PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu in Atlanta, GA

Mike Haftel
1st May 2010, 22:36
I'm looking for a legit school of Jujutsu (or related art) in Atlanta. I'n not particular on the style, so long as it's a good school. I'd like to stay away from Aikido and Judo. I'm even open to Ryuku arts (I like what Taika Oyata's group does).

So far, all I can find is Judo, Aikido, Kendo and modern stuff like BJJ and boxing.

Thanks in advance.

dengle
2nd May 2010, 00:46
I don't know where you are in Atlanta, but start here

mrmoore@mindspring.com

Mike Haftel
2nd May 2010, 01:20
I don't know where you are in Atlanta, but start here

mrmoore@mindspring.com

Any other details on who that is? Just emailing some random person doesn't seem right to me.

dengle
2nd May 2010, 05:53
Originally trained in Hakko Ryu and Motobu ha Shito Ryu Karate.
Probably going on 35 years or more of training.
I think he is largely independent now, but still may use the Hakko Ryu name. I'm not sure, I haven't spoken to him much since I moved.
This is a no-nonsense, hard core school.

Stéphan Thériault
2nd May 2010, 06:05
If you are looking for classical jujutsu, then there is kashima shinryu offered at the university of Georgia. The main web site for the ryu is at: http://www.kashima-shinryu.jp/English/index.html
The web site for the UGA branch is at: http://www.uga.edu/ksr/
If you are interested in ksr, and haven't done so yet, may I suggest you read "Legacies of the Sword" by Karl Friday (who is the head ksr instructor at UGA).

Duke Meade
2nd May 2010, 13:45
Hello Mike San,

I am Duke Meade, I have a small Jujutsu Dojo in Columbus Ga., it is about an hour or so, south of Atlanta. Please check out my web site www.liveoakdojo.com

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Itashimasu

Sincerely,

Duke Meade

Mike Haftel
2nd May 2010, 16:47
If you are looking for classical jujutsu, then there is kashima shinryu offered at the university of Georgia. The main web site for the ryu is at: http://www.kashima-shinryu.jp/English/index.html
The web site for the UGA branch is at: http://www.uga.edu/ksr/
If you are interested in ksr, and haven't done so yet, may I suggest you read "Legacies of the Sword" by Karl Friday (who is the head ksr instructor at UGA).

Yeah, Kashima Shinryu looks very interesting and right up my ally. However, it seems that you must be a student at UGA to train. But, I sent Mr. Friday an email and I'll see what he says. Thank you :)

Originally trained in Hakko Ryu and Motobu ha Shito Ryu Karate.
Probably going on 35 years or more of training.
I think he is largely independent now, but still may use the Hakko Ryu name. I'm not sure, I haven't spoken to him much since I moved.
This is a no-nonsense, hard core school.

I'll send him an email. Thanks.

Hello Mike San,

I am Duke Meade, I have a small Jujutsu Dojo in Columbus Ga., it is about an hour or so, south of Atlanta. Please check out my web site www.liveoakdojo.com

Sincerely,

Duke Meade

よろしくお願いします。

Could you explain a little about what you teach (the Japanese arts) beyond what is listed on the profile page of your website? I don't know much about Sato Kinbei. You teach Daito ryu, Yagu Shingan ryu and Asayama Ichiden ryu? Do you teach the entire curriculum of these arts and are you directly affiliated with these arts' organizations in Japan? Thanks you.

Duke Meade
2nd May 2010, 18:41
Johnson San ,

Thank you for your reply.

When you speak of Sato Sensei , please say Sato Sensei and not Sato Kinbei.
If you are intrested in knowing more about Sato Sensei, there is a link on my website or just go to www.jujutsu.com.
Yes I am afiliated with the Honbu in Japan. I am the Beikoku Shibucho.
I do not teach all of the Aikijujutsu, just some aspects of it.
Yes to Asayama Ichiden ryu, Yagyu Shin Gan ryu, Daiwado,Taichichuan, Baguachang, Hsing-I chuan.

Sincerely,
Duke Meade

Mike Haftel
2nd May 2010, 19:39
Johnson San ,

If you are intrested in knowing more about Sato Sensei, there is a link on my website or just go to www.jujutsu.com.
Yes to Asayama Ichiden ryu, Yagyu Shin Gan ryu, Daiwado,Taichichuan, Baguachang, Hsing-I chuan.

