PDA

View Full Version : Profit or Promotional

luar
18th February 2001, 05:10
Gassho:

This is a new spin-off thread from the Star Wars topic in which it was discussed that one of the leading evil characters for the new Star Wars movie could possibly be an actor who is a practioner of Shorinji Kempo.

Since the basic foundations of our art is for non-profit, the question is can this actor receive the support of hombu for this activity. At what point can the line be drawn between personal expoitation versus promoting our art and philosophy.

Personaly, I do not have a problem with this but perhaps that is an American way of thinking. At the same time, I have been a student for only 6 months and perhaps I would feel different from those that have studied for years.

George Hyde
19th February 2001, 11:00
I don't see the problem here.

If the rumour is true, he'll be paid as an actor (rightly or wrongly, I hear he's not that good) and not as a Shorinji Kempo Practitioner.

Later,

Anders Pettersson
19th February 2001, 12:50
Gassho.

When I informed Hombu (while visiting in May last year) about this rumor they just seemed to be interested in a way that this could be a good thing for spreading information about Shorinji Kempo to more people.

I don't think that they even consider it to be any problem what so ever in regards of this guy being paid to show Shorinji Kempo techniques on the screen.

But Hombu could not find his name in their records so from what I understand he is not a kenshi.

/Anders

luar
19th February 2001, 14:45
Gassho Friends:

As stated on the other thread, Yamaguchi could be a stage name.

One thing that all of these martial arts actors do is merchandising. This could conceivably include instructional books and videos, both of which we all know are in high demand but short supply. Would this be problem?

And here is another caveat: Manji Mania!!! We know that this is constant hot topic here, imagine how the Hollywood-ization of the Manji would even throw more flame onto the fire by outsiders. It could marginalize SK into some kind of Jim Jones cult.

Assuming all goes well for Yamaguchi, it would be to his benefit to secure early cooperation with Hombu.

Ciao,

hsuntzu
22nd February 2001, 22:15
Gassho All.

Aren't we jumping to conclusions here? That this actor would be showing Shorinji Kempo's techniques on the film and that he might produce instructional video's and books?

At a bit more general level. Producing any sort of video, book, etc. under the "Shorinji Kempo" name - without Hombu's authorization - will be a legal issue. "Shorinji Kempo" is a registered service mark of the Shorinji Kempo Federation (aka Hombu) in the USA (and other WSKO countries). It's not a generic name that can be use freely.

Also the "ken" logo on the patch is a registered service mark and trademark.

An actor, who may have practiced Shorinji Kempo in the past, being paid as an actor in a role that involves some physical activities..... to me doesn't seem like a problem. He may not be an active kenshi to begin with. Besides, he would be acting as a character in a movie; not really promoting the philosophy and techniques of Shorinji Kempo.

Kesshu