PDA

View Full Version : How to be a good Uke?

GalaxY3
20th February 2001, 04:46
I know this is a big subject. What I want to say is that how can I connect with nage? I found it very frustrating. On the one side, I have to be relaxed. On the other side, I have to keep entering and attacking. While I'm practicing with some black belts, they always tell me to keep full contact so that I don't open myself. Nevertheless, they don't really tell me how to close my openings. Everytime their atami hit me once, I would try to dodge it the next time. Then they would say to me again that I'm not connecting. This situation is becoming really frustrating as I'm getting higher levels. Anyone has same experience?

G3

Chad Bruttomesso
20th February 2001, 15:26
G3,

Welcome to E-Budo. It is the rule of E-Budo that we use our full names. You can do this by either manually typing it in or by setting up a signature. If you would like any assistance please feel free to contact me and I can help you set this up. I look forward to your continued participation here in the Aikido Forum.

Thank you,

BC
20th February 2001, 15:57
I think most, if not all, aikido students struggle with this issue. I'm no expert by any means, but what has started to help me are a few things. One is to identify those sempai in your dojo who seem to have very good ukemi, and watch them perform ukemi and see if you can figure out how they are responding to nage for the various techniques. Then watch them some more. And more. Second is, if possible, to speak to these individuals before or after class and ask them to give you a few pointers. This IS one of the duties of the sempai within the sempai-kohai relationship; that is, to help their kohai in their development and practice. Another thing to do is to keep practicing your rolls and falls (on your own and/or with partners). As you gain more skill and confidence in being able to fall and roll safely out of techniques, you should be able to focus more and more on developing your sensitivity to nage before the fall or pin (i.e., staying connected, giving committed strong attacks, etc.). More than a few of my sempai have stated that they believe the majority of the learning process in aikido is while one is uke, not nage. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Hayate
22nd February 2001, 22:17
Try to follow,relax and have patience,that's the key to everything,blend with the nage, do not try to become an obstacle in his way of completing the technique,instead help him.
When we say relax we mean dynamic relaxation not DEAD relaxation, that means that you are aware and in control of your actions and movements.
Follow this and have patience. do not bother your mind with questions such as ,will this work in the streets,will i be able to use aikido in a sudden attack against me....
continue practising ....it is the only way to reach perfection.

Daniel Pokorny
23rd February 2001, 00:58
GalaxY3,

You're getting great advice here.

It helps me to think of the connection like "sticky hands", if you've ever practiced that. I uke for nage's ranked from 6th dan down to the first timers and you really have to adjust to each individual you work with.

Some things that work for me:

1. Stick to them, don't bounce off when you attack.

2. After the initial attack, flow with the technique but keep trying to maintain your posture. Remember you're not a victicm here. At higher levels of training, you should be trying to counter the techniques.

3. Vary your power throughout the technique like different mixtures of clay. You can have real soft clay and also real hard clay. That varies with the level nage is at.

4. Have fun with it, learning will be difficult otherwise. Attack slower if you can, you're attack controls the speed. Nothing ever wrong with slowing it down if it means you pick up what you need.

btw. I think everyone gets hit once in awhile, at least I do anyway......

Good luck!

Dan P. - Mongo

Mike Collins
23rd February 2001, 01:16
The best advice I've ever heard about this came from Steven Seagal, of all people: Just attack. Don't think about falling; just attack.

When you are newer, you're going to need to attack slowly, but the intent should be there to attack. That doesn't mean try to take some one's head off, but the intent to attack should be constant. Use normal human kindness when you attack, and be respectful, but attack. You cant attack with your butt going in the other direction, and mindlessly raging toward your partner without awareness of your openings isn't an attack, it is making a gift of your center, and no one learns. Be aware of the possibility of striking, but don't hit your partner (at least not at first), the awareness of his openings will get you thinking on the right track, and you'll naturally start to fill your own openings with practice. Keep your head above your butt as much as is reasonable.

My personal pet peeve is someone taking a fall before we even start the technique. That usually indicates that they're falling, not taking ukemi after a sincere attack; I think there is a difference.

The art is hidden in the ukemi. That's the right place to focus your energy. Good luck!!

GalaxY3
27th February 2001, 04:02
I really appreciate these help. Being a good uke is hard, but I'm trying. I guess it's just take time and practice. Thanx again, everyone.

Joseph Svinth
27th February 2001, 11:17
In his book, George Leonard gave some advice I have always liked: "Play hard, play fair, nobody hurt."

Sillal
13th March 2001, 15:38
I agree with many of the posts here. Keep in mind that when you are Uke you are still training!!! The purpose of Ukemi is to control your fall. Not all ukemi is sutemi!!!

Deliver an honest attack, not exceeding by to much your tori's abillity to deal with the attack. As he throws you, don't lose track of him and what he is doing. Even if you do not take advantage of it, always know where his weak points are, and how you could take advantage them.

When you are thrown, relax and try to "control" your fall. I really like to pick where and how I land, though truly this is a basic form of countering tori's technique.

Also, when being Uke, keep in mind that just because you have hit the matt it doesn't mean your attention should lapse. Know where you are, how to defend if need be, and be aware of your surroundings. Having bodies flying all around you should be high motivation for the last point.

Lance Boggs