Sincerely,
Duke Meade

Mr. Meade, sorry for calling Sato Sensei by his full name. And my name is not Johnson. :)

Duke Meade
3rd May 2010, 12:15
Haftel San,

Sumimasen, Very sorry to get your name all wrong.

It was not that you said his full name , but that there was no mention of him as Sensei. Sato Sensei was a great Sensei. Sensei compared to mister or teacher just does not carry the same weight.

Dozo yoroshiku onegai itashimasu

Sincerely,

Duke Meade

Larry Feldman
4th August 2010, 00:34
There is a black belt student of Michael DePasquale in town. The style originally was Hakko-ryu. While the Hakko-ryu has been preserved, there has been considerable modification.

Send me an email at shinbudo@earthlink.net and I will send you Tom's phone number.

Lance Gatling
4th August 2010, 16:44
Johnson San ,

Sincerely,
Duke Meade
Sato sensei was by all accounts an interesting gent. And apparently his deshi have a sense of humor. ;)

The English page to which you refer, http://www.jujutsu.com/jujutsu/html02/n-english.htm
calls him simply 'Sato Kinbei' 27 times. :eek: Perhaps you would care to correct his daughter, the author.

And on his own page, http://www.jujutsu.com/jujutsu/html02/n-profile_E.htm, he calls himself Sato Kinbei eight times. As you call him Mr. Sato on your own website.

The Japanese pages usually call him 佐藤金兵衛翁, literally, 'old man Sato Kinbei', but sometimes it can be translated at the 'revered X', in reference to the deceased. But often just 'Sato Kinbei'. As many truly famous people in Japan, he is often referred by his name, as it is somewhat unusual and well known in his field. Same as Kano Jigoro - martial artists know who he is, it is not necessary to call him Kano shihan, and I would never dream of correcting anyone who called him simply Kano Jigoro.

And, incidentally, nowhere on their own website can I find where the folks at the Japan hombu refer to Sato sensei as the 'Grand Master' of anything - is that meant to be a reference to his being a soke of something or another? Gikan ryu? There are references to a 'kancho' but it's someone from another art, not Sato sensei.

Anyhow, after I'm gone, if people don't spit when someone mentions my name, I'll be happy.

Humility and honor seem to come in a variety of ways, don't they?

Regards,

Lance Gatling

Duke Meade
4th August 2010, 18:18
Hello Lance San,

I am very sorry to have be labored you. Thank you for your post and letting me know about all of those things. I will make the changes in my web site.

As for correcting Sato Sensei's daughter, I do not think so. I do not see anything wrong there.

Now, it is very natural for me to call Sato Sensei , Sensei, because I always have done so and I always will. So when I am talking to someone about Sato Sensei, or someone is saying his name without sufixing Sensei, or San, or not prefixing with Mr., I feel that it is a bit disrespectful. Even if they are not connected to him, his title should be respected. Also, if you ask someone to use Sensei , I think that is O.K manners.

By the way who was your sensei?

Sincerely,

Duke Meade

Larry Feldman
24th August 2010, 18:54
Mike - The email provided to you was for Mark Moore. He used to teach in Lilburn (north of Atlanta off I-85), off Indian Trail. Not sure if he is still teaching there.

Mike Haftel
29th August 2010, 16:57
Mike - The email provided to you was for Mark Moore. He used to teach in Lilburn (north of Atlanta off I-85), off Indian Trail. Not sure if he is still teaching there.

Yeah, I dropped by his place a few times. Nice guys. :) Since my options are quite limited here in Atlanta, I've been training Judo 4-5 times a week for the past 3 three months. It's fun and great exercise, but I do miss a lot of the ju-waza and striking that I'm used to. Oh well. Nothing I can do I guess.

Walker
10th April 2018, 20:29
Hello Everyone,
I'm posting to this thread to let people know that I am now teaching and accepting students in Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu at Takamatsu Dojo, a private dojo in Decatur (a part of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area.)
THSYR is a comprehensive koryu art that includes an extensive jujutsu curriculum.
I can be contacted at tsyr@amemurakumo.net or at Takamatsu Dojo on FaceBook.