PDA

View Full Version : Media Use

Chad Bruttomesso
19th February 2001, 18:48
Something that has been on my mind as of late is; what is the validity/value of media sources (i.e. books) for instructional purposes? I realize that there are hundreds of books, videos, websites, etc. out there that offer "instruction" for Aikido in some way. Do you see these as being of use to you and your training? How do you use these resources? How do you rate them effectively? Possbily more difficult, how has the saturation of these resources effected the essence of Aikido training? I am looking forward to what people have to say on this.

I have some rather strong opinions but would love to get some responses before throwing them out there.

Thank you,

Joseph Svinth
20th February 2001, 09:50
Colonel Walter Davis writing in "Interactive Reading and the Art of War" (*Marine Corps Gazette*, July 2000, page 53): "For several years, I have been obsessed with professional reading lists. Even before the recent resurrection of the historical study of the art of war, I collected reading lists with the zeal of an antique collector." But over time Davis found that his passion for collecting bibliographies was not much different from collecting baseball cards. After all, the purpose of professional reading isn’t to tell your friends that you’ve read a book but to gain insight into why other professionals did what they did.

Some additional thoughts, this time from Jay Luvaas, at http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/luvaas.htm

* If you want a new idea, read an old book.

* ‘Tis the good reader that makes the good book.

Botom line? You get out of books, videos, and websites what you put into them. The exercise is interactive.

Hey -- kinda like class!

Yamantaka
20th February 2001, 13:26
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thebrutto
[B]Something that has been on my mind as of late is; what is the validity/value of media sources (i.e. books) for instructional purposes?

YAMANTAKA : That's another way of expressing the false dichotomy : THEORY or PRACTICE. Why not Theory AND practice?
I think that began with teachers of low cultural level (and there were many in the old days) that felt discomfort with their students' level of intelligence. So they began to spread the myth (recently repeated by BJJ Patriarch, Hélio Gracie) that "the best students are the unninteligent ones. The intellectual ones are bad students". I don't think so. A good practitioner without intelligence is like a plumber without much studying. He may be very good, up to a certain level. After that he just stops.
Look at the old masters. They all wrote books on their arts and ideas. Ueshiba Sensei wrote BUDO RENSHU; Funakoshi Sensei wrote many books; Kano Sensei wrote also, not just books, but many articles on his ideas for magazines and made speeches at seminars. What does that means : that they were doing something useless?
Of course, among these books and internet sites that are many that are just trash. But what of it? Let the reader beware and choose the best.
IMHO
Yamantaka

Chad Bruttomesso
20th February 2001, 15:48
As an avid collector of books I agree that they are definitely useful. Over the years I have used them as reference when trying to remember something I had been taught in class or to get new ideas. In addition, from a historical standpoint books are beneficial to recognizing the point of reference that our Sensei is coming from. Also, books can help us realize how Aikido has changed over the years. Basically, I find that books have much to offer the discerning reader.

What I have mixed feelings on are video and the Internet in relation to Aikido. Over time societies change, technology progresses and people change. For example, I can’t remember the last time I jumped into the covered wagon when I needed to run to the store for a gallon of milk. More often than not I take the car. My point is, if we utilize new technologies in/for our training how does that affect the essence of the martial art?

For me the Internet is an invaluable source for furthering my training. Through the Internet written material that I may have never discovered before is available. Also, I am able to converse with people throughout the world, which brings forth numerous ideas and points of view. Is it just me or have others noticed how varied the schools of thought on Aikido are? This is wonderful. On the other hand I often find myself sifting through all of the garbage for those few fine jewels. I wonder how people with no knowledge of the subject can manage to find those truly beneficial resources while avoiding the “slightly off” ones. Forums like this definitely help.

The whole idea of people using videos as the sole source of instruction has been covered before (quite possibly a dead horse that I shouldn’t beat). Videos are useful after you have been training a while and can recognize what is going on.

At the heart of all this blather is my real concern; the relationship between sensei and student. This relationship is extremely important in the transmission of any martial art. There has to be a certain bond that is formed over time, which consists of respect, admiration and regular interaction. What my sensei shows me is very different from what I see in videos or read in books. The feeling often transmits more than the intellectual understanding. How will the current trend of intellectualization of martial arts affect this sensei/student relationship? I am not sure I can answer this question, but I am still concerned.

Once again, these are just my opinions (these and a few $ will get you a cup of coffee).

Thanks for suffering through this entire post and have a great day.

Thank you,

Yamantaka
20th February 2001, 20:35
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thebrutto
[B]As an avid collector of books I agree that they are definitely useful. Basically, I find that books have much to offer the discerning reader.

YAMANTAKA : God gave us intelligence for us to use it, in every possible way.

What I have mixed feelings on are video and the Internet in relation to Aikido. My point is, if we utilize new technologies in/for our training how does that affect the essence of the martial art?

YAMANTAKA : Videos and the Internet are not very different from books. They are sources of information. What you get is what you put on them.

For me the Internet is an invaluable source for furthering my training. Through the Internet written material that I may have never discovered before is available. Also, I am able to converse with people throughout the world, which brings forth numerous ideas and points of view.

YAMANTAKA : There's a huge amount of trash on the net and in videos. It's up to you to mine for the few gems and try to profit from them.

The whole idea of people using videos as the sole source of instruction has been covered before (quite possibly a dead horse that I shouldn’t beat). Videos are useful after you have been training a while and can recognize what is going on.
At the heart of all this blather is my real concern; the relationship between sensei and student. This relationship is extremely important in the transmission of any martial art. There has to be a certain bond that is formed over time, which consists of respect, admiration and regular interaction. What my sensei shows me is very different from what I see in videos or read in books. The feeling often transmits more than the intellectual understanding. How will the current trend of intellectualization of martial arts affect this sensei/student relationship? I am not sure I can answer this question, but I am still concerned.

YAMANTAKA : I personally prefer to use books, videos and the Net as a complement of my training with a sensei. But do you know something? In history, there are many examples of masters who developed their arts WITHOUT teachers. Musashi, for one and Hwang Kee(founder of Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do) for another. But I agree that they are rarities.
Best regards

MarkF
21st February 2001, 08:29
Of course, among these books and internet sites that are many that are just trash. But what of it? Let the reader beware and choose the best.
IMHO
Yamantaka

Originally posted by thebrutto

On the other hand I often find myself sifting through all of the garbage for those few fine jewels. I wonder how people with no knowledge of the subject can manage to find those truly beneficial resources while avoiding the “slightly off” ones. Forums like this definitely help.

Stated and translated!:)

Sometimes people say what you want to say before you get that chance. In the two quotes above, I am glad I didn't have that chance.

You never know where you will find that "gem." Generally, though, I think many wade through it longer than is comfortable, then has to go through the trash once more. Some are just plain lucky, or they have a knack for finding it.

I just found two.

Mark

The Piranah
30th March 2001, 12:47
Well i am a student actually making an aikido training video as my end of year project. and i am an aikido student at blue belt grade.
I think that books and videos especially, are useful as long as you bear in mind that each sensei shows things differently and that going to your aikido lessons at the dojo will help you improve far better than will a book or video. For extra infromation though, they are invalubale