majority of the time there is no deep political meaning behind the words.

dirk.bruere
6th March 2010, 16:44
We have to stop seeing political agenda behind every word..... The vast majority of the time there is no deep political meaning behind the words.

Then perhaps you can point me to a previous post where you refer to Sensei Mizuno as "Mizuno", before all this BSKF/WSKO cr@ap blew up. If you can do so, accept my apology.

colin linz
6th March 2010, 22:10
As far as I'm concerned I rarely use sensei in informal settings. Exceptions are when referring to Japanese sensei that I know expect it out of cultural conditioning. If someone like Steve or Rob found this unacceptable I would gladly change the way I addressed them. I don't use sensei when I refer to Todoroki these days, and this is due to a shift in my personal perception of him. I learned a lot from my years with him, and I enjoyed his classes. He also disappointed me badly, and I felt he didn't reflect the values he professed to teach or those of Shorinji Kempo. These days he has no branch that I'm aware of, and in fact he may even be teaching Karate, he was training in it for some time prior to our federation problems.

dirk.bruere
6th March 2010, 22:24
As far as I'm concerned I rarely use sensei in informal settings. Exceptions are when referring to Japanese sensei that I know expect it out of cultural conditioning. If someone like Steve or Rob found this unacceptable I would gladly change the way I addressed them. I don't use sensei when I refer to Todoroki these days, and this is due to a shift in my personal perception of him. I learned a lot from my years with him, and I enjoyed his classes. He also disappointed me badly, and I felt he didn't reflect the values he professed to teach or those of Shorinji Kempo. These days he has no branch that I'm aware of, and in fact he may even be teaching Karate, he was training in it for some time prior to our federation problems.

I don't have a problem with any of that.
I told my students to call me "Dirk" when it was not in a formal SK context.
However, none of this has much bearing on what I wrote above.
It's the sudden change that is noticeable on e-budo.

I could be wrong, but I bet that the number of instances in the past (before this feud erupted) on e-budo where "Mizuno" appears without "Sensei" attached is negligible. And if it does occur, it could be likely due to an error on the part of the writer - not as a calculated form of address.

Rob Gassin
6th March 2010, 22:51
Cultural differences are interesting. in Melbourne, we have always called our BMs by their 1st name - even in class - Hisa, Toshi, Nick and now Mike. Similarly, most of my patients call me Roband very many call our PM Kevin. The apparent Japanese and UK obsession obsession with titlesis somewhat foreign to the Australian psyche, and sounds somewhat petty and laughable :laugh:.

dirk.bruere
6th March 2010, 23:02
Cultural differences are interesting. in Melbourne, we have always called our BMs by their 1st name - even in class - Hisa, Toshi, Nick and now Mike. Similarly, most of my patients call me Roband very many call our PM Kevin. The apparent Japanese and UK obsession obsession with titlesis somewhat foreign to the Australian psyche, and sounds somewhat petty and laughable :laugh:.

I quite agree.
And I would go further.
Certainly in the UK there is/was an expectation that the student should rush to offer to help sensei carry his bags, or queue up to get his food at summercamp etc.

My view is the exact opposite. If I want a student to carry my bags I will do it for a reason other than mild convenience - I do not expect them to offer. Carrying my own stuff makes me stronger.

As for sensei's eating first, only if they have to be somewhere else during lunchtime. In my opinion, it should be like the army where officers eat last. Because if there isn't enough food, or its got cold, whose fault is it?

The whole kohei/sempei cultural thing is too much like Tom Brown's Schooldays for my taste.

Anders Pettersson
7th March 2010, 18:35
Maybe we should change places, at the doin where I'm training we have howa for 15-40 minutes almost every session. Sadly though my Japanese isn't up for the job. :(

Hi Joakim.

Well it seems that Rakuto is still the same. ;)

I hope everything is going alright with you in Kyoto and Rakuto. Would be good to hear more from you on how things are working out over there.

Take care and give my best regards to Morikawa-sensei and the kenshi in Rakuto.

/Anders